Ship tour requirements in Italy

hylasgirl

I have just been told that I cannot take my private tours in Italy.  I am beyond mad! I'd much rather be in a van with 6 of my family (2 of which are over 80) than 50 people on a tour bus.  NCL is claiming it is the Italian government, but my tour company is telling me this is NOT true!  Does anyone have any information on this? I find it hard to believe it's ok to spend $250 per couple to be "dropped off in Sorrento with time to explore on our own" but yet we aren't allowed to "explore on our own from a port"!!!  I am sooooo unhappy!  Does anyone know if this could be reason to cancel without penalty?  This is just not right that they impose this rule a month before sailing but after final payment! 

2 minutes ago, hylasgirl said:

I have just been told that I cannot take my private tours in Italy.  I am beyond mad! I'd much rather be in a van with 6 of my family (2 of which are over 80) than 50 people on a tour bus.  NCL is claiming it is the Italian government, but my tour company is telling me this is NOT true!  Does anyone have any information on this? I find it hard to believe it's ok to spend $250 per couple to be "dropped off in Sorrento with time to explore on our own" but yet we aren't allowed to "explore on our own from a port"!!!  I am sooooo unhappy!  Does anyone know if this could be reason to cancel without penalty?  This is just not right that they impose this rule a month before sailing but after final payment! 

Oh man, that is a major bummer! I'm sorry that happened. I'm sure this is an Italian government requirement and not something NCL dreamed up. I suspect NCL can point you to their website where it does say that conditions can change based on local port authorities. Still, this is disappointing, for sure. If you used a travel agent, I'd contact him/her. Unfortunately, with Covid-19 still very much in the picture, things like this can and do happen. I just got an email from our travel agent that two ports have been changed for our NCL cruise next month. Gotta roll with the changes, I'm afraid. Italy is an amazing country and even on a cruise ship-sponsored tour, you'll have fun. But I'm still sorry this happened to you. 😥

NCL will not provide any proof what so ever.  And my guides in Italy (one of the most recommended on this site) say that it is in no way true.  I mean, seriously, you can go to Italy as a tourist and wander to your hearts content with only a locator card.  Why would this be any different than a few tourists off a ship in a private van.  My tour company says the only thing required at this point is how many people can be in their vehicles.  Why would the Italian government want 50 people on a bus instead??  It just makes no sense. 

48 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Oh man, that is a major bummer! I'm sorry that happened. I'm sure this is an Italian government requirement and not something NCL dreamed up. I suspect NCL can point you to their website where it does say that conditions can change based on local port authorities. Still, this is disappointing, for sure. If you used a travel agent, I'd contact him/her. Unfortunately, with Covid-19 still very much in the picture, things like this can and do happen. I just got an email from our travel agent that two ports have been changed for our NCL cruise next month. Gotta roll with the changes, I'm afraid. Italy is an amazing country and even on a cruise ship-sponsored tour, you'll have fun. But I'm still sorry this happened to you. 😥

Thanks, yea... it just doesn't make any sense.  Paying $250 per couple to just be "dropped off in Sorrento to roam on your own" versus being on a private tour.... this doesn't compute with wanting you to stay with a group on a shore excursion. 

And NCL has no proof they can offer either. 

7 hours ago, hylasgirl said:

NCL will not provide any proof what so ever.  And my guides in Italy (one of the most recommended on this site) say that it is in no way true.  I mean, seriously, you can go to Italy as a tourist and wander to your hearts content with only a locator card.  Why would this be any different than a few tourists off a ship in a private van.  My tour company says the only thing required at this point is how many people can be in their vehicles.  Why would the Italian government want 50 people on a bus instead??  It just makes no sense. 

It supposedly has to do with the cruise bubble issue, but people are canceling and I think more will cancel after  the first cruise or two.... Also, What happens when people fly 10- 12  hrs and get turned away at port and cannot fly home and must be quarantined at their expense in Italy for 5-10 days?????  What if only 1 person ???  Insurance won't cover others.  How much $$$$?

What happens when people get to the ship and find out they cannot take their Private Excursions?  I don't want to witness that.. the boards will be on fire!  NCL will get ripped apart.

This is just getting to be way too much trouble.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:36 PM, casofilia said:

Could I suggest that you read http://www.italia.it/en/useful-info/covid-19-updates-information-for-tourists.html to get the up to date information.

Unfortunately I cannot see anything specific to cruise ships but I can imagine the waits if everyone had to go through the documentation checks to get off the ship.

Thanks for posting that link.  After reading the information, nowhere does it mention any restrictions for cruise ship passengers taking private shore excursions.  We are arriving 2 days prior to our NCL Epic cruise in Rome which embarks from Civi on 9/22.  It makes no sense that while on our own, we are free to wander and visit attractions, but once on the ship, our independence is arbitrarily restricted.

Hoping NCL sees the idiocy of this policy before our cruise.

• Like 2