What will happen to MSC UK Staycation Cruises if the next Stage of lockdown on 21 June gets delayed

Wiggster

I have an MSC Cruise booked on the 3rd July, which will be one of the higher passenger capacity cruises. It was my understanding that these cruises could only go ahead if the lockdown schedule proceeds as planned. 

I have contacted my Cruise Agent - Cruise Nation last month about this asking and they advised me not to worry about it.

I am wondering if capacity had to be limited to 1,000 passengers if it would be done on a first come first served basis, i.e. those booking up to the 1,000 passenger limit.

3 hours ago, Wiggster said:

I am wondering if capacity had to be limited to 1,000 passengers if it would be done on a first come first served basis, i.e. those booking up to the 1,000 passenger limit.

I’m on that sailing too and I’ve also been wondering the exact same thing. We booked almost as soon as these UK cruises went on sale so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we’ll be ok. I’d have thought though that MSC would have restricted capacity to 1,000 until they knew exactly if the lockdown roadmap was going ahead as planned. 

35 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

I’m on that sailing too and I’ve also been wondering the exact same thing. We booked almost as soon as these UK cruises went on sale so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we’ll be ok. I’d have thought though that MSC would have restricted capacity to 1,000 until they knew exactly if the lockdown roadmap was going ahead as planned. 

That's what I'm thinking too. You would hope that they are restricting numbers till they have a definite go ahead from the government. 

I booked ours within a week of these cruises being release and I have already got my tickets etc. I wonder what they will do if they are still banned from Greenock on our sailing.

40 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

I wonder what they will do if they are still banned from Greenock on our sailing.

Not sure but we weren’t intending getting off anyway. I’m hoping the weather’s going to be good so I can just laze around on deck with a cocktail in my hand 🍹😄

• Like 1

We booked direct via the telephone for Liverpool 6th of July.

At the time the agent said that they were only selling 1000. How true this is and if it changed afterwards I don't know

I always thought that on the 21st if there was a further release they would open up the capacity for sale.

I cannot see that they would be allowed to reduce distancing and increase capacity on a ship when it was not allowed on land.

I cannot see it being cancelled as they have contracts in place with staff so some money is better than none

2 minutes ago, boxman52 said:

I always thought that on the 21st if there was a further release they would open up the capacity for sale.

I cannot see that they would be allowed to reduce distancing and increase capacity on a ship when it was not allowed on land.

I cannot see it being cancelled as they have contracts in place with staff so some money is better than none

My thoughts exactly 

I've just asked the question onboard to the YC concierge. Basically they don't know until Boris makes the announcement, as she said things can change overnight as they did the other day. The plan was to gradually increase capacity up to 50% from 21st June but now they may not be able to. She said the reservations office is monitoring the situation and a decision will be made when the government make an announcement. She doesn't know how many are already booked on the upcoming cruises.

Considering we are only around 700 passengers onboard now the numbers may not be that high.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kernow said:

I've just asked the question onboard to the YC concierge. Basically they don't know until Boris makes the announcement, as she said things can change overnight as they did the other day. The plan was to gradually increase capacity up to 50% from 21st June but now they may not be able to. She said the reservations office is monitoring the situation and a decision will be made when the government make an announcement. She doesn't know how many are already booked on the upcoming cruises.

Considering we are only around 700 passengers onboard now the numbers may not be that high.

Personally I can't wait to get on board and I don't mind if there is 700 of us or 2000 i just want to be on a cruise ship again. We aren't planning to get off but to just enjoy the ship drink and be merry 😃. We are now in the process of isolation at home to make sure we are covid free before we drive down on the 2nd July. We are both double jabbed. That may sound extreme but with the current figures on an upward trend I am not risking anything. We've waited a long time like everyone else and now getting very very excited indeed! 23days to go!  😃

Thank you Kernow for all the info you've posted 😊

Edited by Cruiseforever11

2 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Personally I can't wait to get on board and I don't mind if there is 700 hundred of us or 2000 i just want to be on a cruise ship again. We aren't planning to get off but to just enjoy the ship drink and be merry 😃. We are now in the process of isolation at home to make sure we are covid free before we drive down on the 2nd July. We are both double jabbed. That may sound extreme but with the current figures on an upward trend I am not risking anything. We've waited a long time like everyone else and now getting very very excited indeed! 23days to go!  😃

Thank you Kernow for all the info you've posted 😊

We also tried to stay home as much as possible for the couple of weeks before our cruise as we were worried we'd get caught out somewhere by track and trace.

1 minute ago, kernow said:

We also tried to stay home as much as possible for the couple of weeks before our cruise as we were worried we'd get caught out somewhere by track and trace.

Yes I just don't want to get caught out. I order those test things from the government website which arrived yesterday. 7 in a pack so hubby and I will test weekly then the Friday a.m before we take the long drive down to Southampton. We have the 11am slot to check in also. 

Well: How I understand your worries... But hey!... On Italy MSC has an agreement with the Italian government for a 60% capacity limit. As far as I understand from all the sources from where I can grab information on the internet, they're very far away from those numbers!... I believe something in between 35-45% to be the average at best, so... Don't worry so much and have a nice sailing!...

1 hour ago, kernow said:

That is exactly what I thought they would do, an initial release of 1000 rooms followed by further release if possible after 21st. I was also anticipating some low last minute prices after 21st as I doubt they would fill her up.

The way it's looking now, they will probably have to stick with the 1000 and no sales.

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

That is exactly what I thought they would do, an initial release of 1000 rooms followed by further release if possible after 21st. I was also anticipating some low last minute prices after 21st as I doubt they would fill her up.

The way it's looking now, they will probably have to stick with the 1000 and no sales.

3rd July sailing now showing as fully booked on MSC website. There were lots of cabins available yesterday so my guess is they have now closed the bookings pending a government announcement regarding the 21st June roadmap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaroleC said:

3rd July sailing now showing as fully booked on MSC website. There were lots of cabins available yesterday so my guess is they have now closed the bookings pending a government announcement regarding the 21st June roadmap.

Thanks that's worth knowing, I think everyone is expecting a delay on 21st.

80% would have taken the ship close to 5000, I was thinking we would see massive price drops in the final week, for once in my life I might have made the right choice!

6 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Thanks that's worth knowing, I think everyone is expecting a delay on 21st.

80% would have taken the ship close to 5000, I was thinking we would see massive price drops in the final week, for once in my life I might have made the right choice!

Kernow posted on this thread earlier that the YC concierge had said the original plan was to gradually increase capacity up to 50% from 21st June. So if that’s correct and the roadmap is not delayed (although I think it will be), that would mean there will be nowhere near the amount of pax on board that I originally thought there could be. So pleased as I loved the reduced capacity on the 24th May sailing. No problem getting a lounger by the pool or a seat in any of the venues in the evening. Just perfect , can’t wait for the 3rd July 🤩

Hi all, thanks for the reassurance as it now looks almost certain that the final stage of lockdown will continue for another 4 weeks.

I did not realise that MSC were playing safe and had limited sales to a 1,000 passengers. (Good call).

Now where is my free balcony upgrade 😁

Yes, looks likely we will have a spacious cruise after all! 
MSC did the right thing if they waited to see outcome of next phase of lifting of restrictions before bookings taken. The Government ‘roadmap’ was ‘subject to review’ and ‘no earlier than June 21st’ so they were right to be cautious.

yes, Wiggster-the upgrades roll……….!!! 😂

34 minutes ago, Outofofficeon said:

I’m on this cruise with my husband and also next door cabin daughter and her husband . We have ocean view cabins , do you think they will give us balcony cabin for free upgrades ? 

That is something only Mystic Meg can help with.
Seriously though we have everting crossed and certainly there is a higher chance if pax are reduced by the government announcement which appears certain.

A few people have got upgrades so we all live in hope!

Be prepared though MSC have a habit of doing crazy things with cabins, you could end up with one upgraded or two (or none) and even end up split up over the ship.

When they restarted the upgrade program and invited upgrade bids I thought it would be the end of free upgrades but they do appear to still be doing some free ones. 

You should have had emails offering bidding for upgrades (unless you booked via a TA that does not participate).

We are personally not bidding and just keeping our fingers crossed the upgrade fairy pays a visit, otherwise we will be happy with what we have.

We were lucky enough to get an inside to balcony upgrade on our last MSC cruise in Dec 2019 but that was before the bidding program started in the UK.