Language barrier

Puppies x 2

:confused: We are cruising through Funchal, Casablanca, Malaga, Palma, Sete, Barcelona and Monte Carlo on RSSC in May. We wish to avoid using the standard ships tour services and plan to use ourselves {public transit, taxis} to venture about. Casablanca and possibly Barcelona will most likely be through the ships tours so I don't think languge should be a problem there. But what about the other places? Will we be able to do this since ENGLISH is our only language? We have managed to get translations for please, thank-you and wich way to the pier? but that's about it.:o Does anyone know if this is enough for us to get about on our own? Our ship leaves Florida the end of April so there is not much time for being fluent in any language. Is there hope for us ? Any help will be great. Only 73 more sleeps on land left till we cruise. Thanks for any and all replies.:D

In Barcelona, most people we encountered in museums, churches, restaurants and hotels spoke English.

In Palma, that was true in the old city where many of the sights are, but not as true in the outlying areas of the city.

In Casablanca, there were lots of cabs waiting when we got off the ship. We negotiated with a guy who spoke English, but it turned out that he was just the arranger, and our driver didn't speak more than a few words of English. We managed with my (pretty rudimentary) French.

You do not need to do a ship's tour in Barcelona if you plan to stay in the city. They have a great on-off buses that stop at most of the major sites and provide English speaking overviews of what you are seeing..

Thanks Dale, it's the other half that picked the ship tour for Barcelona, but, maybe your comments will change our excursions for this port. We have not made the final commitments as of yet. I had forgot to ask another question of you or anyone else, so here goes. Just how fancy of a cruise line is RSSC ? I have read 6 star cruise line but just don't know how out of place we will be? This cruise was a gift for us, and normally lead a rather plain and simple life. We are looking forward to meeting people from other places and different walks of life but will they be interested in socializing with us or will we be forced to walk the plank??????:eek: :eek: :eek:

Just got off the phone with kwikpoint......AWESOME.......thanks

Great! I'm probaly getting one for our cruise to Spain.

My DH (who speaks fluent Portuguese) told me he could get by in Spanish. Now I find out he can't. :eek: Plus it's Catalan Spanish, so even my high school classes might not help me.

Great! I'm probaly getting one for our cruise to Spain.

My DH (who speaks fluent Portuguese) told me he could get by in Spanish. Now I find out he can't. :eek: Plus it's Catalan Spanish, so even my high school classes might not help me.

That is definitely true! I was in Barcelona many years ago, with three years of high school Spanish and two of college Spanish under my belt.....but Catalan is waaaaayyyy different than the Castillian dialect typically taught in the US. Mostly the locals got the giggles whenever I tried to communicate in Spanish.....so I finally relented and let them enjoy practicing their English....which many, many of them spoke excellently, btw.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Archived