Hotels in Athens Greece with Viking Cruise

Arizona340

58 minutes ago, Arizona340 said:

We are doing a pre in Athens before the Empires of the Mediterranean.  If you have done a cruise from Athens what hotel did Viking book you into?  

We did Empires of the Med in 2019 .. stayed at Hilton for post cruise. We did the 4 day Classic Greece - it was fantastic. 

The roof top bar at the Hilton has great views, but is a little bit pricey. We joined the Hilton loyalty club while we were there (Hilton Honors) and they gave us a free drink at the bar for joining.

There are a couple of really good places to eat near the Hilton. I'll look up my cruise notes and will post info later if I can find the names.

21 hours ago, Little Monty said:

We did Empires of the Med in 2019 .. stayed at Hilton for post cruise. We did the 4 day Classic Greece - it was fantastic. 

There are a couple of really good places to eat near the Hilton. I'll look up my cruise notes and will post info later if I can find the names.

PLEASE L-Monty - would appreciate those good dining leads near Hilton.

We're doing post-cruise 4-nt extension in Dec.  Hilton currently has major renovations underway and their site mentions some usual amenities/services not currently available.  Hoping completed by Dec.

Good Luck

13 minutes ago, greydog said:

PLEASE L-Monty - would appreciate those good dining leads near Hilton.

Both are a short walk from the Hilton.

The first is 'Pita Pan' (Google maps shows the street as Iofontos). They have indoor and outdoor dining. We loved the food, and recent Tripadvisor reviews suggest the standards are still very good. It is probably best described as casual dining.

The other is across the park in front of Pita Pan - named 'Vassilenas'.  We enjoyed this one as well and again recent reviews are good. The food / service / decor is more refined than Pita Pan, and this is reflected in the prices. 

Enjoy.

6 hours ago, JerryInIL said:

Is this in the Plaka District?

No .. it is a short drive or a 30 minute walk from the hotel. It's a nice walk .. through gardens and parkland. There are several routes you could take, with lots to look at along the way.

From our experience it is better to stay outside of the Plaka District - it does get very busy (or at least it did pre-COVID).

1 hour ago, Canberra601 said:

We always stay at the Electra Palace - a great location in the Plaka District, and near many of the sites that Athens has to offer.  We then catch a taxi to the port...

I second the Electra Palace. We stayed there in May 2019. So convenient to Plaka streets and Acropolis/Agora, etc.

Several years ago we stayed at the Athens Gate. Great roof top bar with a view of the Acropolis, close to the museum and walking distance to the Plaka. Very reasonable. We shared a cab to the port with another couple we met on CC. 

We've been to Athens many times, as we have family living there.  We prefer staying within walking distance to the Acropolis, National Gardens and other historic sites.  Lots of good restaurants in this area too.  However, be careful when booking hotels next to the main highway Andrea Siggrou, including Athens Gate, as some of the rooms facing the the road can be noisy (request a room facing the Acropolis).  We've stayed at the Herodion Hotel, which is steps from the Acropolis museum, in a quiet location and has a rooftop restaurant and bar with fantastic views of the Acropolis. The Herodion has a modern, "zen" feel to it which we really liked but some of the rooms are on the small side.  We've also stayed at the Hilton which, although pricey (especially food and drink prices), we enjoyed.  It's a bit of a trek to the main historic sites and there are not as many restaurant options within walking distance, but you can easily hop on the metro across the street.  Before booking the Hilton, however, check their website as their pool may be closed this year due to renovations. 

On 6/16/2021 at 5:12 AM, LindaS272 said:

I second the Electra Palace. We stayed there in May 2019. So convenient to Plaka streets and Acropolis/Agora, etc.

I third the Electra Palace. We stayed there in October 2017. Convenient location. We had a good experience. 

• 3 months later...

We are doing pre-Athens in October and just received word from Viking that the pre-stay hotel was being changed from the Hilton to the Athenaeum Intercontinental.  We are on Mediterranean Antiquities October 24th from Athens to Barcelona. I haven’t been able to find the roll call for it yet in case any of you smart CruiseCritic experts can help me out. 

6 hours ago, Gibsontravels said:

We are on Mediterranean Antiquities October 24th from Athens to Barcelona. I haven’t been able to find the roll call for it yet in case any of you smart CruiseCritic experts can help me out. 

This seems to be your roll call:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2798517-october-24-2021-journey-to-antiquities-tour-recommendations/

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gibsontravels said:

We are doing pre-Athens in October and just received word from Viking that the pre-stay hotel was being changed from the Hilton to the Athenaeum Intercontinental.  We are on Mediterranean Antiquities October 24th from Athens to Barcelona. I haven’t been able to find the roll call for it yet in case any of you smart CruiseCritic experts can help me out. 

Interesting. I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the Athenaeum. We’re doing the post-Athens this winter.