Whale watching for someone with mobility issues?

SOPOME

For those of you who are familiar with the whale watching boats, do you know of one vs another that might be better for people with mobility issues?

We will have 2 family members who will be using scooters while on the cruise, but can walk short distances without it, or a wheelchair.

The RCCL excursions all say not handicap accessible, so it's unclear how difficult it might be getting on and off, and walking on the boat.

Thanks for your insight!

Yes, contact the local operators for information on accessibility. In 2017 we took Dolphin Jet Boat Tours. The boat was accessible for a manual wheelchair and I'm pretty sure I was able to roll right on to the boat. The only difficulty was when we came back the ramp up from the boat was fairly steep (due to the tide) and we needed assistance getting to the top.

mail@dolphintours.com

• Thanks 1

My sister uses a rollator and she has had no issues with going on the whale watch tours with the cruiselines. She was able to put the rollator underneath the bus for any tour. Could do the same with a wheelchair. Not sure about a scooter.  If you are talking Juneau, Allen Marine usually does the whale watching tours. You could contact them to find out. 

• Thanks 1