LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

Our plane gets into Reykjavik at 7:30 AM, and I know we'll be tired, but we'd like to go to the Blue Lagoon that day. I've been reading about a lengthy process to get to the ship. I'm wondering if we'd be able to get picked up from the cruise port at 12:30 after checking in?

Made it to Reykjavik and JUPITER. Airport at 6.30am wasn't bad. Got out in an hour. Have 4 docs handy, showed 3 or 4 times with last time all 4...barcode, test results, vax proof, passport. Viking found us easily, taken to Harpa on bus 2. Checked luggage was taken away to ship. We and anything we wanted to keep out went on coach. At Harpa we checked in for viking, had picture taken, got tracing device device and gave credit card. Had cold quiche and pastries, yogurt drink, coffee etc in large room at Harpa. At around 11 taken on same bus to ship. Trips are staggered so may leave later than 11. I went out and walked around for an hour or so after breakfast. At port Cruise Director Katy stepped on bus with intro. Went inside for key card and packet of excursion tix. Dont have times on them, those are announced in viking daily. Taken individually to muster station to get brief personal life vest demo. Vests kept at your muster station. Then I went to Explorers desk on deck 1 to ask if had room for one more person vigur island. Thrilled to get a ticket for 10.00 trip. Husband asked if could go to chef's table tonight for his favorite asian panorama meal. Yes! 7p. First day most people go to Restaurant so not a problem. Had light lunch at pool deck grill. Then at 1 announcement came that rooms were ready. Went and did saliva samples. Took multiple tries to get 2 ml but no big deal. Room attendent comes by with bag to get them. Then unpacked a little and went back out. Got totally drenched with sudden downpour but had fun. Spouse unpacked and took nap. We checked out tv info including how to do daily health ? on tv. Havent loaded viking voyager app yet. Ship and crew are awesome. Better than ever before. But you'll need patience if you fly in early morning, as the airport process, Harpa, etc takes time while ship is thoroughly cleaned. Going on Throuh the Lens excursion tomorrow and husband is doing the Snapshots included excursion. Weather is not bad but not great. No wind or cold but keeps changing!!! Shuttle every half hour to Harpa is helpful. Distancing and masking compliance have been quite good. Crew awesome. Nice mix of cruisers...a little younger than normal. If want excursion that was sold out precruise, suggest you go ask about it when first get on ship. I was told a number of the optional ones are totally full with vendor unable to add more trips. But Vigur Island for me was a fabulous surprise. Jupiter chef table menu is asian panorama today tues and tomorrow and then California (halibut etc.) 3 days.  Rotation is on tv and  on screen at chefs table. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20210803_115944.thumb.jpg.7214b85880ee70d9ef69868c4c3b52a9.jpgView from ship, contact tracer, old harbor lighthouses from near Harpa, Harpa inside, bakery near Hallgrimskirkja, artwork outside our door. Oh, and yes, just for info, there is an "Explorer's Dome" with shows on Jupiter and 3 drawers in closet (no pictures).

20210803_203006.jpg

20210803_105459.jpg

20210803_075500.jpg

20210803_205730.jpg

20210803_115944.jpg

20210803_092657.jpg

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, susanlik said:

Please review the tour and let us know what the temperatures are like inland

have fun

Live from Viking Sky

The tour was excellent. There were 32 on our coach, 100% adherence to mask wearing. The weather inland was warmer and sunnier than on the coast and the sun came out as well. I wore shirt over a t-shirt and that was plenty warm enough all day. 

It was warm and there was little wind so we did have midges at both the lava tunnel walk and at Lake Myvatn. We were prepared so had our insect repellant clothing from our trips to Africa plus a wide brimmed hat and a bug net.

Would definitely recommend buying a bug net as they would only be a few $’s from Amazon wherever you are. 

We did a circular tour around the lake as part of the trip. We did this in anti clockwise direction so if this is the normal route you may wish to sit on the left hand side of the coach and not the right. This was only a small matter as the views from the Lake walk was stunning especially from the viewing platforms. 

We had previously visited three of the four sights previously whilst doing a self drive holiday a few years ago but the sights are all well worth visiting again. 

The extra glacial melt caused by the warmer weather earlier in the year meant that the Godafoss waterfall was very impressive. I guess with global warming what is bad for glaciers is good for waterfalls! 

The time allocated to  each stop was just right, all fellow pax were a good bunch and all arrived back to the coach on time. 

As I reported after the Golden Circle tour we were seated in small groups for lunch that matched who we were nearby to on the coach. 

Early dinner in Manfredis tonight. I am sure it will be as good as it I remember it. 

TTFN. 

• Like 4

Live from Viking Sky

Excellent meal in Manfredi’s last night. Don’t you just love the way the staff all try and talk Italian to us.  

The spacing of the 2 tops by the window and the next row is better than in the MDR due the siting of some pillars. It was easy to have conversation with your neighbouring table without feeling Covid compromised. 

We asked if we could return either Wednesday or Friday and asked for an early time and we have awoken this morning to see that we have an reservation at 5:30 tonight in the calendar on the Viking App. 

This morning at 8:00am the captain came on the speaker in all the staterooms to make important announcement. At this point my heart missed a beat as I feared in may be a Covid positive announcement but not to worry it was a general but firm reminder for all passengers to wear face masks when indoors and on the coaches as well as needing to make sure they covered the nose. 

We have now docked into seydusfjirdur which was due to be a tender port. So just don’t trust those little anchors on the itinerary. 

TTFN 

• Like 2

Not sailing till 8/31 but not clear on what the "bar code" document is . Apparently needed to enter country. Can someone explain what it is. Also completed the Verfly process for proof of vaccination and both my wife and myself are verified. This is an app on my phone and hoping that showing them the approved pass on my phone is all that's needed. 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:11 PM, IheartNYC said:

We took an outside tour to Dynjandi waterfalls and it was breathtaking! I really wanted to see this waterfall but it was sold out on the Viking website and so I researched and came upon the Arctic shorex website. I was very skeptical at first but I finally booked the tour after a person posted here at CC that they booked a tour through them and loved it.

Shout out to Runar who was our amazing guide! We were the only ones that booked the tour through them and we're so grateful that they didn't cancel on us. It essentially became a private tour for 2. Runar was very patient in answering all our questions and even accompanied us as we trekked up towards the landing closest to the waterfall. Also, he said he wanted to get a headstart so as to avoid the 4 Viking buses going to the same place So we had the waterfalls all to ourselves at least a good 30 minutes before they all came.

Also, this tour cost us ISK15000 which is equivalent to roughly $120. So much cheaper than what Viking was charging. We then went to a farm (birthplace of one of their founding fathers, Jon Sigurdsson) that had a small museum,  a restored turf house and a chapel. Try the home baked goods they sell on the farm. The oatmeal/rhubarb bar and the Skyr pie paired with coffee were amazing!! All in all a perfect way to spend 5 hours at Isafjordur. We started  at 830am and got back to the ship at 140pm. We even had ample time to catch one of the afternoon complimentary Viking tours to Bolungarvik which was also great. I'm glad we were able to support a smaller tour company. Don't hesitate to book with them.

https://arcticshorex.com/tours/isafjordur-dynjandi-westfjords/

Great news. My wife and I have booked 3 tours with them on the Jupiter 8/31 cruise.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JM0115 said:

I am no Puffin expert, but I thought the naturalist on the short excursion we took out of Reykjavik on our own said that they were around all year long, but could be wrong about that.

JMO.  That would be wonderful..  I am going on this cruise to please my husband, the puffins were compensation.  If I could see some I would be so happy.    J 

4 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Viking Sky

The tour was excellent. There were 32 on our coach, 100% adherence to mask wearing. The weather inland was warmer and sunnier than on the coast and the sun came out as well. I wore shirt over a t-shirt and that was plenty warm enough all day. 

It was warm and there was little wind so we did have midges at both the lava tunnel walk and at Lake Myvatn. We were prepared so had our insect repellant clothing from our trips to Africa plus a wide brimmed hat and a bug net.

Would definitely recommend buying a bug net as they would only be a few $’s from Amazon wherever you are. 

We did a circular tour around the lake as part of the trip. We did this in anti clockwise direction so if this is the normal route you may wish to sit on the left hand side of the coach and not the right. This was only a small matter as the views from the Lake walk was stunning especially from the viewing platforms. 

We had previously visited three of the four sights previously whilst doing a self drive holiday a few years ago but the sights are all well worth visiting again. 

The extra glacial melt caused by the warmer weather earlier in the year meant that the Godafoss waterfall was very impressive. I guess with global warming what is bad for glaciers is good for waterfalls! 

The time allocated to  each stop was just right, all fellow pax were a good bunch and all arrived back to the coach on time. 

As I reported after the Golden Circle tour we were seated in small groups for lunch that matched who we were nearby to on the coach. 

Early dinner in Manfredis tonight. I am sure it will be as good as it I remember it. 

TTFN. 

Great report

Enjoy dinner

Plans for tommorrow?

2 hours ago, DAVE & PAT said:

Great news. My wife and I have booked 3 tours with them on the Jupiter 8/31 cruise.

Hapoy to have you join us

The meet and mingle for that group is not very active...join me on it

Maybe we can discuss tour options

Su and tom

2 hours ago, DAVE & PAT said:

Not sailing till 8/31 but not clear on what the "bar code" document is . Apparently needed to enter country. Can someone explain what it is. Also completed the Verfly process for proof of vaccination and both my wife and myself are verified. This is an app on my phone and hoping that showing them the approved pass on my phone is all that's needed. 

We get more infi soon

This will be about signing up with iceland....then you get bar code. ...i think.  We are on same sailing and just got lugage tags yesterdsy

14 minutes ago, susanlik said:

We get more infi soon

This will be about signing up with iceland....then you get bar code. ...i think.  We are on same sailing and just got lugage tags yesterdsy

Yes we got our tags also. Have you signed up with Verifly. Easy to do and got verified within 15 minutes. Lots of moving parts for this trip. I will send you our Arctic tours later when I get home. 

3 hours ago, DAVE & PAT said:

Not sailing till 8/31 but not clear on what the "bar code" document is . Apparently needed to enter country. Can someone explain what it is.

You’ll get information from Viking that explains everything you need to complete.  But in summary, you receive the bar code from Iceland after you complete an online form at visit.covid.is. You must wait till you’re within 72 hours of arrival to complete this registration.  Just completed our registration.  Very easy to do, so no worries.

20 hours ago, JM0115 said:

I am no Puffin expert, but I thought the naturalist on the short excursion we took out of Reykjavik on our own said that they were around all year long, but could be wrong about that.

Here’s a good puffin article.

https://independenttravelcats.com/where-to-see-puffins-in-iceland/

1 hour ago, susanlik said:

Hapoy to have you join us

The meet and mingle for that group is not very active...join me on it

Maybe we can discuss tour options

Su and tom

Our bookings with Arctic Shorex are:

9/1 - Golden Circle

9/2- Dynjandi & Westfjords

9/4- Fljotsdalur & Hengifoss

Check them out. 

On 7/26/2021 at 7:26 AM, Snit13 said:

Thank you so much for posting this.  Where did you find it?  I have been searching and calling for a week and have not been able to find anything in writing that is this specific. It is still difficult since we fly out on Monday and arrive in Iceland Tuesday as getting results within the time frame on a weekend is a challenge.  If tested Friday afternoon will we have results Monday morning?

I would recommend getting a quick antigen test (we got ours from CVS and had results in an hour).  No hassles at all at any of the places that asked for the documentation.  AND no worries about whether the results would be back in time.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 6:06 PM, Snit13 said:

I know it is early but any signs of Aurora Borealis?  SIRI told me September thru March best viewing.  I can recall in the 1950's we would frequently be able to see them in Western PA.  

I just returned yesterday (Aug 3) and it never was dark enough to see anything.  I definitely woke up in the night and checked outside to see, but it never was completely dark.

On 7/27/2021 at 12:50 PM, LeenieG said:

I was unable to book the Djúpivogur, Iceland Fjallsarlon Ice Lagoon by Zodiac excursion on September 12, 2021 due to being sold out. I have been checking MVJ, emailed Viking and called Viking regarding cancellations or a wait list without any success.  I found a similar excursion to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon, (without the Zodiac,) but need six more guests to fill the minibus = 8 total at  $320/pp. There may be the possibility of adding a boat tour amidst the floating icebergs.

https://arcticshorex.com/tours/djupivogur-jokulsarlon/

They will give a full refund if we are unable to dock or Viking / Iceland does not allow outside tours.

My contact is:

Rúnar Þór Jóhannsson
Sales & operations manager
Arctic Shorex / Wild Westfjords ehf
kr. 521011-1060
Pollgata 4, 400 Ísafjörður, Iceland

phone-icon  +354 4563300
email-icon   info@arcticshorex.com

I have posted on the Viking Jupiter September 7,2021 Iceland Rollcall but if anyone posts on Facebook please share.   

Thanks, Eileen

Many excursions were sold out before we left home (this was a last minute trip for us).  But when we arrived on board before we were able to access our cabin, I went to guest services and was easily able to make reservations for all the extra excursions we wanted.  The person in guest services to me they never post all the trips ahead of time and many open up when you get on the ship - so that's also another possibility.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DAVE & PAT said:

Our bookings with Arctic Shorex are:

9/1 - Golden Circle

9/2- Dynjandi & Westfjords

9/4- Fljotsdalur & Hengifoss

Check them out. 

We are also on this sailing and have booked thru Viking, but I am rethinking that. Do you know how many people they can accommodate on the Dynjandi trip. We are a group of 4.

Thanks in advance! BTW we are from the East Coast of Florida, going a few days early and doing the Golden Circle before boarding ship.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:12 PM, jtwind said:

So, I guess the answer is that you can't tell us anything about the contact tracing specifics.

The rfd time and distance data would be used to generate a list of names.  The people on the list would then be interviewed.

I never saw anyone on our trip that was not wearing a mask on board, on a bus, or on an excursion.  Once in a great while, someone would walk out of their room heading toward the elevator and then go "Oops" and pull their mask up quickly.  Obviously in the restaurants masks were removed when the food arrived, but that was the only time.  Also on the outdoor excursions some people removed their masks when we were outdoors, but most people kept them on all the time.

On 7/28/2021 at 7:11 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

So if we want to ask about the possibility of changing our Chef's Table reservation, where do we go on embarkation day?  And will there likely be a long line? 

We were on the July 27the trip and there was a whole restaurant reservation section set up in the Atrium First floor lobby.  On previous trips you went to the restaurant to change reservations, but this time it was easy and all in one place.