Packing - Ugh...

bepsf

It's such a chore for me:

I never know what I may need.

I always end up with too much of something (like underwear or t-shirts) but inevitably discover that I've left something necessary behind... (like the first time I went to the Carib and forgot all the swimwear I'd bought for the trip!)

Am I the only one with this problem?

Is there help for us?

:confused: :o

No help whatsoever. It would probably be best if you gave up cruising. :rolleyes:

Listen, You are planning a lovely time in NYC, will attend the festivities attendant to Noordam's inaugural, and then get to sail on that maiden voyage.

And I won't be. I can't be feeling too sorry for you right now. ;)

While packing...if you ask yourself "should I bring this"?

My advice...bring it.

Whenever I try to cut down on what I bring, I always regret it.

I don't mean to go overboard (ha ha) didn't mean that.

But if you've got the luggage, use it.

It is a chore. I usually start packing a week before.

It's exciting just taking the luggage out.

I don't leave until next month and I came across some rain ponchos and binoculars. So I put them in my packing area of my room and their they sit all by themselves. But I won't forget them! :D

O' the things we consider such a chore!

This will be my first trip and I have seen on the various boards about putting items in large clear bags. Do they search your bags prior to boarding. I am curious about checked bags only not carry on's. Sorry if this a little naive but like I said I am going on my first cruise next month.

This will be my first trip and I have seen on the various boards about putting items in large clear bags. Do they search your bags prior to boarding. I am curious about checked bags only not carry on's. Sorry if this a little naive but like I said I am going on my first cruise next month.

I know that all checked luggage is sniffed by dogs, for controlled substances, maybe they xray it as well...I've never seen that being done.

All carry on luggage is xrayed as well, but I'm not quite sure what you meant about putting things in clear bags. I've never ever seen anyone with their luggage in clear bags ( if that's what you meant)

. We have packing lists stored on our PC. When we go on any vacation we edit the list depending on where and how long, print it out, and pack.

do the exact same thing --not only for packing clothes but for stuff like toothbrushes -toothpaste etc and one for all the papers and things like i have to do about shutting the house down -- passports -cruise and airline tix- notify alarm company - notify neighbors --go to bank etc----life is so much easier since i started doing that

Hi jh602,

When people are speaking of putting items in plastic bags inside their luggage it is mainly because it makes going through airport sucurity a little easier. If your luggage is searched by airport security and your item are in clear ziploc bags, it will allow security to seach your things without actually touching them.

Added bonus story....:p

Once we were on a cruise and our luggage was left outside in the rain overnight. We did not know this until much later, when we opened the luggage to retrieve some clothes, and found a wet mess. Boy did I wish I had put my things in ziploc bags!:eek:

Have a great vacation!

Jennifer

For our last cruise on the Oosterdam I bought a beautiful new evening bag a month or so before the cruise (my old one had seen better days). I put it away in a safe place. When packing time came I put my formal nights' outfits together with all the details but I forgot about the bag. I realized it as soon as I unpacked onboard and immediately went to the shops for one of those wonderful $10 special black bags - but it wasn't as nice as the one I left at home. Oh well, there is always the next cruise and I love being able to say that;).

Well Brian, with respect to the packing issue, you appear to be quite normal! :)

In spite of having my cruise packing list on my PDA, I still manage to forget something! One time it was the battery charger for my camcorder. :eek: Just today, over on the Cruise Discussion Forum, in the First Time Cruiser's sub-forum there is a thread with THE definitive packing list--I printed it out for future use-6pages long!

Luckily, all the real important stuff makes it into a suitcase or carry-on, at least so far! Other than worrying about what I have forgotten, packing is a lot of fun! :cool:

I usually start a couple of weeks before a trip and put my suitcase on the bed in my spare bedroom. I make a list of what I want to take and start laying out items on the bed.

The most important items to remember are airline tickets, cruise documents, passport, and most of all - $$$$$ and charge cards! :p

I miscalculated my "underwear" by one day on my New Year's cruise and just rinsed a set out in the sink with my shampoo! (There's a nice little line to hang them on in the bathtub!) While I won't mention the "comando" style :eek: which is popular with some individuals, I recall a woman on a traveling bike trip that favored turning her underwear inside out for extra "mileage." Another option would just be to throw away the soiled ones and buy more when you're in port! I think another option would be for HAL to do your laundry. So, hey - be daring and try to pack less underwear this time!

Some things you can pack (or put on the bed beside your suitcase) immediately. (i.e. swimwear, formal wear, etc...)

My only other suggestion to alleviate the burden of packing is to hire a personal assistant to "do the work" for you. (In some circles that is often know as a "wife" or could possibly be a butler.

Seriously, the most important transport is YOU! Just relax and have fun - if you don't have it, you can probably do without! I think you're on the ship with Rev. Neal (Greg). Have a great cruise and let us know all about it when you return!

It's such a chore for me:

I never know what I may need.

I always end up with too much of something (like underwear or t-shirts) but inevitably discover that I've left something necessary behind... (like the first time I went to the Carib and forgot all the swimwear I'd bought for the trip!)

Am I the only one with this problem?

Is there help for us?

:confused: :o

What a dreadful ordeal! How about you send your ticket to me and that way you can avoid this horrible chore. I don't mind making the sacrifice, really:D .

Just grit your teeth and get it done. The reward (cruise) is worth the effort. Have a terrific trip and don't forget, we expect a complete report when you return.

I have a list on the computer, also. I started it early. Because as I read CC and think about the trip, I think of other things to add to the list. However, if you just can't do that (some people can't) I start at the top of my head. What do I need for my hair, face, underarms, body, feet.... you get the idea. I pack for each body part, and as I do that, I think of what activities, i will be doing. Swimming, snorkling, etc. It helps a lot.

Heck, throw the stuff in, and go! You can live without almost anything! At each port, they will be happy to sell you anything you forgot.

Have a great cruise!

Don't worry about overpacking - I always overpack. I never know what I will need so I take almost everything. It saved me on my last cruise.

We went to the Med and I filled up 2 large suitcases. The airline allowed us 60lbs per bag and I was very close to max in each suitcase. Well, the airline lost one of my bags. It never showed up the entire cruise. I was able to "make out" the entire trip with my one suitcase that had 60 lbs of my clothes and shoes in it.

I shudder to think what I would have done if I was one of those folks that took the bare necessities.

My advice - take everthing you want and if you forget something, buy it in the first port. Also, I guess you found out that swimwear is sold everywhere in the Caribbean and even on the ship. :D

Brian, it's time to seriously look at what you take. I mean, ask yourself if you really need six feather boas for a one-week cruise. :D

Herb, I don't believe you're anal at all. I do the very same thing. Sure makes packing easier, and virtually eliminates leaving something important at home. As a side benefit I hope to never take advantage of, should a suitcase be lost I have a record of exactly what I packed for insurance purposes.

LOL This is a great thread! Especially after all those other threads.

I just printed out my list tonight. My wife leaves in less than a week and we haven't even started packing yet. So I printed the ultimate list and put it on a clip board for checking off!

It's been quite awhile since my last cruise....but I do distinctly remember saying to my wife, "Next time lets pack less and buy more!"

Brian,

Don't feel too bad. I just UNPACKED and am trying to pack in a different bag ... hoping to keep (1) under the maximum weight per bag, but (2) with left-over room in at least 1 bag to allow for any purchases.

I'm utterly befuddled right now. How could such a SMALL list of items expand to fill so MUCH space in my bags???

My Current Packing List****

Worn in transit to NYC on Sunday and to the Ship on Wed:

*Black suit, tab clergy shirt, dress shoes (i.e., my Sunday "uniform" ... I'll be going to the airport from the Church.)

Formal:

*Tuxedo

*Formal tux Shirts

*Black and blue bow ties, cummerbund, shirt studs, cufflinks, etc.

*Neckband formal clergy shirt, neckband collar, formal clerical vest.

Informals:

*Grey Suit

*Shirts (1 white, 1 blue, at least 1 tie)

Casual Evening Clothing:

*2 knit shirts

*2 black silk print shirts (tiger and island)

*1 Tropical/Hawaiian shirt

*2 good pair of slacks (new)

*Casual shoes

Daytime Wear (ship and shore):

*6 daytime polos shirts

*2 pair of daytime wear slacks

*1 pair shorts

*Swim wear

*Workout wear (sweatshorts, sweatshirt, t-shirt)

*Walking shoes

*bierkenstocks

Other Clothing and Related Items:

*18 pair of shorts and 7 undershirts

*Shaving Kit (all bathroom articles)

*Coat for Monday and Tuesday

Stuff:

*iPod and on stage

*Short, Multi-Plug Extension Cord

*Prescriptions

*Sinus/headache/other minor pain medicines

*Small Flashlight

*Laptop

*Digital Cameras and assorted accessories

*Digital Video camera and assorted accessories

*Publications to give to ship's library and friends

*Travel documents

*Money (travelers checks/credit cards/cash)

*Duck Tape (for strapping cabin steward to bags for trip home)

Our friends laugh at us. We have packing lists stored on our PC. When we go on any vacation we edit the list depending on where and how long, print it out, and pack.

How anal can one get ! :D

I guess I must be blessed. I never use a packing list, often pack the night before the trip, and rarely forget anything really important. Even on my recent 30-day cruise, I think I only began pulling out the suitcases a day or so in advance of having to leave for the trip.

I guess my philosophy has always been why sweat the packing? It's not like I'm going to be spending a month in the Austrailian Outback where I have no access to stores. If I forget something, I can simply buy another. Surely it won't be anything that expensive.

Blue skies ...

--rita

you could ease the packing a bit if you just put some clothes in to the laundry -----------so many pairs of undershorts

That's a good idea ... except that undies don't take a lot of room. I often pack them into shoes and such so as to keep them (the shoes) from getting crushed. I don't generally worry about folding underwear until I'm unpacking in my cabin.

I could remove the grey suit, but if I do I'll find myself really wanting it. I could halve the number of polo shirts, but if I do that something will happen (spills, accidents, etc) and I'll run short ... and without access to a self-service laundry I can't run a quick load and will have to WAIT for the laundry to do it for me (48-72 hours). I could reduce the daytime-wear slacks by one ... but that's always a disaster waiting to happen: I'll be sure to tear the seat out of my only pair. Then ... what do I wear for shore excursions? I could remove the white dress shirt and just keep the blue dress shirt for informal nights. I don't normally like reducing my flexibility that way, but it would reduce my weight by 1 shirt and a hanger. Likewise, I could take just one formal shirt and just the black bow tie and cummerbund. But doing that is ALWAYS dangerous, for if I only take one formal shirt SOMETHING bad will happen. Murphy never sleeps. Neither do I ... not tonight, it would seem.

Our friends laugh at us. We have packing lists stored on our PC. When we go on any vacation we edit the list depending on where and how long, print it out, and pack.

How anal can one get ! :D

You mean there are actually people who don't do this??;)

Lougee kindly provided me his packing list a couple of years ago. Problem now is that I can't remember where I packed the packing list. :o Actually, we travel a lot for business so packing the essentials has become fairly simple and routine for us. Recently one of the CC'ers reported back from their cruise on the Volendam with the dress code by night. We printed that out and we'll both use it to make sure we cover the night to night requirements. The rest of the clothing (i.e., swim stuff, shorts, t-shirts) haven't ever been a problem....we normally pack way too many choices. We use our guest bedroom as a staging area and have been putting stuff in there for a month or more. Yesterday I dropped the DW off at the nail salon and while she was doing that I finished up the last minute shopping for meds, money, and toothpaste. Tomorrow we'll start the actual packing and will finish up Sunday, hopefully in a relaxed, unhurried manner. :rolleyes:

Archived