UK cruisers in the Med this summer?

dritan

Hi

Amidst the excitement of the Virtuosa sailing last week, I realised I'd not checked to see if the wording on the MSC website about who can travel in the Med has changed.

As of this morning it still says for the Med cruises:

Cruises until the end of June 2021 are only available to  guests who are residents in Schengen countries (Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Greece, Spain, France, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden and Switzerland) and in Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania.

Has there been any indication from MSC on when this is likely to get updated( I know there have bee a lot of interviews etc), as I'm aware that the EU in general announced last week that they were opening to non EU countries like the UK?

Our final payment date for the Seaside is coming up towards the end of June and I'm not going to do a final payment unless this info changes.  ( Italy is now doing well with their vaccine rates and cases, so suspect they will easily  move onto the green list for UK travellers by the end of June).

In his video Antonio implied that after 21st June, UK residents would be allowed back on Med cruises. I'm sure I saw it alluded to in a press release too but can't immediately find it. 

Basically, they're waiting for the final step in the roadmap and for the Foreign Office advice to change. If that happens as planned, UK visitors should be fine from end of June onwards. 

4 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

In his video Antonio implied that after 21st June, UK residents would be allowed back on Med cruises. I'm sure I saw it alluded to in a press release too but can't immediately find it. 

Basically, they're waiting for the final step in the roadmap and for the Foreign Office advice to change. If that happens as planned, UK visitors should be fine from end of June onwards. 

Thanks - I thought there might have been something recently.  From the look of things, Italy won't be on the next green list ( expected to be announced late next week) but should be on the one announced for June 27th.  Although that's a few days after my final payment, I'll keep checking on how Italy's cases and vaccination rates are going before making that final call ( and of course, assuming that the Indian variant here in the UK stays manageable).

A lot will depend on the Traffic light system which if nothing changes will prevent those from the UK sailing in the Med, If most of Europe remains on the Government Amber list and people travel against the advice it is likely that any Insurance will not cover those that take a chance and go.

The Ten days quarantine on return to the UK would also put people off because they would be unlikely to take that time of work, we now also have the UK Government saying that anyone in the current hot spots who have had both jabs but come into contact with a person with the virus will have to isolate for Ten days!

We can only hope that the June 21st date brings good news for the UK, there will also be an announcement on the 15th of June from the Government.

1 hour ago, sidari said:

A lot will depend on the Traffic light system which if nothing changes will prevent those from the UK sailing in the Med, If most of Europe remains on the Government Amber list and people travel against the advice it is likely that any Insurance will not cover those that take a chance and go.

I had an email from my insurer saying I was covered even for amber destinations. Really unusual, and a sign of the Government losing control of the messaging. It's not often an insurer says they'll cover you beyond the basics - usually they're looking for ways to limit risk!

It feels a bit like we're going backwards with the local lockdowns and Germany/Austia banning UK visitors. Although Greece and Spain are going the other way... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidari said:

If most of Europe remains on the Government Amber list and people travel against the advice it is likely that any Insurance will not cover those that take a chance and go.

It's a weird one. If FCDO advises against all travel - definitely not insured.

But the RAG list is not a travel ban - it's a set of requirements for when you return to the UK. So the FCDO don't outright advise against travel to Amber and Red countries - they say "advise against all but essential travel". And my insurer offers a policy extension to cover this scenario - and even says you are covered for holidays (which obviously definitely is essential travel, just surprised the insurance company agrees with me 😀)

Just gets more and more complicated!

• Like 1