Cheap Transportation on St. Thomas

Brianinidaho

Is it possible to get to Megan's Bay on the public bus?

thanks for any help. leaving Saturday on the Glory?

I am 99% sure the answer is yes. Be sure to ask the bus driver or other passengers ....they are all so friendly and helpful.

If not, go to red hook or hilltop and from there take a much cheaper taxi to megans bay...

but I think the bus makes the loop. Save you a bundle also.

Neither Vitran, the public bus, or the $ rides go anywhere near Magens Bay. You have to have a cab or private transportation to go to Magens. It will cost about the same from Red Hook or anywhere else the buses go, take a cab from the dock and just enjoy your vacation.:)

B.

Linda, the dollar ride's and public bus' east end route does pass by Sapphire's entrance road. You have to get off on the main road and walk down the entrance road to the resort/beach. Its a short walk, steep at the first part and then flat. If you are docked at Havensight then you'd head past Wendy's and would have to go past K-mart to the bus stop area in front of the Hospital entrance/parking area as there is currently road work being done on the road by Kmart so it is one-way. On the return you'd have to walk back to where you were dropped on the main road by Sapphire's entrance and wait there.

--Islander

Thanks

Approximately how long is the cab ride from Red Hook Harbor back to the Carnival dock? Trying to plan out my excusion and time is of the essence.

Thanks.

Brian

It is about 20- 30 minutes if I recall correctly. Both the dollar bus and the expensive taxis take almost the same time because they take the same route.

When the ferry docks... the tourists go to the left to the expensive taxis waiting... and the locals go to the right to the dollar bus or wait by the road for such. Take your pick, which ever works for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The Vitran bus looks like a city bus. The $ bus which is really the 2$ bus looks like a truck with bench seats in the back in rows. The Vitran bus goes to Red Hook but takes forever and you are better off with the $bus in my opinion. Actually I would just take a cab, but then it's only me.:D

B.

• 2 months later...

A good part of this post is pretty accurate. Ive been to St Thomas many times, its my fav port and I feel very comfortable there. With that said, local safaris buses are to be taken with caution. Each of us is a different traveler, we come from very rural citys with little exsposure to large metropolitan citys. Some of us have traveled outside the country while others have never left a 10 mile radius of there community.

I clasify myself as a fairly open minded adventurous type when I vacation so Im usually eager to find the "backroads" per say. I love the locals and the culture and that is what I want to see. However, I want to do it as safely as possible and I like others like a good bargain. Time in port when you start xing by 4,5,6 etc gets very expensive.. So here is my take on this...2yrs ago I decided I wanted to go to Saphire Beach with my family so I got on these boards, gathered my info and was prepared. Well so I thought...turns out my family wanted to go into town and not to the beach and I would be going this adventure alone. I was up for the challenge. I followed the directions leaving the port, turning left as to head to town then a right at the major intersection and walking towards the K-Mart. Its not a bad walk but its is up the road a bit. I quickly realized I was going to need to ask for assistance as the stops did not appear to be marked by the standards we would see in the US. No prob I got to the stop. Safaris came shortly after and I boarded saying goodbye to my family. Yep I had a few jitters but was pretty excited about my day at the beach. I told the driver that I would like to stop at Saphire but wasnt totally convinced he really heard me or cared. I sat fairly close to him as to remind him. Off we went at full speed ahead...I mean full speed. And yes they stop on a dime to pick anyone standing on the road. Bus trip there had very few folks on it, a young gal next to me had heard me say I was going to Saphire and she said get off when I do as I work there. Thank goodness for the advice as the beach is not marked. You get off at a gravel road and walk a bit to what looks like a condo community that faces the ocean. You have to walk thru it to the beach, but when you get there you will know as the blue ocean is beaming. It is a clean avg size beach with beautiful views. water was pretty avg, there was some wave action but not hard waves. I did not rent a chair but folks had them. There was a small store that had drinks/snacks and it seem like I saw people with food. There was a restroom and a hose to get the sand off. Snorkeling on my day was not to exciting but I did not swim out to far. I did see some fish and enjoyed just lying on the water watching them swim around. Iguanas...yep they have them and they are huge so be prepared.

I stayed for several hrs then rinsed off and headed back up the road. I stood on the opp side of the road for about 10 mins and caught the safaris. If I recall it was prob about 4, our ship left at 6. This ride was much different as it was rush hr and folks were coming from work/school.

The safaris filled very quick with alot of local men who often boarded in groups so as a single female I was a bit on edge but never did I feel unsafe just very alert to who was around me. The locals jump on and off like crazy and I mean jump. As noted the stop really is kindof a slow down not a real stop. However when I got off the driver came to a complete stop and was very friendly. Its clear who is local and who is tourist so I felt like I was looked after. Overall I found my day to be very enjoyable but you have to be a bit patient with the process as stops are not marked, ride is a bit like fast and furious but overall the beach is awesome and worth the $4 round trip. Who goes to St Thomas and only spends $4!

My husband was very happy to hand it to me as compared to our 2 prev trips where I bought tanzanite jewelry, he would much rather send me to the beach than to town! Hope this helps..to travel with the locals you must plan accordingly or your in for a very dissapointing day.

Thinking about trying to do both Coki and Sapphire beaches. Which stop is first on the $2 bus route (from the K-Mart near Havensight)? It sounds like the bus route runs in a circle so we would want to plan to get off at the first one encountered so we could then go to the next one without going most of the way around the circle again. Then after visiting the second beach we could complete the circle back to the K-Mart.Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

okay- not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but here goes:

If I understood the directions correctly, I can take the west end $1-2 in front of wendy's to go to town or to emerald beach

How far is town from emerald beach. If I get to one location, could I walk to the other.

Am I correct about the $1-2 local bus/safari

• 1 year later...

We will walk to Kmart to catch the safari bus. Do I face Kmart or is it to my back or just a bit confused on where to be. Across street or same side as Kmart???? This thread is a bit old but gave great advice. When I return in October I will post some pictures to help others. That is---if I make it there Ok! LOL.

Thanks for everyones advice.

Going to Redhook, Coki Beach, or Saphire Beach:

When you exit Havensight Port walk toward town until you see the traffic light in the 3way intersection.

Wendy's is on the Port side of the street, across from that you will see Pueblo grocery, and across from that (cattycorner to Wendy's) you will see the new "Giant Gas Station." It is the street that the Gas station and Pueblos are on that goes uphill to the Kmart. This is where you catch the van going to Redhook, Coki, or Saphire.

Cross the street, walk a little further up from the gas station, stand with your back to the gas station and face Pueblo across the street in front of you,

you can then flag down the open-air Safari Wagon that will be coming from your right (note these are the van/trucks that do NOT say "TAXI" on their roof and they are not the excursion vans from the port.)

Keep in mind when trying to figure out where to stand that they drive on the left side of the road. So standing on the gas station side of the street is the same side that the van is going up to Kmart; if you end up walking up to Kmart, you will still stand on that side of the street, with your back to the store and hail the van coming from your right. Fare is $2 one way. Having single $'s will make it easier.

Thanks for all of your help. I'll post back after our October cruise. I hope all goes well for us. I will give ourself lots of time to return to the ship. Do you feel 1 1/2 hous in enough time to return. In port from 10-4. Hope to get off ship and to beach by 11:30. Return to port from beach around 2pm. Not much time at the beach but.... it will have to do. If need be-we will grab a taxi back to port for the $10 pp trip.

Thanks again.

Relax and enjoy life.

Hey Brian,

Just read through the entire post. Thanks for starting the thread many years ago.

We will dock at Crown Bay. We have 6 adults and one 3 yr old. We just want to swim, float etc. no snorkeling this trip. My husband and I rented motorcycles last time we were in St Thomas and snorkeled at a few beaches in St John. But this time with the kid we won't do the motorcycles.

Seeing that our kids haven been to St Thomas before would you suggest Sapphire or Emerald. Emerald would be easier since it's so close. But don't want them to miss out if Sapphire is beautiful.

We might try catching the buss. How far of walk to the nearest stop?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks Trish

Trish, if you're docking at Crown Bay with a little one, you should go to Emerald Beach. There's a playground with swings, slides, etc to the right of where the taxis drop you off, so your little one might make some friends. Many of the locals also bring their little ones to Emerald Beach/Lindberg Bay because it's usually calmer than Sapphire.

Trish, if you're docking at Crown Bay with a little one, you should go to Emerald Beach. There's a playground with swings, slides, etc to the right of where the taxis drop you off, so your little one might make some friends. Many of the locals also bring their little ones to Emerald Beach/Lindberg Bay because it's usually calmer than Sapphire.

Thanks so much. That is what I was leaning toward and even better, thanks for the advice.

Trish

Thanks so much. That is what I was leaning toward and even better, thanks for the advice.

Trish

Took the Safari Bus to Sapphire Beach a couple of weeks ago. Picked it up by the Wendy's and it was 2 dollars for each of us. We did make a couple of stops but it really did not take much longer than the taxi which I had taken before.

When we got off the ship we were mobbed with taxi drivers and when I asked them where the Safari bus was they were none too happy to hear the question. Some laughed at me and said there was no such thing. Others grudgingly pointed. I can't blame them I guess. But they want way to much to take three people there and back.

We just kept on walking past them and found the stop eventually it really did not take very long to find and it saved a ton of money we had plenty of time at the beach and what we saved on the cab fare for three paid for all or our snorkel rentals and then some.

And as for going to Sapphire Beach, they drop you off at the top of the road instead of driving you down to the beach entrance. If you read other threads on here people act like its climbing down Mt. Everest or something but its no big deal.

Took the Safari Bus to Sapphire Beach a couple of weeks ago. Picked it up by the Wendy's and it was 2 dollars for each of us. We did make a couple of stops but it really did not take much longer than the taxi which I had taken before.

When we got off the ship we were mobbed with taxi drivers and when I asked them where the Safari bus was they were none too happy to hear the question. Some laughed at me and said there was no such thing. Others grudgingly pointed. I can't blame them I guess. But they want way to much to take three people there and back.

We just kept on walking past them and found the stop eventually it really did not take very long to find and it saved a ton of money we had plenty of time at the beach and what we saved on the cab fare for three paid for all or our snorkel rentals and then some.

And as for going to Sapphire Beach, they drop you off at the top of the road instead of driving you down to the beach entrance. If you read other threads on here people act like its climbing down Mt. Everest or something but its no big deal.

That is awesome. How far of a walk is it from crown bay to Wendys?

Archived