MSC vs RCL or NCL or ? on Mediterean cruises

glentally

Slowly starting to plan Mediterean cruise in 2022. Why are MSC so much less than others.  I am traveling solo so the lower price will help since I have to double my costs but I don't want to regret going less expensive.

• Like 1

I noticed the same and my wife and I ended up booking a 14 night out of Marseille in Oct 22 with MSC. I guess we'll see how it plays out, as with most things I am fairly confident our experience will be whatever we make of it. Best of luck in your search!

I have done MSC out of Venice and went to Barre, Greece, Dubrovnik, Albania and it was a great cruise all around.

I can only compare to Royal and Carnival in the Caribbean, MSC seemed to be a bit higher end all around but not stuffy people, very European crowd, announcements take forever to be made due to being repeated in multiple languages.
Have always had a great time on any cruise, you get out of it what you put into it, if you go looking to have a great time then you will, never tried Norwegian.

When I look at booking a cruise, if its a primary vacation, I look for itinerary, cost and research the ship to make sure its got what I am looking for.
If its just a getaway cruise like the one coming up in November on MSC, it was price, ship and destination doesn't matter to us at all.

Only drawback for me on MSC is that they are only fixed time dining, much prefer anytime dining.

5 hours ago, glentally said:

Slowly starting to plan Mediterean cruise in 2022. Why are MSC so much less than others.  I am traveling solo so the lower price will help since I have to double my costs but I don't want to regret going less expensive.

I viewed a lot of videos of reviews of MSC on YouTube, where you can find a lot of info. MSC is different as you not only pick a cabin type(interior, Oceanview, balcony, suite, YC, etc) , but you also book in combo an ‘experience’ being Bella, Fantastica, Aurea? Each experience has its set of amenities, such as included room service charges, spa access,  drink package, etc. along with an associated additional cost/price. Bella experience is their ‘basic’ fare experience and usually has no additional cost.

Most videos I have seem, comment the buffets have a lot less variety than CCL, RCCL, NCL. Dinner in MDR is preferred so dinner buffet selection is even more limited. 

Current sailings because of covid and reduced capacity, have read dinner is open/anytime on some ships, who knows what it will be like Summer 2022.

• Like 1

It has been mostly said by the previous posters. Let me just to underline that MSC is very international in nature. That said, lots of nationalities aboard, more visual like shows on the theater, longer announcements when appropriate, and such a more reserved way of service providing. Yes, on the US they're far less than the competitors, here in Europe not so much these days... Have a nice day and nice sailings!...

MSC is offering some killer deals, so there are a bunch of us in your boat. I’ve never sailed MSC, but the price can’t be ignored. 

But I’ve watched enough YouTube videos to feel like I’ve been on a cruise. Ships look great to me. The Med ports are where I want to go. I’m really excited. 

If you do start reading reviews or watching videos, note when they we’re made. Some of the problems from the older videos have been worked out. 

From what I’ve seen, the biggest downside is the food. It doesn’t look bad, just not blow you away great. But certainly good enough. The other two complaints that come up are (1) the shows are geared to a multinational crowd; some people prefer more story-driven entertainment and (2) the crew has a European this-is-my-job attitude rather than the American-style act like your best friend demeanor. 

Edited by zekekelso

I have done a few cruises with Msc and one with royal Caribbean. I went back to Msc! I found the food better, as its an Italian cruise line the pizza and pasta are great but if you like deep pan American pizza not so good! I have never found any food I disliked on there. I have always found the staff very accommodating and friendly and find msc a lot more relaxing and less structured. the shows tend to be more acrobatic or singing so as to avoid spending hours explaining in 4-5 different languages. I suppose a cruise is each to their own. For me as long as I get fed and watered, can be relaxed and I can get to see the places I want to see that's all that matters! 

• Like 1