Any Canadians now cruising

trtog7

2 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Blue Cross is covering cruising if you are in Ontario and I believe also Quebec. They told me it's just included in their regular emergency medical coverage now, but note that their policy only covers medical, not quarantine expenses. Hopefully you're sailing with a line that provides something to help with that if you test positive.

It is interesting to see what Blue Cross covers in different regions of Canada.  I have a personal health plan with Pacific Blue Cross here in B.C. that does not include travel coverage.  I called them yesterday to see if they currently sell emergency medical coverage for cruises and I was told they do not and would not as long as the Canadian government had an advisory in place to avoid all travel on cruise ships.  The last time I spoke to the broker I usually get my travel insurance from I was advised they could obtain emergency medical insurance for me if I went on a cruise but it would not cover any costs directly related to Covid-19.  Hopefully when the ban on cruise vessels in Canadian waters is lifted on November 1, 2021 the travel advisory regarding cruising will also be lifted or modified in a manner that would make it easier to obtain insurance.   Regards,  Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paf225 said:

It is interesting to see what Blue Cross covers in different regions of Canada.  I have a personal health plan with Pacific Blue Cross here in B.C. that does not include travel coverage.  I called them yesterday to see if they currently sell emergency medical coverage for cruises and I was told they do not and would not as long as the Canadian government had an advisory in place to avoid all travel on cruise ships.  The last time I spoke to the broker I usually get my travel insurance from I was advised they could obtain emergency medical insurance for me if I went on a cruise but it would not cover any costs directly related to Covid-19.  Hopefully when the ban on cruise vessels in Canadian waters is lifted on November 1, 2021 the travel advisory regarding cruising will also be lifted or modified in a manner that would make it easier to obtain insurance.   Regards,  Paul

This is a duplicate of your post on the Tavel Insurance thread. Rather than repeat my response, let me simply state that it is very unlikely IMO that they will drop the cruise travel advisory when then lift the ban on cruise ships entering Canada. 

7 hours ago, paf225 said:

Here in Ontario, I initially purchased a Manulife all inclusive plan (full disclosure - I'm a travel agent and I sell Manulife) with cancel for any reason coverage, largely because one of our cats was recently diagnosed with kidney disease and I didn't know how it might progress and if we might have to cancel to care for him. Under that plan, as with the Blue Cross (which I purchased weeks later when I found out they were covering cruises), we have emergency medical coverage. Under Manulife, if I break my leg on a cruise, they'll cover it. If I break my leg and then it turns out I have Covid, no coverage for the Covid treatment - hence the need for the Blue Cross. I truly do feel safe going on our upcoming cruise and am not very concerned with contracting the virus during our travels, but the cautious Canadian in me is thankful to know that if we do get sick, at least we won't go broke trying to obtain medical assistance on the ship or in the States. I'm with you in hoping that our government will lift, or at least modify, the cruising advisory come November. Not too long now to find out!

• Like 4