Oosterdam "pros"... shower/tub question

herb

Well, my darling mother (83) decided that she'll join DW and I next January on our Oosterdam cruise.

She's not wheelchair bound but walks slowly due to 2 hip replacements and arthritis. At home she has a shower stall. She cannot step into a tub in order to take a shower.

I noticed that most cabins on the Oosterdam have bathtubs. (actually I was surprised at how many cabins have a tub... I would have thought with an elderly following showers would be a safer bet) ANYHOW.... my question is this.

The cabins that have a bathtub; is there a shower stall AS WELL, or do you need to climb into the tub in order to take a shower.

Need to know this in order to decide what type of cabin she needs. She would like an oceanview of some sort.

Thanks..... :)

ANYHOW.... my question is this.

The cabins that have a bathtub; is there a shower stall AS WELL, or do you need to climb into the tub in order to take a shower.

Need to know this in order to decide what type of cabin she needs. She would like an oceanview of some sort.

Thanks..... :)

Hi Herb - You DO need to climb into the tub in order to take the shower, so it sounds like a HC room would be in order for her. I think it is wonderful she is going to join you on the cruise :).

Marie

Hi Herb - You DO need to climb into the tub in order to take the shower, so it sounds like a HC room would be in order for her. I think it is wonderful she is going to join you on the cruise :).

Marie

Hi Marie, thanks for your quick reply. Now I need to check the deckplans whether any oceanviews are designated as Handicapped. ( I feel a bit bad ordering her a handicapped cabin; actually she gets around with a walker or cane... she's not in a wheelchair!)

being in a wheelchair is not the ONLY classification for qualifying for a HC room, imo. It sounds like she has mobility issues, thus qualifying for the HC room. Also, it is a safety issue due to her limitations. Don't feel bad. I am sure the HAL reps would agree that a HC room is what is best for her, and really the only way she is able to cruise.

Marie

There are some rooms with just a shower. Look on the deck plans for the symbol. The ones I can see are towards the aft. We are going on the Zuiderdam in Dec and have two rooms booked, one has a shower only. they do seem to be oceanview and balcony, that's what ours is. good luck

There are some rooms with just a shower. Look on the deck plans for the symbol. The ones I can see are towards the aft. We are going on the Zuiderdam in Dec and have two rooms booked, one has a shower only. they do seem to be oceanview and balcony, that's what ours is. good luck

WOW! I never knew this. This is great information :).

Marie

I didn't either until I was looking for rooms next to each other. We are going with my Mom and Stepdad, thier first cruise ever, and noticed the symbol. Supposedly there is no difference in the cabin size. We were just happy to get them a balcony for thier first cruise.

I don't know why they only have a shower, or how big the shower is.

I don't always cruise in one(have only had 2) but they certainly enhance the cruise. I love sitting out there in the morning having breakfast, and again in the evening having an appetizer(I typically order the cheese plate) and cocktail before going to the dining room or at about 3pm in the afternoon.

Marie

My mother is in a similar situation. There are, as I remember, suites with both shower and tub, but she, being economical, booked an inside cabin for us on Deck 1 on the Westerdam last month - it has a shower only, and she specifically requested, through her TA, that her room not be upgraded. Sure enough, when we boarded we found we'd received an 8-category upgrade to an outside cabin with a tub. (She's a Mariner.) The ship was sold out, so a downgrade back to an inside cabin was impossible...fortunately, she was able to negotiate stepping in and out of the tub. And the view was nice. But if mobility is an issue and an HC room is unavailable, be aware that your shower plans can go awry.

We were on the Oosterdam in November and had a room with both a shower stall AND a bathtub. We finally gave up on the shower stall though as it was so tiny you could hardly move in it. And if you dropped anything in there forget it you'd bump your head trying to pick it up! But loved the room other than that.

Done deal, I booked my mother in cabin 1063 on Main Deck :D

It's an inside, but I'm hoping I followed the threads correctly and it's a "larger than usual" inside cabin. The extra $$ saved -approx. $300- by not opting for an "oceanview w/ shower only" she'll use towards her airfare from NYC to San Diego.

Thanks all for your input. :)

Archived