Cruise Critic News: Live from Viking Sky in Iceland: What Is It Like Onboard?

LauraS

• Administrators

(2:25 p.m. EDT) My husband and I were setting out to explore pretty little Isafjordur, which like so many other towns on Iceland’s coast has the close-by trifecta of mountains, snow, and waterfalls. But first we had to spit in test tubes. We had arrived in town onboard Viking's Viking Sky, along with some 760 fellow passengers, everyone onboard ...

View the full article

• Like 5

I am confused by two items in her article. She says at the airport she was required to show "vaccine cards and a printout of the bar code". Does this mean you cannot show the code from your phone? A physical printed paper is necessary?

Also she seems to imply the only place to check in for the cruise is the Harpa Hall. We are arriving a few days early for independent touring and have booked a transfer directly to the ship. Should we change that to the Harpa?

1 hour ago, NanciEA said:

I am confused by two items in her article. She says at the airport she was required to show "vaccine cards and a printout of the bar code". Does this mean you cannot show the code from your phone? A physical printed paper is necessary?

Also she seems to imply the only place to check in for the cruise is the Harpa Hall. We are arriving a few days early for independent touring and have booked a transfer directly to the ship. Should we change that to the Harpa?

I can’t respond to your first question as I had both paper and digital copies of everything and used the paper ones. 

We checked in at the ship after going to Blue Lagoon. The port has a semi permanent tent set up where they do a temp check, give you your key card and contact tracer and take your credit card if you didn’t enter it already. For some reason they had to retake one of the three of us’ picture. It was maybe 10 minutes for the three of us traveling together and then we went immediately aboard. We got to the port between 12:15 and 12:30, but it’s my understanding that others checked in as early as 10:30 even though Viking’s information we received said check in started at 11. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Regarding the bar code for Iceland: People have reported that you CAN show the barcode on your phone.  However, Iceland would prefer that you print a copy to keep things moving quickly.  But you should print the whole document, not just the barcode!  

We just showed the barcode when we arrived June 14 (printed copy so no fumbling with phone reception).

21 hours ago, NanciEA said:

We also are arriving early. If you find any information we should know about (like check-in) please share and I will do the same.   We plan on taking the Golden Circle tour (small group) on our own prior to our cruise.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:05 AM, NanciEA said:

I emailed Viking Support whether we should go to Harpa or to the port.  We were advised to go directly to the port.