Explorer UK cruising

Greetings all. Well bit the bullet and booked a cruise 3 days before sailing from Southampton around the eastern board of the UK all the way up to the Shetlands...brrr it's freezing up here 😁

Anyways. From parking up to boarding all straight forward with the covid hoops. We're now halfway through and enjoying cruising once more. Still a few restrictions on board but nothing to fret about. Crew can't do enough for you. Sometimes I think there are more crew and passengers. Only 800 passengers but it's so much easier to get in the bars with this social distancing. Only downside and remember this is my opinion only and not a general feeling on board that this ship is looking a bit tired in certain areas. But hey ho we're cruising and started to enjoy life again got a brilliant cabin on deck 10 end of line forward. It's so quiet..enough ramblings from me. Any questions please feel free to ask am more than willing to answer. Ps now got to scan for my daily temperature check 😀

3 hours ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Greetings all. Well bit the bullet and booked a cruise 3 days before sailing from Southampton around the eastern board of the UK all the way up to the Shetlands...brrr it's freezing up here 😁

Anyways. From parking up to boarding all straight forward with the covid hoops. We're now halfway through and enjoying cruising once more. Still a few restrictions on board but nothing to fret about. Crew can't do enough for you. Sometimes I think there are more crew and passengers. Only 800 passengers but it's so much easier to get in the bars with this social distancing. Only downside and remember this is my opinion only and not a general feeling on board that this ship is looking a bit tired in certain areas. But hey ho we're cruising and started to enjoy life again got a brilliant cabin on deck 10 end of line forward. It's so quiet..enough ramblings from me. Any questions please feel free to ask am more than willing to answer. Ps now got to scan for my daily temperature check 😀

Hi, glad you are enjoying your cruise. Just read some reviews and people saying that some passengers deliberately flouting the face mask and social distancing rules.  Also breaking the rule about only being able to dance at your table and several on the dance floor and the crew turning a blind eye to it. This sort of thing puts me off booking as it could ruin the cruises for everyone if an outbreak of the virus occurred on the ship due to a few selfish people. 

10 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Hi, glad you are enjoying your cruise. Just read some reviews and people saying that some passengers deliberately flouting the face mask and social distancing rules.  Also breaking the rule about only being able to dance at your table and several on the dance floor and the crew turning a blind eye to it. This sort of thing puts me off booking as it could ruin the cruises for everyone if an outbreak of the virus occurred on the ship due to a few selfish people. 

Where are these reviews that you mention?

Given that UK is now allowing nightclubs to open, why the strict rules on dancing on ships? If want to dance with my wife on a dance floor, why is this a problem?

If we have all been tested for COVID on boarding, where is the outbreak coming from because of dancing with people from their "bubble" ?

8 hours ago, idh2019 said:

Given that UK is now allowing nightclubs to open, why the strict rules on dancing on ships? If want to dance with my wife on a dance floor, why is this a problem?

If we have all been tested for COVID on boarding, where is the outbreak coming from because of dancing with people from their "bubble" ?

A negative test before boarding does not mean you are COVID free, the vaccines are not 100% effective  in preventing infection, surprisingly low with some vaccines. So there may be passengers with a low viral load that pass the test and can still be contagious. As air born spread is common dancing makes this worse, you are breathing more heavily.

13 hours ago, idh2019 said:

The reviews are on FB cruise forums from people who have recently returned from UK cruises.

You are confusing England's rules with the guidance that the cruise lines have to follow to be permitted to resume sailing which are different from England's rules.

Nightclubs are not yet allowed to open yet in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland .Masks still have to worn on public transport and indoor spaces in these countries. 

England is not the whole of the UK.

Also look at how strict the protocols are for the Olympic Games. All tested negative before arriving in Tokyo and staying in their bubbles but several have tested positive since their arrival. So there is a chance you could test negative when you board the ship but test positive a few days later, even if you have been vaccinated. 

You have to follow the ships guidelines which states dancing only at your table, not on the dance floor. Masks to be worn when moving round the ship, daily temperature checks, not allowed to serve yourself at the buffet, can only leave the ship if on a ships tour. 

If people behave responsibly we can all enjoy more cruises in the near future. People who think the rules don't apply to them are putting everyone and everything at risk. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

A negative test before boarding does not mean you are COVID free, the vaccines are not 100% effective  in preventing infection, surprisingly low with some vaccines. So there may be passengers with a low viral load that pass the test and can still be contagious. As air born spread is common dancing makes this worse, you are breathing more heavily.

Correct Dave. 

I have received both doses of the Pfizer Vaccine. A few weeks later I took part in a research program to test immunity to Covid19. I tested negative for antibodies. Meaning my resistance to catching the virus was so low that the result did not register on the scale. 

Some people seem to think that if they have been vaccinated they can throw caution to the wind. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know of coach operators that have a Birmingham to Southampton cruise terminal itinerary.?  The usual go to coaches (inter cruise ) are not available for the Marella sailings and I can’t find any alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

51 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

Does anyone know of coach operators that have a Birmingham to Southampton cruise terminal itinerary.?  The usual go to coaches (inter cruise ) are not available for the Marella sailings and I can’t find any alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried National Express? They may not go to the cruise terminal so you might need a taxi for that last bit.

I've got the same problem, the Intercruise website is unresponsive and they don't reply to email . So I'm just going to take the train. Not much more expensive and a lot faster. The Taxi from the train station to the port seems to be about £6.

Thanks both for your replies.

The trip is for my wife and ma in law.

We have looked at Nat express but somehow they have made a three hour journey into a six hour trip. And by the time it reached Southampton there wouldn’t be a lot of leeway for boarding  (part of the journey is the A34 and is notorious for delays)

We have also looked at the trains but my 86 year old ma in law would have trouble getting on and off on her own never mind with a suitcase as well.

If they decide to go it looks like a six hour plus round trip with me driving them,That’s something for me to look forward too ehh.🙄😉

Stay well both.👍

We have booked this type of service before for the Ma in law and unfortunately she was let down and had to request help from another passenger to help her get to the taxi rank from the platform, so she’s not really keen.

Since she heard that I could possibly be driving them down she’s a happy bunny now.🤷🏻‍♂️🙄

On 8/6/2021 at 12:23 PM, Brummijam said:

And by the time it reached Southampton there wouldn’t be a lot of leeway for boarding  (part of the journey is the A34 and is notorious for delays).

Yes, the A34 is generally overloaded. It is worth remembering that the bit near Oxford should be avoided at any times near the rush hours.  If that is likely to happen, stop off and have a coffee/snack/meal and wait until afterwards - you will feel much better, and probably will not be much later.