Booking a cruise that isn't full vs one that already looks full?

On 5/14/2021 at 1:10 PM, BecciBoo said:

Our favorite cruise month is September, most of our 25 cruises have been in Sept. 2 of them in Alaska on the last cruise of the season, but most in Carib and we have had no deviations at all due to weather.  Allure is my favorite of all the Oasis class, Symphany was also excellent.  I love the meandering creek in Solarium, there are actually bird hitchhikers in the bushes, check it out.  We are with Silky Sal on Allure Sept. 12 as well.  Can't wait!🤞

DSCN0959.JPG

I've heard about the bird hitchhikers, too.  The solarium and Central Park sound/look so nice, that's why I want to do the Allure.  There is a similiar itinerary on the Symphony, but it's out of Miami and for this cruise- Port Canaveral is better.  Enjoy your upcoming September cruise.  

Thank you all for the comments!  I still don't like the idea of booking a cruise where the only option left is balcony gty. i.e. full.  But to go in October, on the Allure, to Labadee and combine it with a Fall trip to DW when it's not super hot, I guess we'll have to book this one! 🙂  Unless, I change my mind and we just do the NYE Anthem cruise.  

I just looked again at transatlantics for this fall and would love to do one of those, or a Canary Island cruise, but don't know if it will be a pain traveling to England this year when other countries might still have restrictions.

BTW, I was never worried about traveling during hurricane season.  Bigger waves don't bother me (unless I'm floating around in them.)  I just didn't want to spend time in Orlando and DW when it's hotter/muggier and more buggy.

Edited by smilesntravels
added a word

On 5/13/2021 at 6:34 PM, firefly333 said:

The theater was built for the acrobatic show. So they can come down from the ceiling. I loved the dive show, but the bleacher type seat not so much. They had others but you had to fight to get the more comfortable seats. I was solo. 

Comedy was in a smaller room and was the only show hard to get into. I did oasis twice. 

Oh yeah, those bleacher seats aren't too comfy.  I guess for one show, it won't be too bad.  

Do you always travel solo?  I read a while back someone saying the Oasis class would be hard for solo travelers due to the huge amount of passengers, groups and families.  I'm too chicken to ever think of going on a solo cruise 🙂 .

On 5/14/2021 at 12:54 PM, SilkySal said:

We'll (hopefully) be on Allure on September 12 for a week and again on November 8 for 6 nights. We really love the Allure! DH's favorite thing is the free breakfast at Johnny Rockets, so hope they'll still be doing that! We like MTD but always pre-book our preferred dining times to avoid a long wait; you can cancel your time while on board if you decide to dine somewhere else. Pre-book your shows if you can and anything else requiring a reservation. If you're visiting Labadee, think about pre-booking a cabana (pricey) or a beach bungalow (more reasonable). If there are only 2 of you, maybe you could share it with friends; maximum of 6 people per bungalow. It's just nice to have a place to put all of your stuff while enjoying the beach and having a personal bungalow attendant to keep your water cooler full and bring your bar orders is a great plus (I'm lazy)! Whatever you decide, hope you have a great time on the Allure! She's a beauty! Cheers!

Thanks SilkySal!  I hope you get to do both of your Allure cruises.  I've read up about all the eating choices, and we'll definitely try Johnny Rockets either for breakfast or the extra charge lunch/dinner one time.  If we do go on this though, I'd like to try the Central Park restaurant and/or the Wonderland.  Those both sound great!

I never really think about getting cabanas, because I don't need to sit in a box on an island, lol.  But I suppose they are good where you can leave your things while you swim, walk around, etc.  We'll want to do some exploring there and/or an excursion or two.  I know I definitely want to walk around there, and maybe do the zip line or jet ski's.  So many things to do!  Happy Cruising 🙂 .

Edited by smilesntravels
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 11:37 AM, Cigar King said:

Yes.  We got off the Brilliance on March 16th, and she hasn't sailed since...well at least not as a cruise vacation.

It was nice to have everything open and not crowded, especially since there was a full staff.  There was not cruise spirit though.  Nobody knew what to expect and it just hung over the ship like a cloud.  

I can sort of imagine.  I'm sure lots of cruises were like that in Mid March last year.  I guess the one good thing was the lack of crowds!  Happy future sailing 🙂 

52 minutes ago, smilesntravels said:

I don't quite understand, but thank you!

The Royal Caribbean UK website usually shows the most availability of cabins - more so than the US (or Australian sites). You mentioned you were looking at an external non Royal Caribbean site which may not show all available cabins. 

On 5/15/2021 at 7:51 PM, Missusdubbya said:

The Royal Caribbean UK website usually shows the most availability of cabins - more so than the US (or Australian sites). You mentioned you were looking at an external non Royal Caribbean site which may not show all available cabins. 

Okay, thanks.  I'm forgetting and I probably saw it before, but besides transatlantic I don't know what TA stands for.  I didn't know I could check for availability on either of RC's sites- US, UK, etc! 🙂 I book through an agency that many probably know, but of course you can't say the name here.  It's one where you can see all the cabins available, or not.  Another one, doesn't show any cabin availability.  Anyway, happy cruising.

Nobody else mentioned it, but October is further away from the "hopeful" re-start of cruising so in my mind a safer bet that it will indeed sail.  

I grew up in so Cal and visited Disneyland often.  Magic Kingdom will seem very familiar...but larger.  The other parks are a cool addition, and Epcot was always our favorite.  Tho Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are spectacular too.  Enjoy.