UK International cruise ban to be lifted

govanguy

7 hours ago, auldlassie said:

I feel it is a bit confusing to give advice saying you can now "cruise internationally FROM England". Only leaving from a UK port? Seems unclear to me.

I agreed. This kind of lazy or uninformed reporting isn't helpful. FCDO advice applies to all UK citizens, revalidates most travel insurance and opens up world cruising (subject to country restrictions). . 

Actually, it's the Government advice which is poorly worded. The article has just copy pasted it. You have to read it carefully to pick up that it applies to cruising everywhere. The specific bits on gov.uk are:

"International cruise ship travel means staying overnight for at least 1 night on a sea-going cruise ship with people from multiple households starting, calling or ending at ports outside of the UK.

...you should comply with the local restrictions in all the countries you will be travelling to or through, even if only for a short shore visit

you can find up to date information for all countries and territories on FCDO travel advice. You should also check the requirements for what you need to do when you return to the UK. Even if you remain on board, if your ship calls at an amber or red list country you will be expected to follow government rules on return to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland."

The key sentence is "a sea-going cruise ship... starting, calling or ending at ports outside of the UK."

Importantly, this is the opening line on the page that used to say 'The Government advises against all cruise ship travel', and that's what prevented insurance covering you. There is now no explicit restriction or recommendation against any type of cruise travel. By default, that means it is permitted.

• Like 3

I notice that if you hit the "see all updates button on that FCDO page it comes up as 

1. 28 July 2021

Updated guidance following the UK government's announcement that international cruise sailings can restart from England, in line with Public Health England guidance.

I live in Scotland and need to be sure I can get insurance correctly, so clarity is vital. While I agree that I think the intention was to make international cruise travel for all UK passengers insurable again, this is so unclear I cannot help wonder if Mr Schapps, whose comments yesterday to the media were also unclear, could not seek an amendment to the wording here,  just in case idiots seem to be in charge.  Oh...wait....   🙂

3 hours ago, auldlassie said:

I notice that if you hit the "see all updates button on that FCDO page it comes up as 

1. 28 July 2021

Updated guidance following the UK government's announcement that international cruise sailings can restart from England, in line with Public Health England guidance.

I live in Scotland and need to be sure I can get insurance correctly, so clarity is vital. While I agree that I think the intention was to make international cruise travel for all UK passengers insurable again, this is so unclear I cannot help wonder if Mr Schapps, whose comments yesterday to the media were also unclear, could not seek an amendment to the wording here,  just in case idiots seem to be in charge.  Oh...wait....   🙂

You're right to be cautious I think, based on this article - https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/ministers-urged-to-rapidly-reinstate-international-cruises-from-scotland-after-decision-delayed-until-after-english-restart-3328518 

But I'd be surprised if they didn't follow suit on Tuesday. 

4 hours ago, auldlassie said:

1. 28 July 2021

Totally agree. It's almost as if the FCDO and Government don't understand themselves. The focus on "cruises from England" misses the bigger benefit to UK citizens who want to take international cruises. Main thing the FCDO advice has GONE and travel insurers can't use this as a reason to invalid cover any longer.  Best to just call your insurer to confirm they understand that as well 😀