Non-refundable cruise fares...

rocketship

Hello! We are entertaining the idea of going on a cruise in October. Many of these low low rates we are seeing have "Non-refundable cruise fare" listed on the rate.  I cannot seem to find out information about this. I understand that they will not refund it if something happens, however, will they apply the money you paid to a future cruise? Or do you just completely lose the money?

Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, rocketship said:

Hello! We are entertaining the idea of going on a cruise in October. Many of these low low rates we are seeing have "Non-refundable cruise fare" listed on the rate.  I cannot seem to find out information about this. I understand that they will not refund it if something happens, however, will they apply the money you paid to a future cruise? Or do you just completely lose the money?

Thanks for your help!

Idk if you just book now knowing the terms and change your mind next month, you can move it. No hard and fast rules. .. possibly if you say you cant meet the covid protocols.

The other thing booking a nonrefundable rate is once past final payment if the rate drops you are out of luck. I got 2 like that and both rates plummeted. Luckily my vista rate finally went back up today, was killed me to see it hundreds of dollars lower. My breeze dropped $75 and all I can do is watch. 

My 2nd leg breeze is early saver so i can and did price match and got obc.

If it's a totally nonrefundable fare .. cant price match after final payment, though sometimes you can upgrade. Find a price you are ok with .. if it's a final price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocketship said:

Thanks for your help!

Travel insurance will reimburse non-refundable fees if you cancel for a covered reason. The Cancel for Any Reason part of the Carnival policy ought to give you FCC unless they have rules against it for non-refundable fares. I don’t know about that because the CFAR provision is not part of the insurance coverage, rather it is a benefit offered by the cruise line.

Traveling with insurance might be a good idea anyway these days.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Travel insurance will reimburse non-refundable fees if you cancel for a covered reason. The Cancel for Any Reason part of the Carnival policy ought to give you FCC unless they have rules against it for non-refundable fares. I don’t know about that because the CFAR provision is not part of the insurance coverage, rather it is a benefit offered by the cruise line.

Traveling with insurance might be a good idea anyway these days.

Thanks for the response. We have never used travel insurance before but this is definitely a trip we would buy it. 

I am more worried about if carnival cancels the cruise. These rates are so cheap and with them making the fares “non-refundable” it has me paranoid they might foresee a future shutdown. We wouldn’t cancel on our end. 

13 minutes ago, rocketship said:

Thanks for the response. We have never used travel insurance before but this is definitely a trip we would buy it. 

I am more worried about if carnival cancels the cruise. These rates are so cheap and with them making the fares “non-refundable” it has me paranoid they might foresee a future shutdown. We wouldn’t cancel on our end. 

If Carnival cancels, they have to refund everyone. In the past, people had a choice of FCC or cash.  I don’t think that will happen by October, but you are smart to know your options before you pay for a non-refundable cruise.

• Like 1

To me non-refundable means just that, unless of course the ship doesn't sail.  Realize port fees and taxes would refunded no matter what.

We booked an October N-R cruise.  I am taking them at their word, since words mean things.  Of course would ask for some consideration if WE cancelled,  but would not expect it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

To me non-refundable means just that, unless of course the ship doesn't sail.  Realize port fees and taxes would refunded no matter what.

We booked an October N-R cruise.  I am taking them at their word, since words mean things.  Of course would ask for some consideration if WE cancelled,  but would not expect it.

You are correct not to expect any consideration if you cancel a non-refundable fare.   Words do mean things, and there is not much wiggle room in that definition.

Insurance is an option or check your credit card to see if it offers travel benefits. If so, there is a solution you already have without paying another premium. Dig out that old “Guide to Benefits” or look it up online to check the covered reasons, but be aware  it will not offer any medical benefits for travel.

If that does not matter to you, and you are only concerned about a possible cancellation, maybe your credit card can help.

The other thing I've run into I'll call opportunity lost.

After I was booked vista and b2b breeze, 8 day cruises were offered at a much better price, but I was booked nonrefundable. Had I known the 8 day prices that would be offered I'd have gone with those instead.  

Or even 4 other sept and oct vista dates were cheaper than the date I was booked. .. that's what I mean about opportunity lost .. you cant just move around to the best priced deal later on once you are booked and past final payment.