Sapphire beach?

Mim Lloyd

• 1 month later...

Sapphire Beach is piled high with sea grass.  I stopped in several times this week and was there yesterday.  While they do rake it up into piles, it smells awful making beach time there extremely unpleasant.  Same with Lindquist “Secret Sands”. It was good some days and not usable on others. Sapphire was always my go-to, and we have stayed several times in a beach unit there.  It is not the same now and I would not return. 

1 hour ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Sapphire Beach is piled high with sea grass.  I stopped in several times this week and was there yesterday.  While they do rake it up into piles, it smells awful making beach time there extremely unpleasant.  Same with Lindquist “Secret Sands”. It was good some days and not usable on others. Sapphire was always my go-to, and we have stayed several times in a beach unit there.  It is not the same now and I would not return. 

Hopefully its not like that 365 days a year. Unfortunately the ocean seems to go through seasons and storms which stirs everything up and then its pushed onshore. Some of it is a regular seasonal thing and some unpredictable.  

3 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

Hopefully its not like that 365 days a year. Unfortunately the ocean seems to go through seasons and storms which stirs everything up and then its pushed onshore. Some of it is a regular seasonal thing and some unpredictable.  

Actually, it’s supposed to be mainly in the summer months, but we spoke to a few people staying there and they were quite disappointed but making the best of it. The facilities were the same, run down but adequate.  The covered bar was new to me, and quite nice. 

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants

Chauncey I’m surprised to read your post about heavy sargassum. Friends in other areas of the Carib, including the Riviera Maya, have been enjoying sargassum-free beaches and water for months now, which is typical late summer and into the fall months. Not so on STT?

What do you mean by “The facilities were the same, run down but adequate.”? Are you referring to the beach bar area?

And where have you stayed in the SBRM?

2 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

Ive lived in Florida around the space coast for a little over a year. The sargassum last May was unbelievable. It  had mounded up 2-3 ft making it very difficult to get to the ocean and it was washing on shore in masses. I was a little freaked out the first time I saw it. I learned it is seasonal. 

OK so that was your first real exposure to the sargasso situation…It was probably it’s worst in April/May…

We built a home in the Riviera Maya in 2015 and that was the first year of this sargassum “event”. It was so bad in 2015/2016 you could not even sit at the pool at a resort because of the stench. Sheets of sargasso stretched out into the sea for 10’s of meters, everyday. The resort staff raked and trucked tons of the stuff for months at a time…And it lasted throughout the year both years. It has since just been a seasonal event, hitting in the early Spring and in the summer,  So at least be happy you didn’t experience that!

I am confused by Chauncey’s comments, especially the current sargasso conditions he reported…

On 11/22/2021 at 9:04 PM, blue_water said:

Chauncey I’m surprised to read your post about heavy sargassum. Friends in other areas of the Carib, including the Riviera Maya, have been enjoying sargassum-free beaches and water for months now, which is typical late summer and into the fall months. Not so on STT?

What do you mean by “The facilities were the same, run down but adequate.”? Are you referring to the beach bar area?

And where have you stayed in the SBRM?

Stayed in a first floor in the Sapphire Beach front condos, twice. Been there many many times.  Not sure why you’d be confused if you’ve been there.   Yes, the facilities are run down, it’s been an ongoing problem there for years. Pool area is residents-only, and pool bar is and has been closed for years, and falling apart.  The new bar is OK. Bathrooms are dirty and old, overall facilities are run down.  Completely normal for there. 
The beach is the draw, and there is a sargassum problem, yes, still. I have no reason to say so if there wasn’t.  Trying to help day trippers avoid disappointment.

I would not recommend staying or day-tripping at Sapphire Beach right now. It used to be my favorite spot, but having just spent 2 weeks in St Thomas, there are other places much nicer now.

We spent 2 weeks during Christmas and New Years there 5/6 years ago in a friend who was also a resident’s condo.  He has since passed away. He lamented about problems with the HOA and facilities for years.

I also spent a week during a work conference a few years ago. 

22 hours ago, blue_water said:

OK so that was your first real exposure to the sargasso situation…It was probably it’s worst in April/May…

We built a home in the Riviera Maya in 2015 and that was the first year of this sargassum “event”. It was so bad in 2015/2016 you could not even sit at the pool at a resort because of the stench. Sheets of sargasso stretched out into the sea for 10’s of meters, everyday. The resort staff raked and trucked tons of the stuff for months at a time…And it lasted throughout the year both years. It has since just been a seasonal event, hitting in the early Spring and in the summer,  So at least be happy you didn’t experience that!

I am confused by Chauncey’s comments, especially the current sargasso conditions he reported…

Sargassum has been an issue for many years.  We’ve experienced it on the gulf coast for as long as I can remember. Maybe not to the degree you are speaking about, but it’s not new or exclusive to April/May in other areas. 

Will just try to respond here…

Yes we’ve also enjoyed staying at SBRM, we’ve stayed after spending time in the BVI, and we’ve specifically traveled to stay at SBRM.

The pool is for owners/guests only and is beautiful, the pool bar closed years ago and I had been told that was going to be updated. But I kinda like it as is because it’s quieter there…The restaurant also close years ago, the lobby was open with tours and the Budget rental office but they are no more. The beach bar replaced the grill…And the restrooms are a complaint by many, but I’ve seen much worse, especially after a horde of day visitors have used them…I did talk to board members one visit and there are issues, but we all have HOA issues, the members drive that…

But what a slice of paradise for the owners who have updated their units and enjoy their time there…Compared to Bolongo Bay and Secret Harbour especially…

I would always recommend Sapphire to land visitors or day visitors because it is gorgeous and offers everything you need. Nothing else compares to us, although as a day visitor Lindqvist is arguably the nicest beach on the island. It has that “old Caribbean” feel…For land visitors you just need to book through VRBO or directly with an SBRM or Sapphire Village owner. Do not book through the group…

Your current sargassum description definitely confused me after seeing other reports. But that’s fine. This current event erupted in 2015 and is expected to only worsen during years to come…But we are enjoying virtually sargasso-free beaches…So many travel during the hurricane season and complain about the sargassum…

Enjoy gorgeous Sapphire Beach!

Edited by blue_water

Chauncey your posts about Sapphire just don’t jive with info I’m getting from others there right now, I was trying to be nice about that, but there it is…There is a discrepancy but I am not calling you a liar…Possibly these folks did not feel it was as big a deal, I don’t know…

And I am not rambling, nor do I have any financial or other interest in anything STT. But we do love it there and if we disagree with your viewpoint I’m sorry?

End of this weird discussion for sure…All that potential day visitors need to know is Sapphire is beautiful as ever. In our humble opinion no other beach that offers these island views and snorkeling compares for a nice day, or for a longer return visit…I understand if you feel there are nicer choices, certainly there are other choices…

Chauncey after all the back and forth I owe you a bit of an apology…Another guest reported today there is some “seaweed” in the water. Not the raked piles or terrible smell you reported, but some floating in. So we just have differing opinions of the property it sounds like…
Take care!

On 11/24/2021 at 8:28 AM, Chauncey Picklepants said:

I would not recommend staying or day-tripping at Sapphire Beach right now. It used to be my favorite spot, but having just spent 2 weeks in St Thomas, there are other places much nicer now.

We spent 2 weeks during Christmas and New Years there 5/6 years ago in a friend who was also a resident’s condo.  He has since passed away. He lamented about problems with the HOA and facilities for years.

I also spent a week during a work conference a few years ago. 

Hi there, I will be on a cruisevsailing there in 2 weeks. What are some of the places that nicer ? Thanks so much!

12 hours ago, blueslily said:

Hi there, I will be on a cruisevsailing there in 2 weeks. What are some of the places that nicer ? Thanks so much!

We really enjoyed Magens Bay. It’s a gorgeous very large beach.  I know people claim it gets crowded, but we were there for two weeks and never found it to be a problem at all.  Sapphire was hit or miss with smelly sargassum piles, and since it’s on the smaller side, it can get fairly crowded. 

1B9568C2-1344-4E8A-A4DB-55EBC532E533.jpegIf you’re wanting a really quiet beach, Brewers is gorgeous.  W went there three or four days.  There are an abundance of sea turtles and some great snorkeling. And you can watch planes take off and land.  There’s also bathrooms, but no chair rentals. We always bring backpack folding chairs when we cruise.  We buy them in port, usually at a Walgreens. Then we give them away when the cruise is over. Then you can pretty much go to any beach comfortably.

D4779147-2B19-4E87-B212-45C48D87AD1D.jpeg

3006CB15-2803-433D-A217-B89A2CB17BF3.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

We really enjoyed Magens Bay. It’s a gorgeous very large beach.  I know people claim it gets crowded, but we were there for two weeks and never found it to be a problem at all.  Sapphire was hit or miss with smelly sargassum piles, and since it’s on the smaller side, it can get fairly crowded. 

1B9568C2-1344-4E8A-A4DB-55EBC532E533.jpeg

Thanks for your quick response and including a great photo. Very helpful!

On 11/28/2021 at 11:09 AM, blueslily said:

STT has several very nice beaches and a few that are absolutely gorgeous.

Sapphire is one of the latter, with beautiful water colors, nice island views, and enough space to find a shady spot to enjoy the view. Always the first choice of many repeat visitors…

Lindqvist is arguably the nicest beach of them all and still has that “Old Caribbean” feel.

Magens is beautiful from Drake’s Seat and Mountain Top, but just lacks the “character” some other beaches have IMHO…

What are you looking for in a beach? Crowded with all amenities? No other cruisers? Or something in between?

On 12/1/2021 at 9:48 AM, blue_water said:

STT has several very nice beaches and a few that are absolutely gorgeous.

Sapphire is one of the latter, with beautiful water colors, nice island views, and enough space to find a shady spot to enjoy the view. Always the first choice of many repeat visitors…

Lindqvist is arguably the nicest beach of them all and still has that “Old Caribbean” feel.

Magens is beautiful from Drake’s Seat and Mountain Top, but just lacks the “character” some other beaches have IMHO…

What are you looking for in a beach? Crowded with all amenities? No other cruisers? Or something in between?

Thanks for the info. I will be a female solo traveler. I want a beach with amenities and easy access to what i need like chair rental, but not overrun with tourists/fellow cruisers. 

15 hours ago, blueslily said:

Thanks for the info. I will be a female solo traveler. I want a beach with amenities and easy access to what i need like chair rental, but not overrun with tourists/fellow cruisers. 

Yes that is the ideal beach that everyone wants so the last requirement is the hard part, especially on those huge port days with 20,000 fellow day visitors, many looking for that same beach…
But certainly one beach can be a much better choice on a busy day, and since you aren’t interested in snorkeling or the nicest beach restaurant you have more options too…

What is your date and ship?

Well anyway using the VINow dot com cruise ship schedule you can see how many other ships are in port that day as well as where you dock.

There is really no bad beach choice with amenities, Lindbergh, Honeymoon on Water Island, Magens, Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbour all have the amenities you want. If docked at Crown Bay Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach for the Emerald Resort) is very close and offersa nice restaurant, nice restrooms, and a beach bar. Lindbergh is a nice beach. If you want one of the nicest then consider Magens, Sapphire, Coki, or Secret Harbor. I wouldn’t suggest Honeymoon simply because it gets so crowded today.

The time of day you arrive and how many ships are in that day are the biggest considerations…For example if you arrive at noon and other ships are already there then the Secret Harbor Resort may not be an option because they have limited lounges for day visitors…But you can reserve lounges and umbrellas in advance, thereby reserving a spot there…Also, I would probably avoid beautiful Coki beach just because it is such a small beach and gets very crowded on normal days…And the same for Magens because you want service…

If there are fewer ships in port then you have choices! Others can share their favorites, but this thread has long legs, you may want to start a new one!

Edited by blue_water

3 hours ago, blue_water said:

Well anyway using the VINow dot com cruise ship schedule you can see how many other ships are in port that day as well as where you dock.

There is really no bad beach choice with amenities, Lindbergh, Honeymoon on Water Island, Magens, Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbour all have the amenities you want. If docked at Crown Bay Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach for the Emerald Resort) is very close and offersa nice restaurant, nice restrooms, and a beach bar. Lindbergh is a nice beach. If you want one of the nicest then consider Magens, Sapphire, Coki, or Secret Harbor. I wouldn’t suggest Honeymoon simply because it gets so crowded today.

The time of day you arrive and how many ships are in that day are the biggest considerations…For example if you arrive at noon and other ships are already there then the Secret Harbor Resort may not be an option because they have limited lounges for day visitors…But you can reserve lounges and umbrellas in advance, thereby reserving a spot there…Also, I would probably avoid beautiful Coki beach just because it is such a small beach and gets very crowded on normal days…And the same for Magens because you want service…

If there are fewer ships in port then you have choices! Others can share their favorites, but this thread has long legs, you may want to start a new one!

I will be on the Symphony of the Seas. I think we are there the 14 or 15. Sorry, not able to see that info right now. Thanks so much gor sharing this information. We have a morning arrival. 

9 hours ago, blueslily said:

I will be on the Symphony of the Seas. I think we are there the 14 or 15. Sorry, not able to see that info right now. Thanks so much gor sharing this information. We have a morning arrival. 

Yes you are the first of 5 ships (20k pax total), you are scheduled to dock at Crown Bay at 7AM with the Edge which arrives at 8AM. The other 3 ships are scheduled to dock at Havensight (WICO) at 10 or after. So you will be the first to head to the beaches (along with many of your 5,500 fellow passengers). 

So whatever beach you choose it will get crowded early and only get worse. I would look at the Emerald Resort in Lindbergh Bay for its close proximity and nicer facilities, or at Sapphire with a beach bar and no beach restaurant, but the nicer beach and water. 5 min/$4 taxi to Lindbergh Bay, 30 min/$11 taxi to Sapphire and the other east end beaches. Lindbergh will be a popular beach for those docking at Crown because it is so close AND has all the amenities. Honeymoon on Water Island will also be crazy crowded…

A map showing the two ports and the beach locations…
https://virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/st-thomas-land-activities/st-thomas-island-road-map/

Edited by blue_water

I had better add that I am partial to Sapphire, we often stay there after spending time in the BVI. We do visit quieter beaches like Hull Bay and Elysian on the very big ship days but no lounges, you bring your own towels and lunch…

Thank you Blue Water for all the info. Last time I was there (Feb 2020) we went to Sapphire Beach and enjoyed the snorkeling The bar and bathroom area were fine. Nothing special but very useable. I dislike sargasso smell and swimming in it. Do you have any friends in the area currently? Our cruise will be there 1/11/22 I always thought sargasso was a spring/early summer problem.

I am hoping more people will comment here if they are back from being there recently and have an opinion on how pervasive it is. It is a fairly large beach so if they rake it and move it off to one side of the beach it won't bother me. We were in Playa del Carmen in May and it was very bad. Made swimming in the water no fun as you we constantly pulling sargasso off yourself.  

thanks for any info all