Need help selecting Mardi Gras Balcony Cabin

3smithboys

We are planning on sailing June 2022 for our 30th anniversary and decided last night on the Mardi Gras! We saw 2 cabins- deck 11 ( cabin 11300) and deck 14 (cabin 14333.)  The deck 11 cabin is closer to the elevators and is a connecting cabin. I am kind of concerned about noise from both. It is also a bit more forward of mid ship. The cabin on Deck 14 is more mid ship and not as close to the elevators. Will that be less convenient? Will there be more “sway” higher up?  

I was hoping to get some thoughts/advice from you all here. Thanks! 

15 minutes ago, 3smithboys said:

We are planning on sailing June 2022 for our 30th anniversary and decided last night on the Mardi Gras! We saw 2 cabins- deck 11 ( cabin 11300) and deck 14 (cabin 14333.)  The deck 11 cabin is closer to the elevators and is a connecting cabin. I am kind of concerned about noise from both. It is also a bit more forward of mid ship. The cabin on Deck 14 is more mid ship and not as close to the elevators. Will that be less convenient? Will there be more “sway” higher up?  

I was hoping to get some thoughts/advice from you all here. Thanks! 

What is the exact date of your cruise?  If you're down to just those two cabins, I would choose 14333 just because the other cabin is connecting.

4 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

What is the exact date of your cruise?  If you're down to just those two cabins, I would choose 14333 just because the other cabin is connecting.

Thanks for replying. We are going on the June 25, 2022 sailing. We are not necessarily set on those 2... if anyone has any other thoughts! 

18 minutes ago, 3smithboys said:

Thanks for replying. We are going on the June 25, 2022 sailing. We are not necessarily set on those 2... if anyone has any other thoughts! 

I would choose 16261.  It's a non connecting cabin on the Lido deck.  If not, I would choose a Cove Balcony to be closer to the water.

5 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I would choose 16261.  It's a non connecting cabin on the Lido deck.  If not, I would choose a Cove Balcony to be closer to the water.

Thanks! We have only ever had a balcony one other time... never a cove balcony before either. Also never been on the Lido deck. When I suggested it to my husband, he didn’t think it was a good idea... but that is probably just our lack of experience! What is nice about staying there? I’m assuming the proximity to everything?

6 minutes ago, 3smithboys said:

Thanks! We have only ever had a balcony one other time... never a cove balcony before either. Also never been on the Lido deck. When I suggested it to my husband, he didn’t think it was a good idea... but that is probably just our lack of experience! What is nice about staying there? I’m assuming the proximity to everything?

If you're going to invest the extra money for a balcony cabin, then it should provide you with "something extra".  Two examples would be on the Lido deck because of the proximity and it's easy access to get back to your cabin to use the facilities.  A second choice would be a cove balcony just so you can be closer to the water.  A third choice would be to get an aft facing cabin, which would cost more, but give you a great view overlooking summer landing and the wake of the ship.

• Like 1

If you're going to invest the extra money for a balcony cabin, then it should provide you with "something extra".  Two examples would be on the Lido deck because of the proximity and it's easy access to get back to your cabin to use the facilities.  A second choice would be a cove balcony just so you can be closer to the water.  A third choice would be to get an aft facing cabin, which would cost more, but give you a great view overlooking summer landing and the wake of the ship.

Ok, great! Thanks for all of your thoughts! Back to discuss and need to get right on this!

We are booked on the Mardi Gras for a B2B in April 2022 and are in cabin 14356. We wanted an extended balcony, so we are on the "hump." It's not a connecting cabin and has cabins above and below us, so noise shouldn't be an issue. It is also about halfway between two banks of elevators with easy access to various areas on the ship.

• Like 1

Here is an EXCELLENT video that tries to figure out which cabins are better and which are worst on the Mardi Gras. Warning it's a LONG video but it gives great advice and insight into cabin types, locations, etc. I used this video to help me choose cabins for my two scheduled Mardi Gras cruises. 

https://youtu.be/iwchgcij5Pc

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Here is an EXCELLENT video that tries to figure out which cabins are better and which are worst on the Mardi Gras. Warning it's a LONG video but it gives great advice and insight into cabin types, locations, etc. I used this video to help me choose cabins for my two scheduled Mardi Gras cruises. 

That's the same one I watched before booking our cabin! Long, but good!

52 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

We are booked on the Mardi Gras for a B2B in April 2022 and are in cabin 14356. We wanted an extended balcony, so we are on the "hump." It's not a connecting cabin and has cabins above and below us, so noise shouldn't be an issue. It is also about halfway between two banks of elevators with easy access to various areas on the ship.

Thanks! We looked for a “hump” cabin and couldn’t find an open one... 

46 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Thanks! I will watch this! 

Stay away from a connecting room.  We made this mistake once.  You most certainly here more noise from the room next to you.  Keep your distance from elevators too - more traffic close to these and more noise.

We always try to go forward on any ship we sail on on the decks that are high enough they are "just" the front portion of the ship, and far forward.  In our experience you get much less foot traffic in this area.  Just watch what is above you (don't want to be right under the gym or camp carnival or something).

I suffer from sea sickness if things are choppy at all (I wear sea bands when I cruise and they are wonderful!).  I have never had any "more or less" issue being this high up.  It is also nice to have the view.

2 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Stay away from a connecting room.  We made this mistake once.  You most certainly here more noise from the room next to you.  Keep your distance from elevators too - more traffic close to these and more noise.

We always try to go forward on any ship we sail on on the decks that are high enough they are "just" the front portion of the ship, and far forward.  In our experience you get much less foot traffic in this area.  Just watch what is above you (don't want to be right under the gym or camp carnival or something).

I suffer from sea sickness if things are choppy at all (I wear sea bands when I cruise and they are wonderful!).  I have never had any "more or less" issue being this high up.  It is also nice to have the view.

Thanks! We usually bring our kids with us, so then a connecting room would be great! However, I don’t need to hear anyone else, and I don’t need them hearing me! When I saw that little symbol, I thought... heck no!

The deck 11 cabin is set back and it will affect your view looking forward and aft.  It's certainly not a deal breaker but just something to be aware of.  With the deck 14 cabin, the "hump" will slightly affect your view looking aft.  Again, not a deal breaker but something to be aware of.  Of those two cabins, I would take deck 14.  Based on the video, that is a green cabin so it would be the better of the two.  Hope this helps.

Do you have any interest in the Havana Pool Area.  I thought I would not, but when I booked a suite once, it included admission to the Havana pool area.  I loved it and would do it again.  I have also done aft and Lido.  Liked them both - but hands down the Havana area was best.

2 minutes ago, tarps14 said:

The deck 11 cabin is set back and it will affect your view looking forward and aft.  It's certainly not a deal breaker but just something to be aware of.  With the deck 14 cabin, the "hump" will slightly affect your view looking aft.  Again, not a deal breaker but something to be aware of.  Of those two cabins, I would take deck 14.  Based on the video, that is a green cabin so it would be the better of the two.  Hope this helps.

Thanks! Definitely helps to have someone confirm that the cabin on deck 14 is in green. I watched the video and it seemed to be in the green. That’s the one we are thinking about booking.

Definitely not taking the cabin on deck 11- it’s connecting and too close to the elevators too! We are still searching to see if any “better” cabins pop up, still within this price point or close. I asked DH about Lido and he’s concerned about noise at night, etc... 

2 minutes ago, kleibo said:

Do you have any interest in the Havana Pool Area.  I thought I would not, but when I booked a suite once, it included admission to the Havana pool area.  I loved it and would do it again.  I have also done aft and Lido.  Liked them both - but hands down the Havana area was best.

I did not price that out. What kind of a cabin did you have. I don’t think I would like one of the cabins with the porch that people walk by... but I’m open to look at it... 

22 minutes ago, 3smithboys said:

I did not price that out. What kind of a cabin did you have. I don’t think I would like one of the cabins with the porch that people walk by... but I’m open to look at it... 

Remember - not anyone can walk by your cabin - only people in the Havana area.  So it's very few.  I really don't think you can get more space - it almost doubles the size of your space.  But you can also get an aft or regular balcony in the Havana area.   I was on the Horizon and had a Grand Suite and that came with access to the Havana Area.  Just loved it.

34 minutes ago, kleibo said:

But the Havana area you did was on one of the 3 Vista Class ships.  It is a great value, but the Havana area on the 2 Excellence Class ships has been relegated to deck 8, starboard side, just forward of the atrium.  It has a small pool as well.  No hot tubs (2) like the Vista Class ships and no tiki huts to sit in the shade and keep your feet wet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kleibo said:

But you can also get an aft or regular balcony in the Havana area. 

Not on the Excellence Class ships.  There are no aft balconies since the Havana area is at the front of the ship on deck 8, with the pool on the starboard side.

But the Havana area you did was on one of the 3 Vista Class ships.  It is a great value, but the Havana area on the 2 Excellence Class ships has been relegated to deck 8, starboard side, just forward of the atrium.  It has a small pool as well.  No hot tubs (2) like the Vista Class ships and no tiki huts to sit in the shade and keep your feet wet.

Oh that's unfortunate - I haven't looked at the Excellence class ships yet.  

4 minutes ago, kleibo said:

Oh that's unfortunate - I haven't looked at the Excellence class ships yet.  

You got caught assuming that it would be the same on the Mardi Gras and the Celebration, but it's not.  The new Excel Suites that are available on the Excellence Class ships should be your cup of tea.  They come with access to the Loft 19 area, which is like the Havana area on steroids.