Scuba diving in Puerto Rico, St Maarten or Tortola

gschwartz001

My husband and I are scheduled to sail in December on Celebrity. Currently I do not see any options to dive at any of our ports. Our scheduled stops are San Juan (late afternoon arrival), St Maarten and Tortola. We have never dove at any of these ports previously. I understand we do not know yet if we can use third party excursions but assuming we can, any recommendations for dive shops in these ports that take cruise ship passengers? Alternatively do you recommend using ship excursion to dive if one is even available?

I won't be much help here.

I've not been to Tortola.

I can tell you that for San Juan there is in essence no scuba close (some hotels have diving but it's not worth bothering with), and as you noted the ships typically come in later in the day. 

For St. Maarten, There is some good diving there on the Dutch side (the French side is a hassle to get to,and not worth the extra effort).  Even before COVID, the dive operators had been affected by a damaging hurricane.  I used to use Octopus Diving, but they became unreliable.  One user here reported good results with Dive Adventures there. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• 3 weeks later...

St Maarten: Many dive shops.  I have dived with Aqua Mania, and have booked another excursion with them in December.  Recommend.

San Juan.  As omeinv posted, not much close.  RCL occasionally posts a Discover Scuba shore excursion with Scuba Dogs in the marine park (walking distance from the pier.  On my previous COVID canceled cruise I had independently booked a City Night dive with them.  Dive at 7PM, back to the ship before 9.  I will do this one again, as night dives are a blast.