Covid insurance provided by MSC on Caribbean cruises

Shippy

If you are not vaccinated, you pay for the insurance, if vaccinated it is free.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Does the insurance start when you board the ship ?

I question because of the possibility of a positive test at the port. If you are from out of town, there would obviously be some big expenses, Hotel, food, etc.

If that is not covered, does anyone know of any insurance to cover these types of things.

Although I am hoping for a fabulous trip with no prolems, I think it wise to have a plan 'B' in place just in case.

Thanks

I've been trying to find the specifics on these insurance policies for a while now, the quickie coverage summary on the MSC site is totally inadequate.  I can't see how MSC can be charging people for the policy and not providing the actual policy terms.

1 hour ago, Até said:

I've been trying to find the specifics on these insurance policies for a while now, the quickie coverage summary on the MSC site is totally inadequate.  I can't see how MSC can be charging people for the policy and not providing the actual policy terms.

Maybe this will help? Still just a summary, not the full policy, but a bit more detailed.

Insurance_final.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Maybe this will help? Still just a summary, not the full policy, but a bit more detailed.

Insurance_final.pdf 4.08 MB · 1 download

THANK YOU !

At first I thought this was the useless page on MSC site that I copied.

I was only able to see the first page.

Yours is GREAT. 3 Extra pages. Not only gives the company name of who wrote the policy but the phone number. I will call tomorrow !

thank you !

I would love MSC to extend their Cruise Reassurance beyond October 31. 
Because of the Alarming recent news regarding Covid in Florida, MSC should consider this extension to put fully vaccinated passengers minds at ease. 

Many of us are being careful but still are stressing out about the possibility of testing positive at embarkation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phissy said:

I would love MSC to extend their Cruise Reassurance beyond October 31. 
Because of the Alarming recent news regarding Covid in Florida, MSC should consider this extension to put fully vaccinated passengers minds at ease. 

Many of us are being careful but still are stressing out about the possibility of testing positive at embarkation.

My guess and hope is that they will extend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Insurance_final.pdf 4.08 MB · 12 downloads

Thank you!  Can you click on the link near the top of page four that reads:

A full description of coverage will be included in your eDocs or click here to review

Following that link should take you to the full certificate, but it's not operational on the PDF.  The www.tiny.cc/G452 URL doesn't seem valid either.

Additionally, have you seen any specifics on the free for vaccinated COVID-19 only policy? 

The website seems awkward to me.  About Covid testing, I came away with the sense that everyone would be tested at the terminal before boarding.  If you aren't vaccinated or didn't show your card you would pay for the test,  If you were vaccinated you would still get the test in the terminal, but no charge.  Any other ideas what they meant? 

11 minutes ago, hotdog647 said:

About Covid testing, I came away with the sense that everyone would be tested at the terminal before boarding.  If you aren't vaccinated or didn't show your card you would pay for the test,  If you were vaccinated you would still get the test in the terminal, but no charge.  Any other ideas what they meant? 

The antigen tests done at the embarkation terminal are done by MSC at no cost and everybody gets one.  The PCR test that needs to be done by non-vaccinated or those not showing proof must be done within 72 hours of embarkation and is not covered by MSC.

ETA: Above is for US based sailings, EU and UK sailings are under different rules.

Edited by Até

Not as easy as I thought it would be...

I spoke with the insurance carrier, Generali Global Assistance, this morning.

All they could tell me was the policy starts at 12:01 am the day after purchase.

That leaves the question....when is it purchased....

Is it at the time of your final payment which would be great or is it at the pier upon checkin....not so great because if you test positive at the pier, there will be no checkin.

I then called MSC and started the conversation with...I have a real technical question about the covid insurance. If you do not know the answer, can you please give me another number to call.

All the girl could say was 'GOD FORBID YOU TEST POSITIVE '

I would say yes that would be terrible but I need to know when the policy is purchased.....GOD FORBID YOU TEST POSITIVE.....

CLICK....she hung up on me !

30 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Not as easy as I thought it would be...

It's my opinion that is one of the main issues MSC is up against.  Coverage details for those that are having to purchase the insurance well after final payment has been made.  From all my dealings that seems to be a big problem for certain types of coverage by insurance companies.

OK...just spoke to a real nice man at MSC...

He saw that we declined regular cruise insurance.

He said that his understanding was that the Covid Reassurance was different and was AUTOMATICALLY applied when we purchased (final payment) the cruise so there should be no problem.

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

I spoke with the insurance carrier, Generali Global Assistance, this morning.

All they could tell me was the policy starts at 12:01 am the day after purchase.

That leaves the question....when is it purchased....

Based on the coverage document I got for the MSC provided "last minute" covid coverage, here is the "effective date" wording.  Since it is the "latter of", it may only take effect on date of sailing for some of the coverages -

covid effective date.png