Packing - Ugh...

bepsf

rev

i really enjoyed your i could but what if post------

i bet the room steward could take your ripped pants to the laundry for some minor alteration --- yes you put the stuff in your shoes--but you still have to deal with the weight of the luggage

we all hope that it doesnt happen but if the ship goes down then you have really overpacked lol

Thanks to the helpful people on this board, I was able to get a starter packing list. I used this on my first cruise adding things I found I needed and deleting things I didn't wear or use. I now have a "serious" packing list that I use for every cruise. I still forget a few things or bring a few extras that I end up not using, but it certainly cuts down on the guesswork ;)

Trisha

It's such a chore for me:

I never know what I may need.

I always end up with too much of something (like underwear or t-shirts) but inevitably discover that I've left something necessary behind... (like the first time I went to the Carib and forgot all the swimwear I'd bought for the trip!)

Am I the only one with this problem?

Is there help for us?

:confused: :o

Oh Boo Hoo Boo Hoo!!!:( You poor Baby!!! What a chore!!! Get me a violin and I'll sing sad songs for you ...... ;)

You know what, my pal? I think it's just too much of a problem. I say CANCEL! Who needs all this? It's just too much for the mind to wrap itself around.

But in the meantime, I'd pack a little parka or something because those first couple of days are going to very likely be coooooold!

i bet the room steward could take your ripped pants to the laundry for some minor alteration

And, if the tear is along a seam that is precisely what I would do (indeed, what I HAVE done). However, what if the tear is in the fabric weave and not along a seam? I've noticed that when a very old pair of dockers gives way on me, it's usually NOT in the seam but in the weave where they've been snagged by a sharp object or a cat's claw. :)

--- yes you put the stuff in your shoes--but you still have to deal with the weight of the luggage

Underwear is neither bulky nor heavy, and is the least of my concerns. :) But, you're correct, the ounces DO add up. <sigh> After last night's experiment I'm just going to have to settle for the arrangement I've currently got. It works well ... neither bag is overly stuffed, both are significantly under the Airline weight limit, and I can handle them both without any trouble (the large garment bag straps onto the rolling upright). IF I shifted items to the garment bag (up to the weight limit) from the rolling upright, I could pretty much fit a room steward in there. While I would have to pay the over-weight-limit fee, it would be worth it to get one of those guys home.

we all hope that it doesnt happen but if the ship goes down then you have really overpacked lol

FOFLMHO ... that is SO true. But, I don't think we have much to worry about on that score. ;):eek: :cool:

Oh Boo Hoo Boo Hoo!!!:( You poor Baby!!! What a chore!!! Get me a violin and I'll sing sad songs for you ...... ;)

You know what, my pal? I think it's just too much of a problem. I say CANCEL! Who needs all this? It's just too much for the mind to wrap itself around.

Heather! :eek:

I'm SHOCKED!

Your lack of sympathy and compassion is underwhelming!

Here we are, two guys, moaning and groaning over trying to pack our stuff for a luxury cruise on the maiden voyage of the glorious and lovely Noordam -- a cruise, might I remind you, that some of us BEGGED you to book -- and all you do is gloat at our delimma, play your violin, and suggest we CANCEL!?! The NERVE of some people!!

:D ;)

Our friends laugh at us. We have packing lists stored on our PC. When we go on any vacation we edit the list depending on where and how long, print it out, and pack.

How anal can one get ! :D

Never anal enough for me, Herb! I travel for work and for pleasure, and I do this for EVERY trip. I set them up in Word with checklist, so I can "mark" them when I pull and pack them.

Talk about anal---I'm a rookie cruiser, not leaving until November, but I'm already studying this board and learning what to pack/bring...and already making my list!

The "meek" may inherit the earth, but it's the anal who will get it organized!!! :rolleyes:

Mike and I shared a long marriage which ended in a divorce (more my fault than his, I can say that now)..but many, many times I would like to be like him. Packing is one of them.

For our honeymoon (to Hawaii, actually a cruise was planned and paid for but Hurricaine David did that in), he took out a plastic clothes hamper but it on the bed and threw things from his closet and drawers into it...

I have always marveled at that event.

I wish I could be so lasidasical in my packing, unfortunately I use lists.....and I tend to overpack but I am working out to do better for my next time around.

Good Luck and as my youngest would say: Just Get the job done.

LHC

Heather! :eek:

I'm SHOCKED!

Your lack of sympathy and compassion is underwhelming!

Here we are, two guys, moaning and groaning over trying to pack our stuff for a luxury cruise on the maiden voyage of the glorious and lovely Noordam -- a cruise, might I remind you, that some of us BEGGED you to book -- and all you do is gloat at our delimma, play your violin, and suggest we CANCEL!?! The NERVE of some people!!

:D ;)

I know, Greg ... and I hang my head in shame. I am a horrible person and I promise I shall repent.

.......... and I loved being begged:) . Few before you have ever begged;).

So I noticed.

I'm in Seagoville, where I serve as the Senior Pastor at the First UMC of Seagoville.

Check out my bio on my website: http://www.revneal.org

Will have to study it more...after work.

I have a background as a So Baptist minister. Obviously not now. :o We actually live in Irving. We're looking to visit a Methodist church in Dallas very soon. Looking for home....but apparently NOT in the Irving area. :(

Great to meet you!

Greg--

I was wondering why you'd bring so many undershorts...

Then reading about the precarious nature of your pants...

...it all makes sense to me now!

See you in the Gym in the AM...

;)

***makes a mental note to bring the sewing kit***

But in the meantime, I'd pack a little parka or something because those first couple of days are going to very likely be coooooold!

Well, that's the issue!

Its Cold in NYC

Its warm in the Carib

Who knows what it will be like at my Sis' place in VA (I'm spending a week there after the cruise)

I guess I'll just bring EVERYTHING!

:eek: :D

(Yes, Jim - I NEED all 6 feather boas, and my fur stole too!)

;)

I was wondering why you'd bring so many undershorts...

Then reading about the precarious nature of your pants...

;) Gee ... people love to over-interpret and read-into what I wrote all sorts of stuff I didn't say. ;) I said that if I bring only 1 pair of OLD dockers, knowing MY track record, they will choose this cruise to rip.

So ... I made up my mind last night ... I'll bring NO old dockers for relaxed wear, only new pairs ... hence none of them will have thread fatigue.

As for the number of underwear. Well ... let's see: 10 day cruise + 3 days pre-cruise. 1 pair, minimum, per day = 13 pair. Plus, I like to bring extra pairs in order to enable me to change into fresh underwear when I change into evening wear or after I get back from shore excursions. You do the math.

Ok ... I'll bring 3 pair of underwear and wear them until they stick against the wall, then send them off for laundry. How's THAT? :eek:

Rev Neal - I hope you are feeling better from your cold.

This thread has been hilarious. I never laughed so hard, I almost split a gut.

A few years ago on my cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver on the old Golden Princess, I had forgotten one thing. My seabands. As soon as I arrived on the ship in Honolulu, I searched high and low for them. Then I realized I had left them at home. How was I to get through 6 days in open ocean. Well there was not a ripple on the water. Smooth sailing all the way. The captain had said that was very unusual, as it is usually rough in a few areas. That is the first thing that I pack now, my seabands. Don't leave home without them.

Archived