Telehealth Testing with BinaxNOW

I think Royal Caribbean has finally done a nice job explaining that they will accept the BinaxNOW Ag Card Home Test completed by a telehealth provider. 

Has anyone used this as a testing option? If so, could you share a bit about your experience. I’m specifically looking at eMed. 

The guy that blogs about RCI, but we can’t share his site here, did the testing and blogged about it. 

Google Search for: I tried the at home Covid-19 test

He sails all the time. I trust his input. 🙂

Edited by barbeyg
  • Thanks 1

It's real easy, just a couple swirls of the nostrils and put it in the reagent embedded in cardboard.

The only catch that took RC a while to finalize was the supervision part, where you essentially do a zoom call with someone who verifies you are who you are and you are actually doing the test right (mostly making sure you aren't faking the test).

59 minutes ago, lauren28 said:

I think Royal Caribbean has finally done a nice job explaining that they will accept the BinaxNOW Ag Card Home Test completed by a telehealth provider. 

Has anyone used this as a testing option? If so, could you share a bit about your experience. I’m specifically looking at eMed. 

Yes. We used it yesterday. It's not for a cruise but for another trip; we will also use before we cruise. 

We signed up at eMed and purchased the package of 6 tests. You MUST sign up each person who will be using a test when you order as they arrive with a prescription sticker specific to the individual. Each person using the test also must register and download the

Navica app.

It took about 7 minutes to get hooked up with our proctor. Although we had read the dirty carefully they were explained well to us.

we  performed the tests separately . Negative results in 15 minutes; we were then emailed and a QR code shows up on our NAVICA app.

it was an absolute breeze and much better supervised by video than my Rite Aid drive thru test was.

Tests are 25$ and they only come in packs of 6 and are delivered by FedEx. There is a lot of info at eMed AND when I had 4 questions they were all answered within several hours via email.

I'm a nurse practitioner and am completely comfortable with this method. Kudos to Abbott . We are taking 2 tests each with us overseas tomorrow as they are accepted by the CDC and American Airlines, Delta and a few others for return to the US .

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, forgotmyCCname said:

You MUST sign up each person who will be using a test when you order as they arrive with a prescription sticker specific to the individual. Each person using the test also must register and download the Navica app.

Must each person download the Navica app?  Can't you switch account name?

The reason I am asking is because my kids do not have smart phones.  We have more people in the family than the number of devices that can download and run apps.

2 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Yes. We used it yesterday. It's not for a cruise but for another trip; we will also use before we cruise. 

We signed up at eMed and purchased the package of 6 tests. You MUST sign up each person who will be using a test when you order as they arrive with a prescription sticker specific to the individual. Each person using the test also must register and download the

Navica app.

It took about 7 minutes to get hooked up with our proctor. Although we had read the dirty carefully they were explained well to us.

we  performed the tests separately . Negative results in 15 minutes; we were then emailed and a QR code shows up on our NAVICA app.

it was an absolute breeze and much better supervised by video than my Rite Aid drive thru test was.

Tests are 25$ and they only come in packs of 6 and are delivered by FedEx. There is a lot of info at eMed AND when I had 4 questions they were all answered within several hours via email.

I'm a nurse practitioner and am completely comfortable with this method. Kudos to Abbott . We are taking 2 tests each with us overseas tomorrow as they are accepted by the CDC and American Airlines, Delta and a few others for return to the US .

You didn’t purchase a 6 pack per person correct? Does it allow you to register different individuals within your 6 pack? 

3 hours ago, lauren28 said:

I used this product last month to satisfy “return” testing from Cabo. Super simple, GREAT product. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lauren28 said:

You didn’t purchase a 6 pack per person correct? Does it allow you to register different individuals within your 6 pack? 

Yes! When you start to fill out the order form it allows you to list up to 3 users. We listed two and when our package came there were 3 test kits prescribed to each of us.

You cannot add or change the users after purchase .

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PCHENG said:

The reason I am asking is because my kids do not have smart phones.  We have more people in the family than the number of devices that can download and run apps.

9 hours ago, PCHENG said:

Only 18 and up can use the NAVICA app platform ,minors are added to the parent's account as a "managed account "

Go to the FAQ section at EMed and there is a great explanation.

If you still have questions you can email them or call. They were super quick to answer me

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Only 18 and up can use the NAVICA app platform ,minors are added to the parent's account as a "managed account "

Go to the FAQ section at EMed and there is a great explanation.

If you still have questions you can email them or call. They were super quick to answer me

F5A7E407-40A2-49AE-A57D-4F8833C65A02.thumb.png.3ebfa3687efc9bcf78f1972d32cbef31.png

0DE8AF9E-C7A7-46E7-BBE4-1237B99FA9C3.png

61537E1D-78E7-496D-BAE3-3DCC1A470E2E.png

ED7B6ADD-9D03-41B4-826E-FC90285D915C.png

6C26C3B7-2676-4D5E-B58C-EB82968AD449.png

3C5A5A02-1391-4763-BB31-371B34B23889.png

• Thanks 1

I was just looking for this info yesterday. I ordered a six pack last night for our upcoming Odyssey sailing in a couple weeks....awesome to hear the positive easy reviews. Yes...added both our names when ordering...got a message when ordered that said this is a prescription item that has to be approved by eMed first. So yes, I assumed when I saw that message that the tests can not be used by anyone else. This morning I received an e-mail saying the order was received and would be notified when shipped. The only thing I have slight concern on is their is a note that these tests should be stored at proper temperature...think it was something like 35-85F and that you should keep that in consideration when shipping not to have them sitting outside as it can effect the test. Well the daily high here in FL has been hitting 96F daily. I am going to back this up by reserving a CVS rapid test slot also just as a back-up.

On 8/22/2021 at 2:37 PM, forgotmyCCname said:

Navica app.

Is there an expiration date?  In other words, can we buy the 6 pack now, use it around Thanksgiving for 2 and then use it again in January for 2?

• Thanks 1

Hopefully someone who has kids and used this can elaborate.  The way I read it is you can have 2 adults on the prescription for the 6 pack but kids under 18 can still use them if you make them an account under your name in managed account on their app.  

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Is there an expiration date?  In other words, can we buy the 6 pack now, use it around Thanksgiving for 2 and then use it again in January for 2?

They are FDA approved to have a one year expiration from manufacturing date.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

2 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

They are FDA approved to have a one year expiration from manufacturing date.  

That is exactly my plan....we have our Sept and another planned for Dec.

Edited by bajathree

9 minutes ago, dominicr said:

Hopefully someone who has kids and used this can elaborate.  The way I read it is you can have 2 adults on the prescription for the 6 pack but kids under 18 can still use them if you make them an account under your name in managed account on their app.  

Contact EMed directly if you have questions about kids. They are extremely responsive. 
Or check the FAQ on the website.

24 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

They have an expiration date and it's confusing to me because FDA issued an extension to one year from manufacture date but I can't find out when my kits actually expire.  I ordered the 6-pack of kits last week and they arrived yesterday.  All of them have a use by date of 10/15/2021 stamped on the boxes, with a manufacture date of 2/7/2021.  But on the shipping carton there is a sticker saying the use by date has been extended and gives a QR code for more details.  The QR code goes to the letter from the FDA but it offers no specifics.  I guess I'll have to contract eMed.

26 minutes ago, Anton said:

They have an expiration date and it's confusing to me because FDA issued an extension to one year from manufacture date but I can't find out when my kits actually expire.  I ordered the 6-pack of kits last week and they arrived yesterday.  All of them have a use by date of 10/15/2021 stamped on the boxes, with a manufacture date of 2/7/2021.  But on the shipping carton there is a sticker saying the use by date has been extended and gives a QR code for more details.  The QR code goes to the letter from the FDA but it offers no specifics.  I guess I'll have to contract eMed.

Think you just answered your own question..."manufacture date of 2/7/2021"....."FDA issued an extension to one year from manufacture date" = expiration date of 2/7/2022

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dominicr said:

I called eMed yesterday (super quick customer service!) and asked specifically about using the 6 pack for 4 different people, even though you can only register 3 names per 6 pack. He said that the tests can be used for anyone who registers an account in the Navica app. So....we are going to give it a try! I'll try to report back if I find out otherwise! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5