Private tours in Italy?

SophieM

I know this has probably been addressed elsewhere,  but I’m not coming up with an answer, so apologies in advance. Does anyone know what the current stance is in Italy for cruise passengers booking their own private tours vs. using the ship’s tours? We are sailing 10/26, so I know there could be changes between now and then—fingers crossed we will be seeing some light in another couple of months. 

Thanks very much!
Jane

14 minutes ago, SophieM said:

I know this has probably been addressed elsewhere,  but I’m not coming up with an answer, so apologies in advance. Does anyone know what the current stance is in Italy for cruise passengers booking their own private tours vs. using the ship’s tours? We are sailing 10/26, so I know there could be changes between now and then—fingers crossed we will be seeing some light in another couple of months. 

Thanks very much!
Jane

We are on the October 14 Venice (now Trieste) to Barcelona cruise on Marina.  I was told a week or so ago that as of that time, private tours were permitted.  I even made contact with a tour operator, who told me they are up and running and have some tours booked.  I have not booked anything yet.

Tom & Judy

If all goes well, we are leaving for a land trip to Italy at the end of September.  So far hotels, restaurants and some tourist attractions the require reservations  have been booked without a problem.   Just make sure you can get a refund if things and/or procedures change.  I hope we all get there in the fall and have a good time!

• Like 1

An update—if I am understanding correctly the information given to me by a tour operator in Italy, currently, 8-9 passenger vans may only accommodate 4 passengers, or 6 if all are related. No one may be seated by the driver. I haven’t checked to see what other countries are doing but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same. 

Having just returned from Europe (not Italy) I would sound out a big caution that European rules are constantly changing!  Travelers/cruisers need to keep up with almost daily changes and be very alert as the travel date approaches.  

Hank