? for anyone with a camera

Trvlbugs

:confused: What did you do to protect your camera on excursions from theft or from the elements? (sand, water,,,etx.) I want to bring my good camera, but if im on the beach and want to snorkel is it safe to leave it in my bag on the beach on the motus?

Did you have a seperate camera for water excursions?

Thanks in advance!

:confused: What did you do to protect your camera on excursions from theft or from the elements? (sand, water,,,etx.) I want to bring my good camera, but if im on the beach and want to snorkel is it safe to leave it in my bag on the beach on the motus?

Did you have a seperate camera for water excursions?

Thanks in advance!

Since you mentioned motu, I assume you will be in Tahiti.

I have taken my digital Sony camera in my beach bag to motus and beaches, and never had any problem.

Beaches are not crowded and you will probably be within eyeshot of your stuff. We never were concerned, just packed it in the bottom of our beach bag.

I have a second, smaller, weather resistant Olympus that I take to the beach. It fits nicely in my pocket and a ziploc bag. Digital cameras are so inexpensive now that the "protection" can cost more than then the decent cheap camera you are trying to protect!

We bought a Pentax WP for just this reason. It's a little pocket camera, in the $250 range, that's good up in up to 3' of water. Took wonderful underwater pictures while snorkeling in Tahiti, and never worried about leaving it on the beach - it was strapped to my wrist at all times.

I brought a disposable underwater camera that I used for the waverrunner and underwater helmet excursions. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the pix came out. I was not worried on the motu at all about leaving my camera in my bag by my chair when I went kayaking or for a dip. One couple we met dropped their camera in the water and while they couldn't use it for the rest of the trip, the photographer on board was able to salvage their memory stick. I brought ziplocs for both my camera and iPod in case of rain.

Just saw a short write-up on a new camera that looks good for cruise travel on p. 24 of the current issue of AARP magazine (giving away my age here). It is a Pentax Optio WPI 6 meg digital camera that can be used underwater. Price is said to be $350.

Thanks,

Richard

travlbugs, what kind of camera are we talking about here? One with a $5,000 lens? or the normal pocket variety digital camera? I like to take my "good" camera with me everywhere, but it is not pocket variety because it has a nice zoom that they haven't managed to put into a smaller camera that I can find. Perhaps I am careless, but I never worried about my camera when I was on one of those motus or excursions. Just kept it out of sight in miy beach bag if I wasn't around. Can't do underwater with that. Those throw aways worked great for my son for underwater photography.

An indispensible item for travel (in addition to bug repellants with DEET, already told you about that) I always take several Ziploc bags. They keep the sand out of stuff if on a beach, keep your luggage contents free of ooze from lotions that may expand and open in the cargo hold on the plane. Also make it easy for TSA people to examine contents during security clearance.

Archived