LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

16 hours ago, trhattan said:

We did the July 20 Jupiter cruise.  All the pools were open but the capacity limits were IIRC, 4 to a pool, 2 to a hot tub.  So the 2 people in the Infinity pool picture were 1/2 of the capacity limit.

Glad to hear that the hot tub was limited to two people.   That’s perfect for my wife and I.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:46 AM, dcl999 said:

It seems odd that passengers with Viking transfers are confined but those who book independently can wander around Iceland for hours or days and then mingle with everyone else. Is Viking following any different protocol for the independent travelers? 

We’re traveling in 4 days prior to our 9/7 sailing and have numerous tours and dinner reservations booked. Haven’t heard of any different protocols. 

2 hours ago, BarbRN said:

Arrived yesterday in Iceland. Transfers were smooth but there’s a lot to do and I was so exhausted from being awake 24 hours I just wanted to get on my room. We finally got to the ship and they had lunch for us and then you have to do the muster information. I thought it would never end and at 1 o’clock we finally got in our room. It wasn’t is nice of an arrival as the river cruises where people are lined up to help you do your room etc. but the ship is absolutely gorgeous.  You can walk around and look at artifacts and design for hours. Every single person you walk by that works here is accommodating and friendly and it’s immaculate. The food and service is beyond the best. We canceled some of the excursions because of the bus situation but most people have been gone all morning other than us that I know of. We are going to do a walking to tour tomorrow. It’s very chilly and rainy and overcast for two days about 50°F. The pools and hot tubs are open but nobody’s using them right now. I’m going to take this time to recover and renew from the trip getting here and get a massage today. My husband is having some health problems not related to Covid of course so we’re just chilling out and eating well. 

Glad you made it, Barb. 8 of us met in the Winter Garden yesterday. Having tea now and then to the historian lecture.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, travelordie said:

Given all the discussion about COVID, cruise cancellations and excursion cancellations, I'm not sure whether there's much interest in discussing actual cruise ship amenities but I'll ask anyway in case someone knows the answer.  We'll be on the Viking Sky departing August 28th.  Apparently the main swimming pool becomes an indoor swimming pool when covered by the retractable roof.  Does anyone know whether either the hot tubs or main swimming pool were available for use during the July or August sailings?

Both the indoor and the outdoor hot tubs and swimming pools were available on our Aug 7 cruise.  The hot tubs were max capacity 2 and the pools 4 people. 

4 hours ago, susanlik said:

Do you how many people Viking is putting on their buses 

And weather whole bus would be quarenteened if a positive or just close to that person

We were on the Sky’s Golden Circle tour today and there were 24 people on the tour.  Everyone was good about wearing a mask.  We did mingle with other tourists at restroom stops which were at locations that also had food and shopping.  Was cool and rainy all day.  Was a great tour and a fantastic tour guide.

• Like 2

In light of the discussion of shore excursion funds being rolled into our vouchers, I asked some questions and received the following answers:

Please explain to me the use of the voucher.  Since $$$$$ of the funds in the voucher are from shore excursions which I paid through ACH,

a) Will I be able to use those funds to pay for shore excursions since they will not be released for purchase until after final payment?
Yes, you may use the voucher credit for shore excursions.  The vouchers can be applied to the cruise fare, air fare, shore excursions, prepaid gratuities, pre and post extension or the Silver sprit beverage package.

b) Will I be able to use those funds to pay for shore excursions even if the date they are released for my purchase is after the two year expiration date of the voucher as long as I have used the voucher to make final payment for the cruise before the expiration date?
The voucher just  needs to be applied to a booking prior to the expiration date of the voucher.

c) Will I be able to purchase shore excursions at the reduced ACH rate?
Shore excursions are only discounted with payment by ACH.  Vouchers do not get a ACH discount. 

In general, I am satisfied with the answers and we are looking forward to planning a future cruise. 

• Like 3

Just returned home from Viking Sky Iceland voyage August 14-21.

Yes, we had to stay in the “Viking Bubble” but still had a good time.

Only Viking excursions were allowed.  Mask wearing on buses, excursions  and on ship. COVID spit test daily and wear tracker.   Bus was full for the excursions but people wore mask and we were all from the “bubble”.  
I felt safe with the whole experience and I think Viking took good care of us.

Saw people when we were out but I keep my mask on.  

The Golden Circle trip was great and lunch delicious. (choice of chicken or lamb if you don’t like fish). Also time for shopping in the gift shop.  
Entertainment on the ship was enjoyable.  Especially great was The Viking Band and Paola.  The shows could be improved but…..  if anyone hears the band tell them hello from the tambourine lady. (really)

Dinner at the dining room was a highlight thanks to Mario and his staff. Tell him his family says hello. (6 of us) I was not really impressed with specialty restaurants.

• Like 3

Mac Teacher.  You probably got this on chat?  I have very specific instructions on what I was supposed to do and how Viking would refund my monies.  I did screen shots on the whole chat conversation.  What I was told Friday, things change.  You were misinformed.  Oh and by the way, we misinformed your TA also.  YadaYada

Just food for thought.

I enjoyed meeting several of the people on the cruise from Cruise Critic Saturday evening.  Most people on the Viking Sky currently are good about wearing masks properly.  At times you run into one or two in the hall or elevator without a mask or not on properly.  There are about 630 passengers on the cruise this time.  The only spacing on the excursion buses are the first several rows kept empty behind the driver and guide.  All others are available and depending on the tour could be fairly full.  However, they have added additional excursions so it had reduced the size of the tours I would think.  Spacing in the restaurants in very good with sanitizers used prior to entering by everyone.  Tea tonight was enjoyable.

Edited by bigguy311

1 hour ago, hodges97 said:

Mac Teacher.  You probably got this on chat?  I have very specific instructions on what I was supposed to do and how Viking would refund my monies.  I did screen shots on the whole chat conversation.  What I was told Friday, things change.  You were misinformed.  Oh and by the way, we misinformed your TA also.  YadaYada

Just food for thought.

Actually, I’m too paranoid at this point for chat.  This is in an email signed

Nevaeh Lopez

Viking Management

Viking I Reservations 877.668.4546 I vcmail@viking.com I viking.com

I will, of course, be keeping this email!

I understand.  I apologize for stirring the pot the way I have this weekend.  I'm just really frustrated and dissapointed.  Covid has reared it's ugly head.  I really thought this was about over.  I'm not getting my fall trip and Viuking is being unreasonable.  Oh well.  Life goes on.  

6 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

Hello all.    Sadly we have had to cancel the Iceland Jupiter cruise we were booked on for 7th September,   due to heath issues.   (not Covid)   Very disappointing.   Judith

I understand how disappointed you are. Hoping those that are going have a wonderful vacation.

Greetings from the Viking Jupiter. We are getting off the ship tomorrow and had an absolutely fantastic time! Everyone was masked up everywhere, no positive cases reported (per Katy the cruise director), just missed the last port due to sea and wind conditions. Actually, it was great to have a sea day as it's been so busy. We'll have one more night in Reykjavik then head home on Wednesday. Only negative: 7 nights is way too short!

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

Greetings from the Viking Jupiter. We are getting off the ship tomorrow and had an absolutely fantastic time! Everyone was masked up everywhere, no positive cases reported (per Katy the cruise director), just missed the last port due to sea and wind conditions. Actually, it was great to have a sea day as it's been so busy. We'll have one more night in Reykjavik then head home on Wednesday. Only negative: 7 nights is way too short!

Agree! A fantastic cruise!! So thankful it was covid free. There were a few folks on a couple tours I went on that didn’t properly wear masks, but overall compliance was good. I’m glad we were warned by folks on this site that midges were an issue at mytyvan (sp?) lake. Those face nets came in handy!  I’ll be very happy to turn in my tracker 😊. Highly recommend this cruise...ideally post-covid if available but so glad we did this now. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hodges97 said:

I understand.  I apologize for stirring the pot the way I have this weekend.  I'm just really frustrated and dissapointed.  Covid has reared it's ugly head.  I really thought this was about over.  I'm not getting my fall trip and Viuking is being unreasonable.  Oh well.  Life goes on.  

You have not said anything that was not already going through lots of others’ minds…

I just hope we will get another chance at Iceland soon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Retired2016Cruiser said:

Agree! A fantastic cruise!! So thankful it was covid free. There were a few folks on a couple tours I went on that didn’t properly wear masks, but overall compliance was good. I’m glad we were warned by folks on this site that midges were an issue at mytyvan (sp?) lake. Those face nets came in handy!  I’ll be very happy to turn in my tracker 😊. Highly recommend this cruise...ideally post-covid if available but so glad we did this now. 

Happy to hear you enjoyed your cruise.  Any idea when midge "season" ends?  

Day 3. We had to see ships doctor great people. Nurses were good. Husband having a problem related to Previous cancer. Haven’t gotten to do a thing. Our fault. People are amazing. Rainy foggy chilly and tomorrow the same. What luck. Day 2 had no medical facilities but tomorrow will if needed. No TV today and in the room All day. Such service. Love it. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

Day 3. We had to see ships doctor great people. Nurses were good. Husband having a problem related to Previous cancer. Haven’t gotten to do a thing. Our fault. People are amazing. Rainy foggy chilly and tomorrow the same. What luck. Day 2 had no medical facilities but tomorrow will if needed. No TV today and in the room All day. Such service. Love it. 

Oh I hope everything is ok and your DH get the care or check up he needs.  In the meantime , just let the Viking crew take care of you.

Hugs! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jay23 said:

Hello all.    Sadly we have had to cancel the Iceland Jupiter cruise we were booked on for 7th September,   due to heath issues.   (not Covid)   Very disappointing.   Judith

So sorry for you. Sending our love, your neighbour,   Neil 

Preparing to go and remembered someone posting a time line of all documents needed for this Iceland cruise

does anyone know which posting

verify. 

Visit.COVID.ic

viking health questionnaire

COVID test within 72 hrs

any others?

I have a friend who tried to cancel two excursions 2 days before getting on the 8/17 cruise and Viking said  they could not do it cause excursions had to be cancelled three days prior to voyage.

However,  they got on board today and the Concierge let them cancel the Golden Circle and Natural Treasures without a problem.  In fact the daily sheet stated that excursions for Wed or Thurs had until 8pm tonight ( Tuesday evening to cancel)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

So sorry for you. Sending our love, your neighbour,   Neil 

You are very kind Neil.  Viking have been very fair and understanding and we are booking a replacement cruise along the Douro River next year.  We are hoping my health problems can be solved and sorted out.  Judith

• Like 1