What do you do when you travel as far as using your phone out of the country?

fredflint

3 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

I did mean that I had Airplane Mode On not off and yes WIFI is on. 

If you get the ships free 250 minute promotion, do you do anything different. 

The steps should be the same for iPhones as they've been for our assorted Android devices, pre-pandemic as "I" do not know for sure whether NCL's satellite partner has done anything difference or made upgrade/changes to the onboard system, server and logon/logoff sequence, etc.  

The key steps are to switch off the "radios" including WiFi by putting the device into airplane mode first, then, turn back on WiFi only and connect to the ship's signal (SSiD) which remained on while docked and/or tendering at non-US ports (as explained by others too) and make sure cellular is off, especially for "roaming" purposes (i.e. VZW or AT&T signals to no longer be on their "home" signals).  To access and use those free 100, 250 or whatever xxx airtime minutes, one must setup an onboard account, and log-in or log-out each and every time to start & stop the meter counts - or else, those MB data allowance and minutes will run down very quickly.  It is (was) fine to stay connected to the ship's WiFi signal onboard as the NCL "app" will function and display information, such as charges posted to the stateroom, allow for making dining reservations and looking up deck plans, activities & events for the day, etc. at no charge.  Those do not use up or deplete airtime minutes as it is using inTRAnet data and not inTERnet data.  Assuming that NCL will follow Royal's eMuster protocol, the smartphone could become one of the devices used for all stateroom guests to register, participate and get acknowledged for attending & completing the mandatory safety drills - whew, that's going to be a huge relief to not stand shoulder-to-shoulder in that atrium lobby or theater for that 15-20 minutes of presentation about "what to do ... when you hear the ..." and then, the dismissal and return to sailaway activities.  

On 7/3/2021 at 1:44 PM, tallnthensome said:

What does this have to do with Norweigian Cruise Line? 

I think a very interesting topic as I was wondering the same thing now that we can finally start traveling again.