Queen Victoria Deck Plans

guernseyguy

It looks to me as though the theatre on QUEEN VICTORIA is a totally different layout, with no pillars in the main section ("orchestra").

This is definitely a Good Thing as the Vista Lounges on the HAL ships are a joke! Not only do they have many pillars but they brilliantly decided to arrange the seating in such a way as to have the pillars blocking the views of the absolute maximum number of seats ;) !

Of course the so-called Queens Lounge on the Vista-class ships is awful too - a room that is supposed to be both a cinema/auditorium and a lounge and which fails miserably on both counts. I am highly skeptical of all such "multi-purpose" room and fear that, in addition to being far too small for lectures (on a Cunarder), QV's Hemispheres may be another multi-purpose disaster, which can do multiple things poorly but nothing well.

I am constantly perplexed as to why, as ships get ever larger, the necessity for "multi-purpose" rooms like this apparently becomes greater! Surely on a 90,000 GT ship they could appropriate dedicated space to both a cinema and a nightclub? The old CARONIA (VISTAFJORD) had both at less than 1/3 QUEEN VICTORIA's size...

Doug:

The pillars do not appear on the HAL Vista class deck plans either.

It is not only the pillars, it is the rake of the theater AND the ceiling heights which are also a problem, reducing visibility from the back rows.

I'm still scratching my head over only 18 kts for QV??? The tech specs for the Noordam show 24 kts. Perhaps Cunard really meant to say.. cruising speed 18kts, Max speed 24kts?

All in all, it is still nice not to see the QV as another behemoth!

The Noordam's Queens Lounge/Culinary Arts Center IS different and worked very well, even accommodating crowds for the demostrations.

A little comparison.

QV Space Ratio 44.69 2014 Passengers 90,000gt (estimated)

QM2 Space Ratio 57.79 2620 Passengers 151,400gt

Vista Space Ratio 44.37 1848 Passengers 82,000gt

Spirit Space Ratio 41.67 2124 Passengers 88,500gt

The space ratio for QV is based on the assumption that she really comes in at 90,000 gt. If not, she could actually drop below the HAL Vistas which I find interesting. I always considered Cunard to be the more "luxury" line over HAL, or at least that is the perception they like to promote.

One thing is for certain, QV will be a very different type of ship than her fleetmate QM2. Not only will she be far smaller and not a true "liner", but more crowded as well. Her space ratio is far below that of QM2. It's still a very respectable space ratio, but nothing like that of QM2.

I agree with others that mention her name should not include "Queen". Maybe that should be reserved for Cunard ships that are truly liners and unique. I don't think QV will fit that bill.

Ernie

Well, so its a bit of Vista and a bit of Spirit, Anagrammatically speaking;

Cunard Vista = Vain Custard

Cunard Spirit = Rancid Purist, Acrid Turnips, Putrid Cairns, Drip Curtains, or Rapid Incrust.

Queen Victoria = Quiet Veronica...

I think Cunard Spirit most fun.......

Peter

The pillars do not appear on the HAL Vista class deck plans either.

Actually I was looking at the rendering, not the deck plans.

Of course they could have left the pillars out of the rendering so that they did not get in the way of everyone's view of the room ;) !

It is not only the pillars

Indeed, the whole room was just poorly designed. And honestly I didn't think the one on ZUIDERDAM was too attractive either - too much red velvet ;) !

I'm still scratching my head over only 18 kts for QV??? The tech specs for the Noordam show 24 kts. Perhaps Cunard really meant to say.. cruising speed 18kts, Max speed 24kts?

The Vistas have a cruising speed of 22 knots and a maximum speed of 24 knots.

Cunard's information lists VICTORIA's cruising speed at 18 knots and maximum speed at 23.7 knots. The max speed sounds about right but I can't imagine that the cruising speed of 18 knots is accurate. The other Vista-class and SPIRIT-class ships all have 22-knot cruising speeds. Also, on QE2 last month we were told 22 knots for VICTORIA on several different occasions.

VICTORIA will have the same exact engines (six Wartisla 9L46 diesels) and hull as the 8000-series ships (aka SPIRIT-class) so I do not see why her speed should be any different.

Actually I was looking at the rendering, not the deck plans.

There are pillars at the side on the renderings of the Royal Court Theatre - which also show TWO tiers of private boxes, while the deck plan - as far as its possible to read - only show one - the deck plan also does not split up which are the lower and middle seats in the Royal Court - just replicates the same seating configuration for both levels. I guess another one we'll have to wait to see!

Peter

Archived