Covid Test Required for All Iceland Visitors Starting July 26

jtwind

I believe Viking took the rules for UNVACCINATED which can only be a PCR test.  Since we are all Vaccinated - per the Iceland Ministry of Health:  

"all vaccinated persons and those that can present a certificate of a prior COVID-19 infection must present a negative PCR or antigen (rapid) test that is no more than 72 hours old before departure to Iceland. This decision by the Minister of Health is based on recommendations from the Chief Epidemiologist."

• Like 1

We went to Maui last winter and they had the 72 hour rule.  The thing you have to be careful of is 72 FROM when you did the test, not when you get results back.  We ended up going to the Carbon Health tent in Seattle and got results back in an hour.  It sounds like Iceland is more lax on who does the test.  Hawaii it had to be a trusted partner.  Will go to Walgreens if that works out.

The one issue we had is getting a hard copy that we needed.  Not many printers in the Seattle airport.  We went to the Alaskan airline lounge and they printed it off for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wander58 said:

I believe Viking took the rules for UNVACCINATED which can only be a PCR test.  Since we are all Vaccinated - per the Iceland Ministry of Health:  

"all vaccinated persons and those that can present a certificate of a prior COVID-19 infection must present a negative PCR or antigen (rapid) test that is no more than 72 hours old before departure to Iceland. This decision by the Minister of Health is based on recommendations from the Chief Epidemiologist."

Viking wants us to take a PCR test.  On the "big" Iceland's Natural Beauty 2022 thread, near the end (at least the end as of today!!), someone provided a link to the actual "Important Information About Your Cruise" document Viking sends people who are cruising soon.  They've outlined things pretty clearly. 

13 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

In the post I mentioned above (which despite the title is NOT just for 2022 cruisers), see post #2720.

The turnaround time for PCR may not be as bad as you think.  I've found numerous options for getting 1 to 2 day turnaround, and testing places that are open on weekends. 

After spending about 3 hours online googling I found a place near me that does Rapid PCR testing with results in 30 minutes. Made an appointment for the Friday evening before my flight on Monday

• Like 1

No doubt we will all do what we think is best.

I am sticking by what the Icelandic website says and the slightly confusing communication received from Viking UK that despite what it says in the section title and summary, it does say an Antigen test is acceptable for vaccinated passengers. 

So it’s an antigen test for me and not a PCR test. 

I am confident that British Airways who are flying me and Icelandic Border officials who will check all my paperwork on arrival will be fine with a negative antigen test and a vaccination certificate. I will have a PCR test on arrival at the ship and then head straight to the Explorers Bar for a large G&T, followed by perhaps an IPA. I will be tempted to say charge them to Viking for the stress they are causing! 

Edited by NeilP57
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Neil.

Same situation as you - and same decision made especially in view of limited time over a weekend as we are staying overnight at LHR prior to early am departure to Iceland on 27th. Whilst I accept that current rules are changing fast, I am at a loss as to why Viking admin communicate so poorly. I had to email Viking U.K. early on Monday am to give them the “Heads up” of the latest testing requirements for arriving quests, it took them until late Tuesday pm to even understand/accept these changes. When I explained the implications for those quests departing for the Jupiter 27th embarkation most of whom had zero idea of this change, I think the penny dropped………..I even had a phone call from them this morning when again I explained the ambiguity of the latest Viking communication.

Hence we appear to have both reached the same conclusion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShropshireCritic said:

Hence we appear to have both reached the same conclusion.

I genuinely believe we have applied ourselves more to this issue than Viking have, and I am not sure we are getting much acknowledgement from Viking of the grief they have caused.

If I add this to the fiasco we had when they overcharged us by over £1000 when we booked our excursions because somebody  couldn't convert dollars in pounds correctly. I do think they should comp' us the drinks package. 

Maybe that will be my challenge for next week before I depart on the 31/7.

It will be interesting to see how many UK customers have stayed the course to travel on these cruise at this time. It certainly takes some will power and perseverance.

Perhaps you could post a couple of comments on the live thread on how you get on next week.

• Haha 1

I just received a call from Piper at Viking. (As well as an email from them regarding the remaining steps, including the COVID PCR test. I have a feeling right now there are some surprised passengers for the 7/27 cruise.) I specifically asked her if there would be any issues with Viking when guests arrive having had the antigen test and not the PCR test. She said that was not a Viking requirement per se, just that the requirements are changing so frequently that Viking wants to ensure that everyone is covered. She agreed that if the airline accepts the antigen test, and we know Iceland does because she went to their website and verified it, there would not be any issues with Viking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Steve NH said:

I just received a call from Piper at Viking. (As well as an email from them regarding the remaining steps, including the COVID PCR test. I have a feeling right now there are some surprised passengers for the 7/27 cruise.) I specifically asked her if there would be any issues with Viking when guests arrive having had the antigen test and not the PCR test. She said that was not a Viking requirement per se, just that the requirements are changing so frequently that Viking wants to ensure that everyone is covered. She agreed that if the airline accepts the antigen test, and we know Iceland does because she went to their website and verified it, there would not be any issues with Viking.

I think you (and Piper) hit the nail on the head. Viking doesn't care about PCR vs rapid.  The government web site clearly states rapid (antigen) OR PCR is OK for vaccinated.  I have some concerns that some person at the IcelandAir gate will not know this and be a hindrance, but the rapid test is so much easier to schedule. The situation is very fluid and nobody is exactly certain, so they want to cover all bases (and behinds) and advising the PRC covers all behinds better.  I expect it will be nailed down soon, so those of us flying in a couple weeks should be OK. But I hear a G+T calling me from Explorers Lounge too.

• Like 1

A question for UK passengers on their way to Iceland.

Whilst we were all distracted with the question whether an Antigen test was acceptable to Viking and/or Iceland earlier this week, Viking added another requirement onto their document which sets out all the steps before arriving into Iceland.

Not only do they state we need a valid passport (with 6 months unexpired term after we return) but they have also said they require us to have a "valid residency visa"

Does anybody from the UK know what this may be or have asked Viking this question?

I have the normal UK passport but nothing additional to this having been born in the UK and always lived in the UK, in 61 years I have never had to provide a "valid residency visa"

Perhaps it may have something to do with those who have settled status in the UK following Brexit but this is only a guess. 

Any thoughts?

On 7/22/2021 at 9:20 PM, NeilP57 said:

No doubt we will all do what we think is best.

I am sticking by what the Icelandic website says and the slightly confusing communication received from Viking UK that despite what it says in the section title and summary, it does say an Antigen test is acceptable for vaccinated passengers. 

So it’s an antigen test for me and not a PCR test. 

I am confident that British Airways who are flying me and Icelandic Border officials who will check all my paperwork on arrival will be fine with a negative antigen test and a vaccination certificate. I will have a PCR test on arrival at the ship and then head straight to the Explorers Bar for a large G&T, followed by perhaps an IPA. I will be tempted to say charge them to Viking for the stress they are causing! 

Hi Neil.  Please tell us on here how you , as a UK traveller, and our neighbour (!), get on when you make your journey to Iceland.    I would be so grateful. We have the Icelandic website as you do and it is a bit different from the of the one for the US passengers.   Also I would love to know all about the cruise from your point of view.  Many thanks..

12 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

A question for UK passengers on their way to Iceland.

Whilst we were all distracted with the question whether an Antigen test was acceptable to Viking and/or Iceland earlier this week, Viking added another requirement onto their document which sets out all the steps before arriving into Iceland.

Not only do they state we need a valid passport (with 6 months unexpired term after we return) but they have also said they require us to have a "valid residency visa"

Does anybody from the UK know what this may be or have asked Viking this question?

I have the normal UK passport but nothing additional to this having been born in the UK and always lived in the UK, in 61 years I have never had to provide a "valid residency visa"

Perhaps it may have something to do with those who have settled status in the UK following Brexit but this is only a guess. 

Any thoughts?

A "valid residency visa" is a form Viking provides on line on MVJ my husband tells me Neil. J

1 hour ago, Jay23 said:

Hi Neil.  Please tell us on here how you , as a UK traveller, and our neighbour (!), get on when you make your journey to Iceland.    I would be so grateful. We have the Icelandic website as you do and it is a bit different from the of the one for the US passengers.   Also I would love to know all about the cruise from your point of view.  Many thanks..

Hi Neighbour

Indeed I will. Although I will likely post comments on either the General thread or the Live thread as appropriate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jay23 said:

A "valid residency visa" is a form Viking provides on line on MVJ my husband tells me Neil. J

I have scoured MVJ for any mention of this form but alas to no success.

I will rely on my British Passport which says I have the right of abode in the UK.

1 minute ago, NeilP57 said:

I have scoured MVJ for any mention of this form but alas to no success.

I will rely on my British Passport which says I have the right of abode in the UK.

This is what my husband is saying:  ....... MVJ page.  . ..." Before you go.........  Information for your cruise ......  Iceland document check list......Passport .....includes Pre Registration form with bar code which you have to complete  within  5 days before you go."  We are not able to complete it yet as we don't go till September 7th. However now he can't find it!   He suggests you phone Viking .  They are open now .  They are always helpful.  Maybe this is one of the things they don't want any more.   Grrrr...

Thanks for trying. 

I will probably resist phoning Viking as I will end up saying Grrrr myself after the call. Sometimes they will talk to me, other times they say I need to call my TA who will ask them the same question but with less understanding. 

I am going to rely on my passport as prove of residency. Unless somebody else points out the form I need to complete or the certificate I need to provide. 

I will update those of you following whether all this works ( or not!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Thanks for trying. 

I will probably resist phoning Viking as I will end up saying Grrrr myself after the call. Sometimes they will talk to me, other times they say I need to call my TA who will ask them the same question but with less understanding. 

I am going to rely on my passport as prove of residency. Unless somebody else points out the form I need to complete or the certificate I need to provide. 

I will update those of you following whether all this works ( or not!)

Good on you.  J

• Like 1

For those fully-vaccinated and flying United to Reykjavik, the United Travel-Ready Center page was just revised and now indicates both PCR and antigen tests are acceptable.  See quote,  below:

“All passengers who present a certificate of full vaccination or previous infection are required to hold either a negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test taken prior to departure.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1