Cancellation Cost

bumper31

My final payment was due for a med cruise. As a UK cruiser, it still seems unlikely we would be able to go and I don't want to comit another 2.5k to the bank of MSC with the risk we won't be able to go, so then it means our main option would be to book another cruise for next year.

The thing is, this booking was made from a cancelled Med cruise last year, where we paid the final payment and MSC had our cash of 2.7k. We took the option of the 125% uplift and booked for this October.

So as I said rather than comit  even more money, I have chosen to cancel with loss of deposit. Which is the best worst scenario.

My problem, is this seems a little disengenuous. We could have cancelled last year for a full refund, but because we rebooked and loaned MSC 2.7k for another 18 months, we now have to pay 300 quid for the privelege. 

Has anyone had any success in getting a full refund in this scenario? Is it worth chasing? Even if I just get a travel voucher?

Thanks

B

Bumper ... Can you not transfer the booking to 2022 ? MSC would not refund the 25% that was added to your latest booking anyway, I am guessing that there is still a balance outstanding of £2,500 for your cruise by the way you have written your post ? It might be worth asking the citizens advice or contacting ABTA to see what they say.

45 minutes ago, sidari said:

Bumper ... Can you not transfer the booking to 2022 ? MSC would not refund the 25% that was added to your latest booking anyway, I am guessing that there is still a balance outstanding of £2,500 for your cruise by the way you have written your post ? It might be worth asking the citizens advice or contacting ABTA to see what they say.

Thanks for the reply...

I could transfer, but that means they would have had 2.7 k of my money for nearly 3 years. And we have another seperate booking for the carribean we have to move as well.

To clarify for your other question. I do have an outstanding balance of 2.5k on top of the 2.7k I have already paid.

I am aware you do not get the 125% bonus refunded.

So really I am expecting 2.5k after losing the 200 quid deposit. It just seems a little unfair that I have tried to stay loyal to MSC and it is costing me 200 quid for the pleasure.

I may chance my arm to see if I can get 200 quid credit once I get my refund. Just seeing if anyone else has tried something similar.

Or do we just swallow the loss?

• Like 1

Not sure if there are any options with a credit card challenge.  I'd first call MSC and speak to a lead agent if you haven't cancelled just yet.  If you did cancel, that probably limits any chance of a return of deposit.

I've said it before, if one can get a refund, I do not recommend moving it to a new sailing unless there are plainly no other options.  I think I've had 3 sailings cancelled by MSC and 1 that I just cancelled on my own.  Each time, I received a full refund and simply did a new booking for 2022 from scratch.

• Like 2