Tarquinia from Civitavecchia precruise?

hun

Does anyone have recent experience visiting Tarquinia either directly from Civitavecchia or on the way from FCO arrival to Civitavecchia hotel without their own car? We’ll be staying in Civitavecchia the night before our May 2022 cruise and would like to explore Tarquinia for a few hours. We haven’t yet arranged independent transport from FCO to the hotel, and wondered if this might be an option, or if there are any options for us to make our way there ourselves by train, or whether to try to arrange a ride from Civitavecchia? We’ve visited Rome in the past and I lived in Rome, so for this cruise we’ll be just staying in Civitavecchia one night before the cruise. 
Thank you! 
Elisa 

There is a local bus that you can take from Civitavecchia to and from Tarquinia, in around half an hour.    We really enjoyed the excellent Etruscan museum and seeing the necropolis.   You buy bus tickets at the tobacco shops,  I’m sure your hotel can advise you of the bus stop location.  

Alternatively, Stefano’s Rome cabs provides transportation tours.  They are an excellent company to deal with and we visited  a castle on Lake Bracciano and Cerveteri,  another Etruscan site.   We enjoyed both but the museum is definitely worthwhile!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

While there is a train station called Tarquinia it is down in the valley while the town, ruins and museum are up on the hill, too far (3.2 km/2 miles) and too steep for most people to walk.

The more direct public transit option is, as noted above, by bus.   The trip takes 25-30 minutes on one bus and costs just 1,30 euro.

The stop closest to the port entrance (the one where you get the free bus to/from your ship) is on Via XVI Settembre, near the intersection of Via Cadorna.  If you make a google map of the address 19 Via XVI Settembre Civitavecchia and go to street view you'll see the yellow bus stop sign (Fermata).

The stop in Tarquinia is Barriera San Giusto, from there to the museum is about 200' (one short block).

Bus schedule info here (difficult website, sorry about that):  Orari (cotralspa.it)

Thanks!   Quick follow up question - about how long would you expect we should plan on for exploring the necropolis area?  Should we also plan on the museum? (We know we’ll be jet lagged ) Stefano Rome Cabs said they can arrange for us to visit on our way to Civitavecchia after the airport pickup - the Tarquinia necropolis stop would be at a per hour charge and asked for a time estimate.  Thanks again! 

3 hours ago, hun said:

Thanks!   Quick follow up question - about how long would you expect we should plan on for exploring the necropolis area?  Should we also plan on the museum? (We know we’ll be jet lagged ) Stefano Rome Cabs said they can arrange for us to visit on our way to Civitavecchia after the airport pickup - the Tarquinia necropolis stop would be at a per hour charge and asked for a time estimate.  Thanks again! 

I think the museum is the must see because of the amazing sarcophagus,   Not sure of the plural😉.    They really have to be seen!  They are sitting up like they’re at a cocktail party!   Even an hour would be good for a quick visit.  

The tombs are mostly empty and a few blocks up from the museum,  I think there is a joint ticket.   So two hours would likely cover both and they could take you first to the museum and then drive you to the tombs if you still had the energy.   IMO they are interesting but not as much as the museum.

You may also see a Roman aqueduct on the way to Tarquinia IIRC.   
Enjoy! 

I would weigh in for both the necropolis AND the museum. A few years ago only a few of the tombs at the necropolis were open at any given time; now (or at least when I was there about 3 years ago), the majority are open, due to a new system of protection and glass barriers that better shield the frescoes.

The Etruscan wall paintings are TOTALLY outstanding and really without equal anywhere. Unlike bennybear, I would vote more time in the necropolis to see them. At least 90 minutes to 2 hours. An hour in the museum would be enough. There are (I think) two of the painted tombs that have been moved to the museum, but IMO you do not get the full experience without seeing them in the necropolis. The "showstopper" for me in the museum is the famous Etruscan sculpture of winged horses.

This link gives good information about the necropolis:   http://www.travelingintuscany.com/art/art/tarquinianecropolises.htm

An itinerary for visiting the museum:   

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/national-etruscan-museum-tarquinia

The monumental horses:

image.png.d071b41c0f155963f5444a5d67a9f8ea.png 

• Like 1

Thank you also Cruisemom42! We’ll definitely plan to go to both! I also actually just read someone’s precruise suggestion to stay in Tarquinia itself the night before (Palazzo Castellano) instead of Civitavecchia so I’ll look into that idea as well. Thanks!

58 minutes ago, hun said:

Thank you also Cruisemom42! We’ll definitely plan to go to both! I also actually just read someone’s precruise suggestion to stay in Tarquinia itself the night before (Palazzo Castellano) instead of Civitavecchia so I’ll look into that idea as well. Thanks!

I saw that too and think it is an excellent idea, given the "uncharming" options in Civitavecchia.

• Like 1

We enjoy staying up to about an hour away from Civitavecchia,  we’ve stayed twice in Viterbo,  an interesting town,  highly recommend visiting the villa Farnese and villa Lante.  

As we usually rent a car it is quite easy to do.   If you are wanting transport from Tarquinia perhaps enquire at the hotel if there are taxis available.  The bus from Tarquinia would work in reverse,  depends on how much luggage?