Weight Limit for Luggage?? Senior Moment??

JJPacer

I am showing my lack of sophistication here, or my forgetfulness. The last time we flew, I remember a size restriction on carry on luggage, but I don't remember a weight restriction. Maybe it was all done right in front of me, and I didn't realize it. I have read several comments about paying a penalty if your luggage is over weight. Kindly refresh my memory on this topic. What is the weight limit? What do you do, weigh your luggage on the bathroom scale? If you pay a fine, how much is it?

Under these circumstances, I should leave the kitchen sink at home! icon10.gif

JJ: many, if not most US airlines have imposed a 50lb limit per checked bag, even for international flights and further limit each passenger to 2 checked bags. Also, there is generally a 62 linear inch limit per checked bag, as well (h + w + d). The airlines impose monetary penalties for exceeding those limits and they do monitor the weight more so than the size, IMO, from what I read.

As far as carry-ons, most airlines limit you to one carry-on bag & a "personal item" (purse, small shoulder bag, etc). There is a bin at the gate to see if your carry-on will fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin. My experience is that the US airlines are generally lax about enforcing the carry-on weight (if there is a weight limit) or size limits.

Probably the best source of accurate information for your air travel is your airline's web site, but hope this helps you a bit!

DW is one of those "everything but the kitchen sink" packers, so we always flirt w/ the 50# limits. Prior to our most recent trip she ordered a luggage scale from Travelsmith or Magellan (both have websites). It's basically a handle with a round weight dial under that and then a hook that you slide thru your bag handle. You lift the bag using the handle of the scale and the weight registers on the dial. Was very easy to use and was pretty accurate as we kept all bags under 50# each.

Think it cost less than $20.

I am showing my lack of sophistication here, or my forgetfulness. The last time we flew, I remember a size restriction on carry on luggage, but I don't remember a weight restriction. Maybe it was all done right in front of me, and I didn't realize it. I have read several comments about paying a penalty if your luggage is over weight. Kindly refresh my memory on this topic. What is the weight limit? What do you do, weigh your luggage on the bathroom scale? If you pay a fine, how much is it?

Have you tried visiting your airlines' web site? here, for example, are Continental's guidelines:

http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/baggage/default.asp

I didn't realize the arlines had gotten so @&*@#*. I'm glad we learned about it BEFORE going to the airport with the kitchen sink, and have our real hair color reveled from the shock. Worse yet, spending our Bingo money on fines!

I love these boards and the people on them. The information is so valuable. I will definitely check our airline's website.

CC's are great!

Archived