Insurance for HAL Rotterdam September 19, 2021 Sailing

MrsS471

Good Evening,

With so many travel insurance choices, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?  Since this cruise is 21 nights for us, I know the insurance will be expensive.  Just would like to find a reasonably priced, reputable carrier.  Thanks!

MrsS471,

Have you seen this Thread? 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2784640-sailings-being-paused/

I go to insuremytrip dot com, Nationwide has several cruise-specific policies that I have been pleased with. (Note: I haven’t booked during the pandemic, so my experience is “B.C.”).

Good luck!

Edited by syesmar

58 minutes ago, syesmar said:

MrsS471,

Have you seen this Thread? 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2784640-sailings-being-paused/

I go to insuremytrip dot com, Nationwide has several cruise-specific policies that I have been pleased with. (Note: I haven’t booked during the pandemic, so my experience is “B.C.”).

Good luck!

I purchased insurance through insuremytrip prior to the string of cancelations we have received. Originally the insurance was to cover an 18 day Circle Hawaii sailing out of San Diego with a stop in Mexico. We have had to change the dates and locations a few times, but eventually were able to transfer the insurance to our September Alaska trip from Seattle. 

We were not able to get a refund because we did not choose to get a full refund from HAL and took FCC. I don't think I will use insuremytrip again. Changing dates was a pain. Refusing to give us a refund on a trip that we were not able to take feels like robbery. 

9 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I use the insurance that comes with my Chase Sapphire credit card coupled with an annual medical trip policy.     However there is a forum for just such information that I have found very helpful

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Plus Med Jet.

4 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I purchased insurance through insuremytrip prior to the string of cancelations we have received. Originally the insurance was to cover an 18 day Circle Hawaii sailing out of San Diego with a stop in Mexico. We have had to change the dates and locations a few times, but eventually were able to transfer the insurance to our September Alaska trip from Seattle. 

We were not able to get a refund because we did not choose to get a full refund from HAL and took FCC. I don't think I will use insuremytrip again. Changing dates was a pain. Refusing to give us a refund on a trip that we were not able to take feels like robbery. 

I've never had to do a transfer, I'm sure it was a headache, given the last year. Do you recall which company via insuremytrip it was that refused to give a refund? Was it because HAL offered one?  

I recall one trip, we had a long delay and flight cancellations, and it was a bit of a nightmare to get new flights home. We ended up flying in to a city 4 hours away. The insurance said they would have covered a taxi ride from the new airport to my home, but not a rental car:>) I would've never discerned that from the fine print without an explanation from them. It all ended up working out with the airline, but I recall how confusing some of the policies are, and remembering how there's no way to think of every possible "what if" in advance.

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar

7 hours ago, syesmar said:

I've never had to do a transfer, I'm sure it was a headache, given the last year. Do you recall which company via insuremytrip it was that refused to give a refund? Was it because HAL offered one?  

The company was TravelSafe Insurance. I am sure they have been slammed with cancellations during this whole nightmare and my little concerns are nothing compared to what their industry has had to endure the past 16 months.

I was told that if I had taken a full refund from HAL, rather than FCC, they "might" have been able to give me a refund. They did eventually change the dates (three times) and the destinations. I know that I would have been able to purchase insurance for our upcoming Alaska cruise for much less money than what I paid for the policy, but at least I am able to salvage something out of it for coverage.

This is my experience with getting the insurance refund.

508 posts

February 6, 2005

Originally Posted May 23

In January, I  purchased a medical insurance travel policy for our planned cruise trip from Amsterdam, leaving July 18, 2021.  Like most similar cruises, this cruise was  canceled.  So on Saturday, May 22, I emailed the agent, Insuremytrip.com, with a request for a refund or credit toward a future trip, since we wouldn't be traveling.  Imagine my surprise when, a few hours later I reviewed a reply reading,  "A refund has been  posted to your credit card and should appear on your next billing statement."  I also received an email from the insurance company, Seven Corners, confirming the above.   As I said, this was a Saturday!   All praise to Insuremytrip.com Customer Service, and Seven Corners insurance for such wonderful treatment.