Will the Jade make it to Africa?

Lvntrvl

17 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@mscdivina2016

Hello Steve

You are booked on the Africa cruise leaving in mid November?

Is that optimism, do you know something or did you miss out "supposed to be"?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Since the thread is "will the Jade make it to Africa",

I guess I could have started my reply with "Are" or I could have ended it with "of this year".

I guess I assumed they were leaving on 11/15 as mine does forgetting that people do have the 12/3 booked as well. It's the deposit thing that struck me as odd. We are all past final. USA.

Steve

4 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

You are booked on the Africa cruise leaving in mid November?

No. Cruise out of Cape Town december 21. When I booked it, I had no idea, that South Africa was close for cruising. I only researched that I could enter South Africa. I could not imagine, that they were selling cruises 3 months away, to a country that does not allow cruise ships to enter, even if alert level is reduced! So I did not investigate rules for cruising arriving to South African ports.

9 hours ago, EnClair said:

I have paid deposit and for the flights booked through NCL. I would like to know, what happens if  I choose to book a different cruise. Can I transfer the deposit to a new cruise? And what about the flight tickets? Will the money be refunded? It is not very likely, that I will use the same airline at a different cruise. 

I have tried to contact NCL several times, but I have not received an answer yet.

Each block of countries has slightly different rules. In the UK we lose the deposit if we move the cruise, but all the other FCC and 10% discount would be transferred. Of course, if NCL cancel then we get the deposit back too, which is what I am waiting for. 

In the US, they can shift without risking the deposit, even under normal circumstances, as long as its not past final payment date. I don't know where Denmark's T&C falls on that spectrum. 

Airlines vary massively too. I have some tickets with one that are non-refundable, but another will let me rebook without penalty as close as three days away from flying.

10 hours ago, aussie cruzer said:

Very true,I'm booked on the Dubai to Athens return leg.Flights payed,2 nights accommodation in Dubai pre cruise fully payed.

There is no way this years Cape Town cruises are 3-4 thousand cheaper than next year..why.

Personally I've paid 2 K in shore excursions for a cruise that won't happen.

Prices are capacity controlled, so all that means is that lots of people have cancelled their cruise, for the reasons we're all discussing. Many will have booked for the following year, which is why the price of those cruises is going up rapidly. You can't read anything about NCL's view on the sailing into it, just that most passengers don't think it will sail. 

I see cruises that I would like (in 2022), but it is hard to get excited and plan for a trip, with the uncertainty of the COVID19 restrictions that will be in effect.    We like to combine a cruise with a land trip and that adds to the uncertainty, since if we buy airfare and either the land trip is not possible or the cruise, we are in a pickle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

I see cruises that I would like (in 2022), but it is hard to get excited and plan for a trip, with the uncertainty of the COVID19 restrictions that will be in effect.    We like to combine a cruise with a land trip and that adds to the uncertainty, since if we buy airfare and either the land trip is not possible or the cruise, we are in a pickle.

Refundable airfare is pickle-less.

STeve

5 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Not sure, but I think the refundable on Delta expires at the end  of the year?

No???

They sell refundable and non refundable tickets all the time.

Many will not pay the extra and they are the same ones who complain when something goes wrong.

Steve

No consistency!!!   Nothing on the website.   Personally I'm glad I am not hoping to do either cruise this year; I wouldn't know just what the future holds.

I hope that what happened on the Spirit cruise last year; half way through the first cruise (Dubai-Cape Town) the second (Cape Town-Singapore) was first changed to a new debarkation port (Athens) and then cancelled; does not happen here.

• Like 1

From the newest covid regulations in south africa released october 1.:

(2) The Cabinet member responsible for transport must, after consultation with the Cabinet members responsible for cooperative governance and traditional affairs, health, police, trade, industry and competition, and justice and correctional services, issue directions for the resumption of different modes of public transport to cater for the gradual return to work of people, in respect of-
(a) domestic air travel;
(b) rail, bus services, taxi services;
(c) e-hailing services;
(d) private vehicles; and
(e) passenger ships, including cruise ships.

3 hours ago, EnClair said:

From the newest covid regulations in south africa released october 1.:

(2) The Cabinet member responsible for transport must, after consultation with the Cabinet members responsible for cooperative governance and traditional affairs, health, police, trade, industry and competition, and justice and correctional services, issue directions for the resumption of different modes of public transport to cater for the gradual return to work of people, in respect of-
(a) domestic air travel;
(b) rail, bus services, taxi services;
(c) e-hailing services;
(d) private vehicles; and
(e) passenger ships, including cruise ships.

I saw that ,

They should reconvene on Monday November 1at and hopefully eliminate the levels  completely and then we are good!!!

But is that too late?

Steve

We are booked on the Cape Town to Dubai cruise on Jade leaving Cape Town January 26th 2022. I've made final payment. 

I checked the Costco Travel site to see if there is a lot of availability (namely, unsold cabins) on my booking which would confirm the pessimism about the preceding (December 2021) cruises happening.  It looks over 90% full.

We recently travelled on a land tour to Ireland and independently to Paris. It's encouraging that places are opening up. Hopefully, the Jade cruise will happen.

1 hour ago, aussie cruzer said:

Looks like no Madagascar & Seychelles at the moment ....it’s going to be a lot sea days heading south to Cape Town.

Can't go to Cape town yet. It's under a level 1 lockdown.

Until the ministry convenes again in November and "then" declares Covid over and the lockdown levels gone can ships call again 

I personally think it's a money grab.

I am booked on the December 3 sailing as well as the 11/15 sailing.

They have no time slots actually reserved for the Suez.

There are no scheduled arrivals on any South Africa ports from an official site. That is a site that does not have ads on it.

Berths are reserved years in advance.

Steve

MSC has just been cleared to operate in South Africa. Seems highly likely other cruise lines will also get the go ahead - Azamara has been saying as much. 

Anyone on the repositioning cruise may find they miss the islands, unless they reopen alongside South Africa. 

1 hour ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

MSC has just been cleared to operate in South Africa. Seems highly likely other cruise lines will also get the go ahead - Azamara has been saying as much. 

Anyone on the repositioning cruise may find they miss the islands, unless they reopen alongside South Africa. 

Do you have a link?

I know that is true for 2022 when lockdown ends.

If you are talking the Seatrade news, I saw that but the key was in conjunction with national health protocols. Meaning that lockdown needs to be eliminated first.

Edited by mscdivina2016

@mscdivina2016

I have just looked and see that the Jade is not due to visit Israel BEFORE they leave for Dubai and South Africa.

Have you considered piggy-backing on the Jade Mediterranean cruise Roll Calls to find someone on board who will attempt to find someone (an "officer") who could confirm if they ARE Confirmed to visit Israel?

Probably unlikely but more chance than "blood out of the stone" in Miami.

49 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Have you considered piggy-backing on the Jade Mediterranean cruise Roll Calls to find someone on board who will attempt to find someone (an "officer") who could confirm if they ARE Confirmed to visit Israel?

I have very little faith in any information that is out there.

I see truth out right disregarded.

Jade still shows Seychelles, despite official government statements saying no till 2022

Here in the USA, cruises still being sold with a stop in Grand Cayman in 2021, again government officially states no until 2022

I don't believe the Jade will sail to Africa so much that I have a backup cruise, paid in full for a 14 Caribbean cruise that I can cancel 48 before for FCC.

I would love it to sail, especially at the deal I got.

Steve

13 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Do you have a link?

I know that is true for 2022 when lockdown ends.

If you are talking the Seatrade news, I saw that but the key was in conjunction with national health protocols. Meaning that lockdown needs to be eliminated first.

It was an MSC announcement on their Facebook page, which I can't find now. This seems to cover the same ground though - 

https://cruise-arabia.com/2021/10/03/south-africa-2021-22-cruise-season-gets-the-go-ahead-from-authorities/

Edit: Found the MSC statement http://www.mscpressarea.com/en_INT/press-releases/4337