Mobility scooter

drfrog

This is my 1st cruise using a scooter. What do people do about excursions? We are on the Norwegian Jade doing the Greek Islands in Sept. When I spoke to the excursion department, I was told the excursion details must have a wheelchair symbol.  None of the offered excursions have them. Should we do private excursions? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, drfrog said:

This is my 1st cruise using a scooter. What do people do about excursions? We are on the Norwegian Jade doing the Greek Islands in Sept. When I spoke to the excursion department, I was told the excursion details must have a wheelchair symbol.  None of the offered excursions have them. Should we do private excursions? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

We travel with my husband's scooter 100% of the time.  There are often no available excursions from the cruise line. 😞  Once or twice we found a cruise that would let us put Bob's scooter under the bus in the storage compartment as long as he could climb the 4 steps up to the seating area.  We have been fortunate to book private excursions sometimes.  But I am afraid I don't know if that option is available to do now in Europe.  

I did this cruise a couple of years ago using my travelscoot, it is very light, and after a discussion with the excursions team on board and their seeing the scooter in person there was no trouble going ashore with it including at anchor ports. We did do excursions as well, the excursions people checked which ones were ok, and there was never an issue once on the excursions. Additionally, there was someone on board in a very large supportive chair and they did excursions and also went in the tender at one of the anchor ports. The chair was undoubtedly heavier than my scooter. It was a great cruise. The shore excursion people on the phone before the cruise said I wouldn’t be able to take the scooter on excursions or on tenders but this was not the case at all. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 11:16 AM, drfrog said:

We use a Tzora travel scooter for my wife and always carry an extra battery with us.  We never take ship excursions. We always preplan each port, map it out, and make sure we have plans that are doable.  The scooter folds up, and we take taxi's when needed.  Often times we go on exactly the same excursion as the ship, but on our own, and for less money, and less hassles.  We go at her pace.  

If you plan on going on many cruises and trips, invest in a travel scooter.  Not as comfortable, but they are easier to handle.  

On 7/18/2021 at 9:39 AM, ozscotart said:

I did this cruise a couple of years ago using my travelscoot, it is very light, and after a discussion with the excursions team on board and their seeing the scooter in person there was no trouble going ashore with it including at anchor ports. We did do excursions as well, the excursions people checked which ones were ok, and there was never an issue once on the excursions. Additionally, there was someone on board in a very large supportive chair and they did excursions and also went in the tender at one of the anchor ports. The chair was undoubtedly heavier than my scooter. It was a great cruise. The shore excursion people on the phone before the cruise said I wouldn’t be able to take the scooter on excursions or on tenders but this was not the case at all. 

I also have a Travelscoot and have not had any problems with taking my scooter on excursions.   It does fold up and bus drivers were always helpful in putting it underneath in the storage area or my husband would do it.   Not sure now with Covid restrictions if it will be the same.   Hope it's fine.

It would be helpful if you listed your ports. I have taken both a wheelchair and my scooter on many excursions in the Med. I always research the ports before I book. Most ships won’t allow you ashore if it is a tender port.

Many ports are not allowing cruise passengers ashore unless they have booked a ships excursion. As long as you can manage the coach steps 5he scooter will fit in the coach boot.

some Greek islands are not disabled friendly at all.