The possibility that Carnival will require a negative test & insurance

furf_n_slo

We are a family of 4 traveling on the 9/25 Vista cruise (2 adults 2 kids). We are all fully vaccinated.  

As I understand it,  Carnival insurance may only cover the cruise revenue lost,  so we're looking into trip insurance that will cover everything,  flights, hotels, transportation... in the event there is a positive before we get on the ship. Or even while on the ship of they do happen start testing everyone before disembarking. 

And just to be safe also covering a quarantine hotel if we aren't close to home. 

Also,  if we get a group policy and only one positive test, will they reimburse for everyone since no one will go,  or just the individual?

Any company recommendations? I've google and would also love some personal reviews. Thanks so much!

Carnival requires insurance for unvaccinated passengers on Tx and Fl cruises.  Unvaccinated will be tested prior to debarkation, so you should be ok.  But its possible that contact tracing from anyone that tests positive could prompt you all to be tested.  We don't know much about Carnival's contact tracing aside from unvaccinated kids testing positive leads to vaccinated adults in the same party being tested.  It could also involve being in an excursion with someone who tested positive (as a different cruise line has demonstrated).

Edited by arkaine23

28 minutes ago, furf_n_slo said:

We are a family of 4 traveling on the 9/25 Vista cruise (2 adults 2 kids). We are all fully vaccinated.  

As I understand it,  Carnival insurance may only cover the cruise revenue lost,  so we're looking into trip insurance that will cover everything,  flights, hotels, transportation... in the event there is a positive before we get on the ship. Or even while on the ship of they do happen start testing everyone before disembarking. 

And just to be safe also covering a quarantine hotel if we aren't close to home. 

Also,  if we get a group policy and only one positive test, will they reimburse for everyone since no one will go,  or just the individual?

Any company recommendations? I've google and would also love some personal reviews. Thanks so much!

I believe the Carnival insurance does cover flights due to canceled trips. I purchased it without realizing it also covered medical costs and emergency evacuation. 

Aon Affinity (affinitytravelcert.com)

The insurance coverage is going to vary from policy to policy.  It would probably be best to just call your preferred carrier and ask the these specific questions to ensure everything you want covered is (and a very smart idea to have insurance in today's environment).  Your homeowner's insurance may have some travel coverage too, or offer their own travel insurance - so it would be a good idea to check with your agent.  

With regard to Covid policies.  I have been watching very closely since cruising resumed in the States and they are changing CONSTANTLY.  I've even seen policies put in place, and then get changed 12 hours later, only to be reinstated down the road.  It's the wild west out there.  Keep an eye on it, stay in touch with your travel professional, and if you are booking directly, call the cruise line 2 weeks out, 1 week out, 48 hours out, even 24 hours out to ensure you have everything you need and won't run into any surprises at the cruise terminal. (I'm sure they will attempt to notify everyone of any changes, but I have no doubt folks will miss something and end up with an unpleasant surprise.)  The cruise lines are trying very hard to balance out safety and cruise experience, each one seems to be coming out it from a different approach, and there is a lot of trial and error going on.  With nearly two months out from your cruise, here's hoping things have settled down by then and a more standard policy will be in place.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Qchell said:

With regard to Covid policies.  I have been watching very closely since cruising resumed in the States and they are changing CONSTANTLY.  I've even seen policies put in place, and then get changed 12 hours later, only to be reinstated down the road.  It's the wild west out there.  Keep an eye on it, stay in touch with your travel professional, and if you are booking directly, call the cruise line 2 weeks out, 1 week out, 48 hours out, even 24 hours out to ensure you have everything you need and won't run into any surprises at the cruise terminal. (I'm sure they will attempt to notify everyone of any changes, but I have no doubt folks will miss something and end up with an unpleasant surprise.)  The cruise lines are trying very hard to balance out safety and cruise experience, each one seems to be coming out it from a different approach, and there is a lot of trial and error going on.  With nearly two months out from your cruise, here's hoping things have settled down by then and a more standard policy will be in place.  

Watching the rate of Covid spread in Florida is also unnerving, they just set the single day record for new cases since the start of the pandemic. I keep fearing that one or more of my upcoming cruises will get cancelled at the last minute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, furf_n_slo said:

Two quick points- 

Carnival insurance is a comprehensive plan that will cover basic medical and evacuation as well as cancellation. It will cover air and hotel only if you purchase them through Carnival. If you book those things on your own, be sure to get refundable rates. The airlines will usually give you a voucher, and hotels can be cancelled within a day or so. If a voucher is acceptable, there is no need to insure air and hotel. Insure only the non-refundable expenses.

To get comprehensive coverage for all expenses, look for a third-party policy - just know that you may have trouble collecting for cancelled air because the airline will issue a voucher,  and the insurance company will consider that you have been compensated at that point. If you’d rather have cash, ask the insurance company if you can forfeit the voucher before you buy the policy.

OK - a third point. If you want a defined benefit for quarantine, take a look at Trawick International. Remember that the medical and evacuation in any policy applies only if you are sick enough to need them. A positive test alone does not qualify for evacuation.Trip interruption and trip delay provide some compensation but may not cover all expenses if your trip is cut short and you must quarantine.

Lastly, if one person tests positive, all people on the policy are covered.

Edited by Babr

2 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Watching the rate of Covid spread in Florida is also unnerving, they just set the single day record for new cases since the start of the pandemic. I keep fearing that one or more of my upcoming cruises will get cancelled at the last minute.

That is a concern for a lot of us.  But here's the thing.  Unless cruise lines start showing large % of unvaccinated people testing positive and breakthrough cases spreading, in which case the CDC itself may call a halt to cruising-again-you'll most likely see focus on allowing only small amounts of unvaccinated people, mostly children.  There could be greater push to masking once on board, or limiting # guests in certain areas.

But 2 things to keep in mind 1) vaccines were meant to reduce severe infections and deaths, not prevent 100% of vaccinated people from catching COVID--say thank you CNN for lying to us all, and 2) Delta variant cases in certain areas are are starting to decline.  Not go away, but decline from peaks.  These areas are for the most part where significant numbers have been vaccinated.  But still climbing in less vaccinated areas.  And CDC's recs are based on Cape Cod incident where large number of vaccinated and unvaccinated mingled together for a significant amount of time.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Babr said:

It will cover air and hotel only if you purchase them through Carnival. If you book those things on your own, be sure to get refundable rates.

Always good advice but the Carnival policy does cover airfare you purchase independently now, up to the total value. 

It's in the link I posted above.

• Thanks 1