Cheap Transportation on St. Thomas

Brianinidaho

Ms411 --- You sound like the best person to review my plan for our day on the island. So, here goes.

There will be 4-6 of us. We will rent a car and take 30 out to Fortuna Rd. I understand you can take that to Bordeaux Hill then turn around and take it back to 301 to 33 onward to 37 and 40 to Drakes Seat. Then take route 35 down to Magens Bays. Enjoy Magens Bay for a bit then go on to Coki Beach for some snorkeling. From there head back to Charlotte Amalie return the car and walk about town until it is time to get back to the ship.

My question, not including the stops at the beaches,how long would this drive around the island take?

Second, is there anything I should take into consideration I may not have thought of???

Lastly, is it correct rental cars are available at the pier??

I've read through all seven pages and appreciate the advice here. However, I have a question not answered yet. We are docking at Crown Bay and would like to go to St. John. Is it faster to take a dollar bus (or whatever) to Red Hook and then ride the ferry to St. John or to just hop on the ferry in Charlotte Amalie for a direct ride? Would the direct ferry be a better option leaving St. John to avoid rush hour traffic? Thanks so much for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to piggyback on the last post or extend it, if possible.

Can you give directions from both Havensight and Crown Bay to catch the bus to Emerald Beach / Lindberg Bay? (including once off the bus) I read earlier about Nisky Shopping Center but how far is that from Crown Bay gate?

We expect to go to Crown Bay but I heard that sometimes the ships change docks so I want to be prepared for either port.

Hi! Sorry, I am going to resurrect this thread again! :p Could someone tell me where the Wendy's is located on the map in post #102? We want to go to Emerald/Lindbergh beach. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the process of trying to sort out these dollar rides myself. It'll save our party of 6 a lot of money if I'm successful. Anyhow, kind of the blind leading the blind here but for what its worth, I believe the Wendy's they are referring to must be the Wendy's on this map..

http://www.virginislandsmap.com/stthomas/havensight/index.html

Tom Schaefer

• 2 weeks later...

I have read all pages of this post and I still have a few questions. We will be arriving via NCL Pearl in October. I do not know how to find out which pier we will be docking at. We will need to be getting to Point Pleasant Resort, which is in the Red Hook area I believe? I want to be able to use the $1 safari's if possible. Where would we need to be to get the right one? Also, will they go by the Point Pleasant Resort or very near there? If so, is there a place to get back on it when we are headed back to the ship? This will be our 2nd time in St. Thomas and the first time we were 'tricked' into using the taxis. Thank you very much in advance for the info!

I have read all pages of this post and I still have a few questions. We will be arriving via NCL Pearl in October. I do not know how to find out which pier we will be docking at. We will need to be getting to Point Pleasant Resort, which is in the Red Hook area I believe? I want to be able to use the $1 safari's if possible. Where would we need to be to get the right one? Also, will they go by the Point Pleasant Resort or very near there? If so, is there a place to get back on it when we are headed back to the ship? This will be our 2nd time in St. Thomas and the first time we were 'tricked' into using the taxis. Thank you very much in advance for the info!

When in doubt ask the crew or a local, just not the guy at the gangplank loading up the taxis... he is the one who lied to me and said there is no other transportation options but this long line of taxis he gets paid to load up:mad:

We (3 couples) just returned from the Serenade of the Seas and took the local bus from the port to Red Hook. It was a little tricky but well worth it.

When you leave the ship, you just walk through all the shops til you hit the main street. You turn left and walk along. You will see a sign that points towards the Kmart. It is a good 10 minute walk and you will be asked numerous times if you want the 10.00 cab ride each to Red Hook. Keep walking.

When we reached the Kmart we were a little confused. Taxi drivers there would only offer to drive us for 8.00 per person. There is a rather large intersection with traffic lights. Go to this corner. You should see a group of locals standing on corners. Just go and ask them which one you need to be on for Red Hook. We found all the local people very willing to help.

The ride to Red Hook is now 2.00 per person and you pay the driver when you get off the bus. It is about a 20 minute ride from the Kmart to Red Hook.

We (3 couples) just returned from the Serenade of the Seas and took the local bus from the port to Red Hook. It was a little tricky but well worth it.

When you leave the ship, you just walk through all the shops til you hit the main street. You turn left and walk along. You will see a sign that points towards the Kmart. It is a good 10 minute walk and you will be asked numerous times if you want the 10.00 cab ride each to Red Hook. Keep walking.

When we reached the Kmart we were a little confused. Taxi drivers there would only offer to drive us for 8.00 per person. There is a rather large intersection with traffic lights. Go to this corner. You should see a group of locals standing on corners. Just go and ask them which one you need to be on for Red Hook. We found all the local people very willing to help.

The ride to Red Hook is now 2.00 per person and you pay the driver when you get off the bus. It is about a 20 minute ride from the Kmart to Red Hook.

Thanks for that info! When you get on the bus do you tell them where exactly you are wanting to go or do you just get taken to a general location in Red Hook? Thanks again!

We just talked to the locals that were waiting at the 'bus stop' and they told us we were on the right one. We had been to Red Hook before so we had a general idea as to what to look for. We did however ask the locals when we were to get off. They were more than happy to help. They will even let you push the 'doorbell' button to signal you want the bus to stop. You will not have any problems. Just enjoy the ride!

The tourist taxi experience in St Thomas is less than optimal. I've gone from Crown Bay (Princess and HAL Pier) to Coki Beach several times over the last few years.

It's $10 pp each way. So that makes is $60 round trip for a family of 3 just to go to a beach 7 miles away? You are put in open air taxes which seat like 20 and made to wait till the taxi is full. (I don't mind open air taxis, and don't mind waiting but if so I want to think I'm getting a good value at least)

On our last trip on the way there, the taxi stopped downtown and tried to hawk for more passengers to go to Coki beach. On the way back our driver stopped downtown and had us transfer to another taxi to get back to Crown Bay as he didn't want to drive less than a full taxi back to Crown Bay. Each of these stops took about 10 minutes. (different taxis and drivers). On the stop on the way back the police saw what the taxi was doing , but just yelled at the driver to move on - no enforcement of rules was done.

I suspect, during this economic recession, repeat cruisers may start to balk at the St Thomas Taxis. I'm not trying to be "cheap" but the taxis need to figure out a way to provide better customer service and a better value.

To avoid the downtown taxi mess from Crown Bay, I see a few alternatives. If anyone has other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

1) stay on the ship

2) goto Emerald Beach (walk 15-20 min or take $4/pp ow taxi ride)

3) goto Water Island ($5/pp ow water shuttle and on to Honeymoon Beach)

There are 9 of us and we're thinking of doing the full day snorkel charter with New Horizons but it would wipe out our budget to spend $180 roundtrip for the taxis. My question is, could we get to Sapphire Resort before 9:15 am if our ship comes in at 7:00am? Would we make it back, ship leaves at 6:00pm. Excursion ends at 4:00pm? Also we would rent a mini-van at the Havensight Budget but online they only have itermediate cars & jeeps. Does anyone know if Havensight budget has minivans? 2 cars would be cheaper than the taxis but the left side of the road is challenging.

There are 9 of us and we're thinking of doing the full day snorkel charter with New Horizons but it would wipe out our budget to spend $180 roundtrip for the taxis. My question is, could we get to Sapphire Resort before 9:15 am if our ship comes in at 7:00am? Would we make it back, ship leaves at 6:00pm. Excursion ends at 4:00pm? Also we would rent a mini-van at the Havensight Budget but online they only have itermediate cars & jeeps. Does anyone know if Havensight budget has minivans? 2 cars would be cheaper than the taxis but the left side of the road is challenging.

can anyone tell me how easy it is to catch this dollar taxi at sapphire beach and get back to town and how much time should we allow to get back

It is VERY EASY to catch the dollar bus!!

It was funny getting off the ferry from St. Johns. It was about 50/50 tourists vs locals. The tourists walked over to the expensive taxis, the locals walked right by and formed a line for the dollar bus. It seemed to come every 10 minutes... just follow the locals... they are so friendly just ask. Since it is a 2 way road-1 lane going each way, and passing is very difficult, whatever time the ride would be with a taxi is the time the bus would take, plus a few minutes for stops.. probably less than 30 minutes total..

Have fun and good luck. They run all the time during daylight it seemed

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I have read each and every post and think I have it figured out, but wanted to check to be sure.

We dock at Havensight. From there I walk toward the K-Mart, but to go westbound on the safari bus, I would catch it in front of Wendy's. I want to get off at Crown Bay Marina to catch the ferry so I think I would be looking for the Nisky Center stop.

On the return, I would exit the ferry and head toward the Nisky Center stop and catch the eastbound bus.

Could someone tell me the distance between the Wendy's and the KMart. If we have time, I would like to run into KMart for water, drinks, etc.

This is a most imformative thread. Thank you all!

• 3 weeks later...
Hello. I have read each and every post and think I have it figured out, but wanted to check to be sure.

We dock at Havensight. From there I walk toward the K-Mart, but to go westbound on the safari bus, I would catch it in front of Wendy's. I want to get off at Crown Bay Marina to catch the ferry so I think I would be looking for the Nisky Center stop.

On the return, I would exit the ferry and head toward the Nisky Center stop and catch the eastbound bus.

Could someone tell me the distance between the Wendy's and the KMart. If we have time, I would like to run into KMart for water, drinks, etc.

This is a most imformative thread. Thank you all!

is your vacation over..if so, would you post what you found?

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is nearing 20,000 views, yet some are not seeing it. One poster, whose hubby just lost his job, and needs to do their trip as cheap as possible, is being told to pay $10 or more per person each way to get to a beach. The taxi is great for some folks with a lot of money. For this poster, who sounded near broke, there is a cheaper way that is safe and fun and it is what the locals do. Hope this helps

can anyone tell me how easy it is to catch this dollar taxi at sapphire beach and get back to town and how much time should we allow to get back

I see other info but does anyone know if the "dollar bus" goes to Sapphire Beach? ...and do I catch it from the Kmart/Wendy's area? How about on the return?

Thanks!

Linda

Linda, the dollar ride's and public bus' east end route does pass by Sapphire's entrance road. You have to get off on the main road and walk down the entrance road to the resort/beach. Its a short walk, steep at the first part and then flat. If you are docked at Havensight then you'd head past Wendy's and would have to go past K-mart to the bus stop area in front of the Hospital entrance/parking area as there is currently road work being done on the road by Kmart so it is one-way. On the return you'd have to walk back to where you were dropped on the main road by Sapphire's entrance and wait there.

--Islander

• 2 weeks later...

Archived