Anyone book with the BOGO air fare?

Derbie

2 minutes ago, saltsandknit said:

This is totally dependent on your departure airport YMMV.

You are right.  I'm spoiled for being on the east coast of US.  Flying from west to east usually means red-eye flights.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 4:46 PM, CaptainWoody said:

I've purchased airfare through NCL once, and that was one time too many.  IIRC, we had no choice in when or how we got there.  They scheduled us for a ridiculous plane switch at LAX that almost didn't make it (this was one of those running through the terminals situations) and the flight back from Hawaii left at something like 7:00 at night.  The sun was up before we got home the next morning.

I'm with you on that! Once was one time too many. This was several years back, and it was a circle island cruise in Hawaii. Was a package deal - cruise and airfare - with no choice of flights. Flight out was fine. Flight back was a red eye that got into LAX at 4 AM for a two or three hour layover. It was so early that we couldn't even get a cup of coffee. Not complaining really, since it was a great price and we had a great time except for the flight back. 

We always get a hotel a day early and call for a flight deviation. NCLs flights can be pretty ridiculous. Usually if they give us a late flight for departure, we will choose to do the excursion to the airport. Since we're platinum, we can get on the ship right away, ncl may have you arrive early or somewhere between lunch.

When we used the flights through ncl to San Juan, we missed the muster drill, and had to do the makeup drill which was organized chaos. Writing everyone's room numbers down on paper, then we received a voice mail in the room that we never attended. Well they didn't even care, could've just skipped it. 

3 minutes ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

We always get a hotel a day early and call for a flight deviation. NCLs flights can be pretty ridiculous. Usually if they give us a late flight for departure, we will choose to do the excursion to the airport. Since we're platinum, we can get on the ship right away, ncl may have you arrive early or somewhere between lunch.

When we used the flights through ncl to San Juan, we missed the muster drill, and had to do the makeup drill which was organized chaos. Writing everyone's room numbers down on paper, then we received a voice mail in the room that we never attended. Well they didn't even care, could've just skipped it. 

That's funny.  We missed the muster due to NCL's air arrangements in Hawaii and willingly just blew it off at Port Canaveral once.  They just kept bugging us until we did something to make up for it (I honestly don't remember if it was a make up session, detention, video, or whatever...)

We've booked the BOGO air for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise in January 2022. They're quoting about $250 per person ($500 total) from Milwaukee. When we called, they said that we could pick whether we wanted to arrive 1-2 days early or stay 1-2 days later. We normally arrive early anyway, plus with this itinerary you have to arrive at least a day ahead in order to get to the ship in time. I suspect this also helps them to get all the passengers to and from a smaller airport like Panama City without paying too much for airfares.

I suppose we can change our minds until we make the final payment. Most likely, paying for checked bags would offset some of the savings (if we can't use Delta and get free bags).

For those of you flying to Europe (I saw a few mention Rome) - are you concerned about NCL's ability to get you on a flight that complies with the current Italian requirements to avoid quarantine? Right now citizens of the US can only fly into Italy on approved "covid-tested" non-stop flights out of JFK, Boston and Atlanta.  I think they have added a few more airports since then but unsure which ones.   Failure to take one of these flights results in a mandatory 10 day quarantine when you arrive in Italy.  There are limited approved airlines and departures available.   I have a cruise at the end of September out of Rome.   I have been hesitant to take advantage of buy one get one 1/2 off airfare for this reason.  A call to NCL customer service was unfruitful - it appeared they were unaware of these requirements so that made me more uncomfortable.  

I was unaware of this requirement, I thought that was lifted in the last month or so. I figure they will put us on an appropriate flight since their "guarantee" is that if you use their airfare they'll get you to the cruise in case of delays - I know that really wouldn't apply to quarantine

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 2:55 PM, TACoor said:

Travel agent recommended taking the BOGO Miami to Rome for a (hopefully) December transatlantic cruise. I snagged $499 one way for two people. As someone said, if that cruise gets cancelled, we get the airfare refunded along with the cruise price, won't have to deal with airline refund rules.

I just booked Alaska sept 4th with airfare...I could have booked my own airfare for the same price, better times and more control, but didn't want to deal with airline refund rules, especially with everything so uncertain. 

3 hours ago, Cb2534 said:

For those of you flying to Europe (I saw a few mention Rome) - are you concerned about NCL's ability to get you on a flight that complies with the current Italian requirements to avoid quarantine? Right now citizens of the US can only fly into Italy on approved "covid-tested" non-stop flights out of JFK, Boston and Atlanta.  I think they have added a few more airports since then but unsure which ones.   Failure to take one of these flights results in a mandatory 10 day quarantine when you arrive in Italy.  There are limited approved airlines and departures available.   I have a cruise at the end of September out of Rome.   I have been hesitant to take advantage of buy one get one 1/2 off airfare for this reason.  A call to NCL customer service was unfruitful - it appeared they were unaware of these requirements so that made me more uncomfortable.  

Interesting read:  http://www.italia.it/en/useful-info/covid-19-updates-information-for-tourists.html

So what happens if you connect via Paris or Frankfurt?  Technically you are already in the EU after arriving in Paris and Frankfurt then clearing EU's customs.  What about London?  If you transit through London airport's "airside", does that mean you are arriving from the US since you were not admitted entry into the UK?

Right now the only "covid tested" flights being offered by the approved airlines out of the US are non-stop to Rome.  I would assume a flight with a connection would not qualify and the 10 day quarantine would apply.

I would hope the rules change by fall but at the rate the airfares are climbing, I am going to book a covid tested flight to Rome now.  I don't think my wallet can wait or gamble that these rules will loosen by then.  

Edited by Cb2534
Add

It appears that "COVID Tested" flights apply only to international flights arriving in Italy.  If I'm flying from Paris to Venice, that's an intra-EU flight and a different set of rules apply.

The confusion stems from whether Italy considers the trip's O&D or just the last segment when it comes to applying COVID restrictions.  Guess that's something Italian Consulate has to answer.

46 minutes ago, Selion said:

It appears that "COVID Tested" flights apply only to international flights arriving in Italy.  If I'm flying from Paris to Venice, that's an intra-EU flight and a different set of rules apply.

The confusion stems from whether Italy considers the trip's O&D or just the last segment when it comes to applying COVID restrictions.  Guess that's something Italian Consulate has to answer.

This article may offer some guidance:

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioNotizieNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english&menu=notizie&p=dalministero&id=5488

Quoting from the article now:

"The Minister of Health, Roberto Speranza, has signed an ordinance allowing entry from the countries of the European Union and the Schengen Area, as well as from Great Britain and Israel, with a negative swab test, without compulsory quarantine. Travellers are still required to produce on arrival a negative molecular or antigen test, taken in the 48 hours prior to arrival in Italy.

However, the restrictions against Brazil have been extended until 30 July 2021.

The Minister has also ordered the extension of trials of ‘Covid-tested’ flights, already in operation at Rome and Milan airports, to Venice and Naples. Passengers on Covid-tested flights must take a molecular or antigen test before departure and, if the result is negative, upon arrival at their destination they are authorised to enter and travel in Italy without having to comply with health surveillance and fiduciary isolation, where otherwise required.

Until now, Covid-tested flights only covered routes between the United States and Italy but the new ordinance includes departures from Canada, Japan and the United Arab Emirates.

The ordinances are effective from 16 May 2021 to 31 July 2021."

This would seem to suggest two things that are relevant for US passengers: 1. If you're coming from the US, you now have two additional airports (Venice and Naples) besides Rome and Milan for the Covid-tested flights. 2. If you're flying from the US via Great Britain, there's no quarantine.

Our hope is to fly to Venice in August for a Mediterranean cruise AND we're connecting in the UK, so I think this is good news.

Edited by DCGuy64

Took advantage of this for the Prima sailing. We are flying from Philadelphia to Reykjavik and then London to Philadelphia. Most likely will be American Airlines since we are a hub for them. I know we are going to want to spend an extra day in each of those cities, so I guess we will worry about that hurdle in 2023.

I booked a Mexican Riviera cruise out of LA in January, and although my reservation doesn't show specific flights, it already shows PIT-CLT,CLT-LAX and LAX-DFW,DFW-PIT.  Assuming they'll be on American since that flight through Charlotte is a pretty common one out of Pittsburgh.

Checked on Expedia and the most likely flight will leave here at 5am, unless they're really going to cut it close with the 3pm sailing.

So my question is this, to those of you who diverted flight itinerary to a day before or after, do you forfeit that portion of the transfers, or if I stay in a hotel near the airport can I still use them?

And it was a good deal.  $199.  Even taking in to account that I'll have to pay for bags and maybe seat selection it's still less than the $330 Southwest is currently showing for December (not able to check past 1/5 for now), and Southwest suspended their direct to LAX during covid so I'd still need to connect somewhere.

Edited by kpjb

1 hour ago, kpjb said:

So my question is this, to those of you who diverted flight itinerary to a day before or after, do you forfeit that portion of the transfers, or if I stay in a hotel near the airport can I still use them?

If you requested a deviation (early arrival or late departure by up to 2 days), NCL will give you $25 credit per person per transfer.  You just need to arrange your own transportation to and from your pre- and/or post-cruise hotel.

Edited by Selion

On 6/13/2021 at 12:48 PM, barbiecruiser27 said:

This would be Orlando to Greece- so assuming we'd land the day prior and need to book a hotel on our own? Do they select seats together for the flights? Or can you pay extra on the flight to sit with your travel partner?

My family received our flights to Athens this week on American Airlines.  We are a group of 6.  Could only find two sets of three seats a few rows apart on our flight from Chicago to Athens.  There were no seats selected for us. British airways on the way back, so we had to log into British Airways to select those seats.  It's not explained anywhere.  My sister-in-law is a travel wizard.

My sister-in-law has to pay on her flight (Iberia) if she wants to sit next to my brother/select seats on their flight to Athens.  We are all flying out of Wisconsin through Chicago.  Some of us from Green Bay and some from Madison.

I've done over a couple dozen cruises, but just booked my first NCL cruise and took advantage of BOGO airfare.  Flights from my area to Copenhagen for this flight start around $1200 and this was the price for one person with NCL.  So, with two people, we are flying for half-price.  Will be interesting to see what kind of flights we get.  I'm not expecting them to be great, but with a savings like that, I'm willing to put up with a little discomfort   

On 6/20/2021 at 11:40 AM, Sailing Smooth said:

My family received our flights to Athens this week on American Airlines.  We are a group of 6.  Could only find two sets of three seats a few rows apart on our flight from Chicago to Athens.  There were no seats selected for us. British airways on the way back, so we had to log into British Airways to select those seats.  It's not explained anywhere.  My sister-in-law is a travel wizard.

My sister-in-law has to pay on her flight (Iberia) if she wants to sit next to my brother/select seats on their flight to Athens.  We are all flying out of Wisconsin through Chicago.  Some of us from Green Bay and some from Madison.

Similar story here. We are flying  Newark>Montreal>Athens on Air Canada. For these flights we have to pay to select seats or leave it up to chance. The way back is Athens>London>Newark on British Airways and seat selection for these are free of charge.

We also took advantage of a BOGO offer for Northern Europe in July 2022.  And then also Alaska in April 2022.  Our home port is San Diego.  this is what I found:

when we did mock bookings, San Diego to London (Southampton cruise departure), returning from Reykjavik…it was approx 800 each.  Not bad.  I checked LAX…300 each.  For the 1000 we are saving, we will rent a car, drive to LA, spend the night and then rent a car for the drive home upon return, and we will still save money.  It is about 90 minute drive.  We requested deviation on both sides.  $25 fee each way per person. Deviation removed the automatically added transfer fees from/to the airport.

for Alaska…the cruise departs from San Diego.  So we only need 1 way air at the end of the cruise.  When booked it was $50 each.  I rebooked later to take advantage of 30% and free gratuities. But lost the air.  So I am now paying the air through ncl.  225 each.  Still ends up less than original booking.  I have found, on my own, air for 200 each, so at the moment I am leaving it alone, let them handle getting us home.  No deviation.

with how quickly everything is changing, I’m not worrying too much about what regulations will be in place until maybe December or January.  We have also just booked our 1st HI cruise on POA for 2024.  Will keep an eye on airfare, as we live in San Diego we often see flight deals to HI.

this will be my first time using air through NCL.

I have booked from the cruise line before and it has worked out, we did arrive the morning of the cruise on a flight from the US to Barcelona but we just had to wait at the airport a while.  It all just depends upon the price  with many cruises being so far out and the airfare so low adjusting for a hotel stay to make the flight easier will still be cheaper1

On 6/11/2021 at 4:29 PM, Lkozinko said:

I have just booked a BOGO cruise and it was definitely cost worthy to go with NCL. New Orleans to Rome for a 7 day cruise was $1250 for both of us. Now we don't cruise until July 2022, but was trying to get the best deal.

How were you able to get BOGO on the cruise?  That's a great deal.

17 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

How were you able to get BOGO on the cruise?  That's a great deal.

I did not get BOGO on the cruise portion I received the BOGO on the airfare. I apologize for the confusion. 

We took advantage of the BOGO airfare for our March 2022 Panama Canal cruise originating from Panama City and ending 8 days later in Colon. The price was $600 plus $80 each for transfers. We choose the airfare/transfer option just to take one thing off of our plate especially since the cruise ends in colon snd we would need to transfer back to Panama City.

The routing in our cruise planner is flying PDX to Houston and on to PTY. The most likely flight leaves PDX at 12:30am day of the cruise snd lands in Panama at Noon - 12 hours before the cruise departs.