pre existing conditions waiver

Laurab23

Any insurance that will waive it if purchasing by final payment? We booked cruises 2 years ago for end of 2022 and beginning of 2023.So far in advance we did not purchase insurance then. We will both be turning 70 this December and both live in different states.

Laura

I went to this website and saw that CSA Freestyle would meet your final payment requirements for NY.

Want to Understand How Trip Cancellation Insurance Works? 888-407-3854 Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

However, please note one of the conditions for this policy

You must insure 100% of all prepaid and non-refundable trip costs to get pre-existing medical condition coverage

Edited by klfrodo

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for duplicating this post on another thread. I was told that in order to get the pre-existing medical condition coverage, the policy must be purchased within a certain number of days from the cruise deposit. However, if the pre-existing medical condition is waived, there doesn't seem to be a time limit on when the insurance needs to be purchased. Is this true?

16 hours ago, OceanPatter said:

Sorry for duplicating this post on another thread. I was told that in order to get the pre-existing medical condition coverage, the policy must be purchased within a certain number of days from the cruise deposit. However, if the pre-existing medical condition is waived, there doesn't seem to be a time limit on when the insurance needs to be purchased. Is this true?

Hi OceanPatter,

Most plans require you to buy within 14 - 21 days of your first payment. Others require you to buy by your final payment.

Steve Dasseos

On 6/26/2021 at 2:22 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi OceanPatter,

Most plans require you to buy within 14 - 21 days of your first payment. Others require you to buy by your final payment.

Steve Dasseos

Can you name policies that give you that long to buy? I understand that some allow you to up the coverage amount as you add nonrefundable payments.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:04 PM, OceanPatter said:

If you do not want the pre-existing condition waiver, then there is no requirement to buy right away.

Just be sure that you do not have a pre-existing condition as defined by the insurance policy. Any change in meds that causes your condition to become unstable will be considered pre-existing if you have to file a claim.

Also be sure to check if the pre-existing condition clause includes family members not traveling with you  such as elderly parents.

Thanks, Babr, for the additional guidance. Overall, it's good to get the pre-existing condition covered. On the other hand, it does require one to buy right away. At least we have a few days to mull this over.

Travel insurance (trip cancellation), however, does seem pretty expensive, at about 12% of the cruise cost. Our credit card already covers $20K (w/o pre-existing condition coverage), which is great ... but our cruise exceeds that amount quite a bit. Hence the consideration of insurance.

Edited by OceanPatter

43 minutes ago, Babr said:

If you do not want the pre-existing condition waiver, then there is no requirement to buy right away.

Just be sure that you do not have a pre-existing condition as defined by the insurance policy. Any change in meds that causes your condition to become unstable will be considered pre-existing if you have to file a claim.

Also be sure to check if the pre-existing condition clause includes family members not traveling with you  such as elderly parents.

Sorry, Babr ... meant to reply to your comment above.

19 minutes ago, OceanPatter said:

Thanks, Babr, for the additional guidance. Overall, it's good to get the pre-existing condition covered. On the other hand, it does require one to buy right away. At least we have a few days to mull this over.

Travel insurance (trip cancellation), however, does seem pretty expensive, at about 12% of the cruise cost. Our credit card already covers $20K (w/o pre-existing condition coverage), which is great ... but our cruise exceeds that amount quite a bit. Hence the consideration of insurance.

It seems that you are looking for a comprehensive plan that covers both medical and cancellation. You still have some options . You can buy within the prescribed time limit at initial deposit or you can buy at final payment. Steve, who posted earlier, also has plans that allow you to insure the deposit and add expenses as you go. 

It depends on what makes you comfortable, but there is no getting around that it is costly to insure an expensive trip. I find that especially true as I age.

4 hours ago, OceanPatter said:

You can find policies that will cover pre-existing conditions that do not require purchase within a set number of days after the first deposit on your trip.  Go to insuremytrip.com  and compare.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:14 AM, TomBeckCruise said:

Can you name policies that give you that long to buy? I understand that some allow you to up the coverage amount as you add nonrefundable payments.

Hi TomBeckCruise,

All plans I know do this. There are too many to mention here.

As for the "pay as you go", not all companies allow this and the ones that do have very specific rules.

The December 2020 to January 2021 Q & A I did here on CruiseCritic has been re-opened. You will find lots of helpful information on it at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2500-qa-cruise-insurance-with-the-tripinsurancestorecom-june-2021/

Steve Dasseos