Covid question

Jjg34219

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but I have a simple question. We live in Fl and the newly released 15 day Caribbean cruise from FL has caught my attention. If one tests positive while onboard,  what is the protocol? Is the person quarantined to cabin? 
We have a river cruise scheduled next May with final payment due in a few months, and really dont wanna have to reschedule that cruise next year and have more vouchers, so we are tempted to switch that cruise to this new opportunity. Again I apologize for not keeping up with all that Viking has done regarding testing positives.

It has been discussed extensively in these boards, but here is the link that shows the official Viking policy. That being said, sometimes Viking policy is overridden by local governments. For example, even though Viking policy says they won't quarantine others that test negative (except for traveling partners), Iceland apparently required them to quarantine the entire bus of passengers in contact with a guest that tested positive.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-faq.html

I think Viking opened up a can of worms when they implemented this contact tracing business on the ocean cruises. It gives governments free reign to do whatever they want with people who simply have the misfortune of being too near a passenger who tests positive. Bermuda doesn't quarantine contact traced individuals so why even contact trace if there is no outcome? There is no contact tracing on the Viking river cruises. Why is that? I work in a hospital and for the last 18 months have come into contact with countless positive covid people but have not gotten infected by using common practices such as masking, hand washing, etc. If we contact traced and quarantined, nobody would come to work. Time to ditch the contact tracing discs of doom.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, tsakishuman said:

I think Viking opened up a can of worms when they implemented this contact tracing business on the ocean cruises. It gives governments free reign to do whatever they want with people who simply have the misfortune of being too near a passenger who tests positive. Bermuda doesn't quarantine contact traced individuals so why even contact trace if there is no outcome? There is no contact tracing on the Viking river cruises. Why is that? I work in a hospital and for the last 18 months have come into contact with countless positive covid people but have not gotten infected by using common practices such as masking, hand washing, etc. If we contact traced and quarantined, nobody would come to work. Time to ditch the contact tracing discs of doom.

No contact tracing discs on Viking river cruises? That’s very interesting. I wonder why they’re required on ocean cruises, then? What’s the difference? 

49 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

No contact tracing discs on Viking river cruises? That’s very interesting. I wonder why they’re required on ocean cruises, then? What’s the difference? 

Could be due to the fact the when the initial problem arose back in 2020 - ocean cruises were almost exclusively singled out by the media when outbreaks were discovered.
Following that both the UK government and the CDC issued specific directives banning people from taking ocean cruises.

I don't think river cruising was ever identified specifically as a problem area.

It could be that Viking are aware that the spotlight will be on these Welcome Back ocean cruises and have implemented the contact tracing as a "Belt and Braces" exercise to  try to cover all the possible bases in their safety protocols.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tsakishuman said:

What’s the source that Viking is not using contact tracers on the river cruises?

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

We canceled our Malta cruise because of the onerous contact-tracing policy of Malta and what we read about the Iceland cruises as well.

Same policies will be in place for our Transatlantic!

Please don't think of cancelling!

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

We canceled our Malta cruise because of the onerous contact-tracing policy of Malta and what we read about the Iceland cruises as well.

I know it is a tough decision.  We went ahead with our trip and everything went smoothly.  But, it was nerve wracking preparing and always knowing you could come back to your room one day and find a note that could change your trip.  We are thankful it didn't happen to our trip and we really did have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeyB said:

Same policies will be in place for our Transatlantic!

Please don't think of cancelling!

Not out of Malta. It wasn’t Viking’s policies—which seemed reasonable—but they were over-ridden by Iceland and Malta. Grrrr…..don’t get me started!🙈

• Like 1