making flight in rome off ship

andreecruisemom

Does anyone know if it is feasible to take a 12:20pm flight out of rome if your ship is scheduled to dock at 7 am? We are on the Noordam 6/30 cruise and the flight we want to take leaves at 12:20. I've heard the airport is about 1hour and 1/2 from the dock. We would probably get a driver to meet us at the dock and take us directly there. Otherwise, we have to stay the night in Rome and catch a flight the next day.

Thanks!!!!!

First question is, have you booked air through the cruise line? If yes, you will likely be in the first or second group off. The ships usally come in earlier to Rome than posted. The bus ride is about an hour from the dock to the airport. We left the boat (Galaxy) at 6:00 AM (they docked about 5 AM), and the bus left at 6:30 AM, and we were at the airport about 7:30 AM. It took about 2 hours to complete check-in, and we were at the gate at 9:30 AM. We made our 11:00 AM flight with plenty to spare, and it left early due to headwinds on the north Atlantic and the fact that everyone had checked in and were ready to go. DAL did this so people could make their connections in Atlanta.

'Miner

I'd definitely arrange my own transportation - it isn't nearly as expensive as you might think. If you take the HAL bus, you have to contend with the possible delays of other passengers.

We had a nice Mercedes minivan (never seen one before!) wth A/C, comfy seats, & a great driver. It was about $80EU for four people, back in late 2004 when the exchange rate was pretty bad.

We made it from downtown Rome to the ship in just about an hour, but it was a weekday, midmorning/noon time.

If you are booked in a Suite, you can get priority disembarkation, but HAL does a pretty good job of getting those pax with flights and connections off first, imo.

If you've never been to Rome and don't know when you might be returning - an overnight is an awesome experience. We had a blast, and found a wonderful hotel that exceeded every expectation for about $120EU per couple for the night. :)

We're looking at different ways to get from the airport to the ship too (in June). I wish we booked our air (and transfers) through HAL. Making all of these plans on our own is becoming a real pain!

If you know of/ hear of any reliable sources, please pass them along! Thanks in advance!

Can't wait to sail on the Noordam!

Gail

Gail -

There were a couple of car services that were referred to me, one I can think of off the top of my head is Bob's Limo - ours was arranged in advance through our hotel concierge, via email.

You are probably saving a huge amount of money booking your own air and transfers - and from my own experience with HAL's air, you don't always get the most expeditious itinerary.

I'll see if I can dig up the name of the tour company the hotel used. I would highly recommend them.

Thanks for your help! I know of the web site "driverinrome.com" but don't know of anyone who has used them. I'm sure there are other Noordam cruisers that will be on our flight that may need a ride from the airport to the ship. We will arrive at FCO on June 10 at 10:20. Anyone else looking for a ride from the airport to the ship?

Gail

We're looking at different ways to get from the airport to the ship too (in June). I wish we booked our air (and transfers) through HAL. Making all of these plans on our own is becoming a real pain!

If you know of/ hear of any reliable sources, please pass them along! Thanks in advance!

Can't wait to sail on the Noordam!

Gail

Gail. . .We are on the June 10th sailing as well. . and looking for transport

from the airport to the ship. We get in at 9 and you can't get on the ship until 2, so we are going to try to do some sightseeing on the way to the ship if I can find a car and driver tha doesn't cost a fortune. I've written to a couple of companies via e-mail and waiting to hear. Will let you know if I come up with a good one.

In Sept 2004 we made a Thursday 11:55am flight from a 7:00am docking. Long walking along the entrance hall with slow checkpoints, had to wait for BA check in to open then main security line was huge so we fretted but it all just fitted. Had time for caffein once we safely reached the gate area.

B

Thanks Rockinjo! I'm asking around also. Let's keep this thread going - maybe someone will give us a good recomendation!

Just got an e-mail from HAL - itenary change - no Palma de Mallorca. Now we're going to Malta! I haven't found time to check the excursions yet.

Gail

Thanks everyone for the info. We are doing are own air on Delta and decided to go for it. We want to arrange private transfers from the ship to the airport-if anyone want to share on the June 30th cruise (we arrive july 10). Let me know. It's much cheaper with 4 people in a van, than 2 in a car.

I hope we will make it. We are using frequent flyer tix, so I don't even know what happens if we don't!

Andrea

Archived