LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

Reporting live from JUPITER, day 2 in Reykjavik and departure.  Couldn't do much until now because I brought phone cord for old phone...duh!  Also was very busy today with Iceland from the Lens long excursion.  But things are great here. 3 drawers in closet on DV cabins on \jupiter, and has Explorer's Dome.  Very booked up between reduced capacity and smallness of planetarium.  Book early at usual desks on deck 1!  There are 3 or 4 programs and 3 or 4 times a day, but they're very popular.  We got one for a day or so at 6 pm after they checked our dinner and excursion rezzies. 

Forgive the extra dashes. \using computer across from explorer's desks, but not used to this keyboard.  Anyway, one tip is that if you want to check where to get off the ship each day, it's posted in the elevators.  \often 2 but of course it varies as water and pier heights differ.  Took photography Xcursion.  \pretty good, mostly lava though, so hopefully you like lava!  Sig, photographer guide, is low key, a little dry humor, and made it very clear he was available to answer questions or help people.  \he usually walks around the best parts of a site but doesn't give details as to how to photograph it.  \it's not a photography class for 20 people.  Went to 5 different locations, including small fishing town of Grindavik for lunch.  Time is a little rushed for those of us who can take forever to explore locations, but overall \I found many things to photograph.  \it as a mini Golden Circle of sorts, with lots more lava!  We also saw a lighthouse, nesting terns, heard a lot of good info about \iceland, and a few amusing stories.  Sig is not a bubbly guy but that was fine with me ..helpful if you wanted help.  Well worth the money. We saw bubbling colorful pots of mud, steaming pots, lava, rock structures, sea stacks, etc.  Think people were pretty happy with it.  \have to watch your step though, uneven surfaces and loose rocks, common in Iceland.  But a couple places had a nice boardwalk.  Can go pretty much where you want in the time given or tag along with Sig.

Got the saliva production going first thing this morning - much easier and quicker than yesterday.  Did short health questionnaire on TV, can also do it on paper they give you each day, or Viking voyager app. Breakfast was good; dinner was in Restaurant - took long time, but was quite good.  Tables pretty much every other one filled, but for half the meal we had a couple next to us. Didn't talk to them much, though.  Distancing and masking 100 percent on excursion except for lunch, where they seated you with people already close to you on the bus.  Bus was about half to 2 thirds full, people mostly sat every other row. Bathroom on the bus, and at two of the stops.  Never went more than an hour on bus between stops.  Was all in Reykjanes peninsula.  Saw 2 parking lots with people walking to see volcano.  Told that it's very long walk.  Told also that in about a month the lava spewing is expected.  Weather ok, no rain today just gray but occasionally blue sky.  Shoved off at 6. On our way to isafjordur tonight.  People are having fun and no complaints heard.  if you need anything, just ask.  Haven't heard how many people are on board, but it certainly is NOT the least bit empty.  There's a little party coming up in a few days for people who have cruised with Viking before.  Trivia tonight and music by various performers.  Not my thing, but they have their fans....

Husband took the included Reykjavik trip today, basically a drive around, nothing too exciting but pleasant.  He found a charger cord for me at the small store at the pier, very grateful. 

Look for me if you're up very early.  i'll be on that \isafjordur webcam for the 10 AM trip to Vigur. The boat comes to the pier near the red building on the cam.   Many of the optional excursions are filled up, though.  Spouse is taking the Turf Farm excursion in the afternoon and i'm doing the included excursion. Isafjordur is supposedly fairly easy to walk in, too, so if \i have any extra time, \I'll check it out a little. 

Miscellaneous stuff ...temp on board ship very good.  Temp in Reykjavik was tolerable without a coat, just fleeces for me.  8:30 your cabin attendant comes around for the tubes.  If you're late, you just leave them for him to collect later.  Remember to check Viking Daily for excursion time and where you meet.  Lots of meeting places are on the pier = just be sure you don't get on shuttle in Reykjavik instead of the coach you want.  Viking people are usually around, though, even if you're out there early.

Will try to answer questions in a little while.  But \i really need to get organized.  And \i'm looking for a lighthouse soon ....saw 6 in Reykjavik and on sailaway.  

TTFN

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Will try to answer questions in a little while.  But \i really need to get organized.  And \i'm looking for a lighthouse soon ....saw 6 in Reykjavik and on sailaway.  

Also look out for Orca (Killer Whale) which we saw in the morning as we approached Isafjordur. 

Loving the TTFN. 

2 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Viking Sky

And for those that like to collect such things we had a lovely certificate in our stateroom tonight regarding our crossing of the Arctic circle a day or two ago. 

Class touch Viking. 

TTFN 

Did anyone on the Jupiter get the certificate for the crossing?  We did not but was hoping too. The dailies did say that we crossed the Arctic Circle. 

1 hour ago, StuLaurie said:

Did anyone on the Jupiter get the certificate for the crossing?  We did not but was hoping too. The dailies did say that we crossed the Arctic Circle. 

Those of us on the July 13 Jupiter sailing did not get the certificate, much to our disappointment.

3 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Viking Sky

IMHO it’s well worth the effort. 

You have plenty of time, we were here at 8 this morning and I think we leave at 10:30 tonight. 

It’s just typical we snagged a great table by the window at Manfredi’s tonight only to have a view across the dock side. Last night we were cruising past stunning scenery with great light. Such is life, when you travel you have to take the rough with the smooth. 

Just a comment about temperature on board for those considering what to pack. We have done two VO cruises previously, both in warm climates and both times the air con was turned up high so it was quite cool in the public areas. On this trip to a cooler climate, a jumper or jacket is not required around the ship in the evening. Obviously we all feel temperature differently so pack what works best for you. 

TTFN

This isn’t clear. So is it warmer inside?  What do you recommend?

5 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Viking Sky

And for those that like to collect such things we had a lovely certificate in our stateroom tonight regarding our crossing of the Arctic circle a day or two ago. 

Class touch Viking. 

TTFN 

We didn’t get the certificates on the Jupiter.

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

8:30 your cabin attendant comes around for the tubes.  If you're late, you just leave them for him to collect later. 

Our attendant rang the bell for our tubes at 8am - waited if they weren't ready!  not quite as pleasant as your experience.  

1 hour ago, anaco_angler said:

Those of us on the July 13 Jupiter sailing did not get the certificate, much to our disappointment.

I believe that we did not get the certificate because the trip into the artic circle happens between Akureyri and Seydisfjordur.  We sped to get to Seydisfjordur early so the captain would be able to negotiate any problems with authorities there.  I'm glad that we were able to go ashore as planned, so didn't care as much about crossing into the circle.  Highly recommend to book your next Viking adventure for "Into the Midnight Sun" - you'll get the full crossing ceremony!

• Like 1

Just received the email.  Don't know what the next steps are.  I wouldn't mind just staying on the ship (so sick of not going anywhere).  But travel partner wants to cancel.  Unfortunately, I dont think that is possible.  

15 minutes ago, skn_lgb said:

Just received the email.  Don't know what the next steps are.  I wouldn't mind just staying on the ship (so sick of not going anywhere).  But travel partner wants to cancel.  Unfortunately, I dont think that is possible.  

I’m feeling the same

38 minutes ago, pageca1 said:

FYI.  Just received an email from Viking.  As of August 3rd. only Viking sponsored excursions are allowed.  Boarding Sky on August 13th.

Does anyone else have information?

04AUG2021

Dear Viking Guest,

This message is to advise you of a change to what was previously communicated regarding independent exploration in Iceland.

On August 2, 2021, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated the travel advisory level for Iceland to a "Level 3." As a result of this change, we do not expect that independent exploration will be permitted. Therefore only Viking-operated shore excursions will be allowed during your voyage. Rest assured, we will offer a range of shore excursions, including sightseeing, special interest and active tours, and each one will be hosted by an experienced guide. We continue to monitor the situation and will notify you of any changes. 

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please call Reservations at 1-855-300-3970, Monday through Sunday, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

We look forward to welcoming you on board

4 hours ago, BarbRN said:

This isn’t clear. So is it warmer inside?  What do you recommend?

live from Sky

Sorry Barb, what I was trying to say is that the inside temperature in the public areas was was warmer than I expected based on our previous two VO cruisrs which were in warmer climates than Iceland. 

The temperature in the public rooms was just right for us without having to wear a jumper. On previous trips we have found the a/c a shade too cold and you needed a jumper or wrap on to be comfortable at times. 

As for recommendations, we all feel temperature different, so just as for outside in Iceland, bring multiple layers and be flexible. 

TTFN

Currently onboard Jupiter. A couple of pieces of advice. If you connect through Minneapolis, take the tram between terminals. We started to walk because we didn’t realize how far it was and would have missed our flight if an employee in a cart hadn’t driven us

Second tip, take your iPhone charging cord with you on your excursions. The buses have USB ports. Several people on our Golden Circle tour had dead phones/cameras before excursion ended

We haven’t had the best of weather. Drizzly weather everyday. Glad we brought and wore rain suits

• Like 2

17 hours ago, susanlik said:

Did verfi yesterday submitted and are pending verifcation 

Susanlikowski@hotmail.com

Just saw notification that independent tours are not allowed. Not happy but was able to pick up a couple of ship tours that were still available. 

Currently onboard Jupiter. A couple of pieces of advice. If you connect through Minneapolis, take the tram between terminals. We started to walk because we didn’t realize how far it was and would have missed our flight if an employee in a cart hadn’t driven us

Second tip, take your iPhone charging cord with you on your excursions. The buses have USB ports. Several people on our Golden Circle tour had dead phones/cameras before excursion ended

We haven’t had the best of weather. Drizzly weather everyday. Glad we brought and wore rain suits

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Thanks for the information on Minneapolis Terminal.  Were you on Delta?  Do Terminals have names or letters?  I researched the Minneapolis Terminal a week or so ago but could not accurately tell where we would land and then where we would go for takeoff to Iceland.  Many terminals have separate domestic and international terminals.

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Thanks for the information on Minneapolis Terminal.  Were you on Delta?  Do Terminals have names or letters?  I researched the Minneapolis Terminal a week or so ago but could not accurately tell where we would land and then where we would go for takeoff to Iceland.  Many terminals have separate domestic and international terminals.

We were on Delta when we flew. We were on the 7:30 pm flight. The plane started to board at 6:30. We flew out of Terminal 1, gate F8. I am not sure which gate we landed at when we arrived at MSP but it was Delta’s domestic terminal. It was a long walk but we knew we had plenty of time ( more than 2 hours) so walked it before getting on the plane for that long flight.