NCL Encore - Alaska Review - 8/28 - 9/4 2021

LoveByrds

I have a few things to add to this thread, I was on the cruise with 3 others.

1 - We were not able to print out docs at any point and when registering with eurofins, we never got barcode. It led to annoying conversations at each step of checkin to confirm we were on the cruise. Looking up by name work however. And check in apart from this was very smooth, never got stuck in line behind people. We did cover test at pier 66. The testing process is a little looser goose, don't sweat not knowing it, or where the testing places are, you can figure it out pretty easy

2 - Flew in night before any stayed at the Marriott. Stay an extra night after the cruise too. What a good hotel and so close too. Simply being able to walk across the the street was magic. Jessie even got me checked in on Sat morning when we returned at 0900 since a room was ready.

3 - The food was excellent at garden cafe. Cagneys was good, French place the service was awful but the food good, and the Teppanyaki was average food but great chef banter. Garden cafe has great selection of Indian food every meal, and for breakfast they also have British bacon! The local was also good, had the wings. I've seen a few reports that food was average and I just can't agree with it.

4 - Norwegian did an excellent job with Covid protocols. The staff seemed really happy to be back sailing and at 60% capacity, there were opportunities to really talk to them. It didn't surprise me a few of the crew caught covid, after overhearing some idiots in ship and at Marriott I firmly believe there is a small subset of folks running around with fake vaccine cards. However the cruise itself did not feel risky in the slightest.

5 - Kinky boots was fabulous. Seen reports it went on too long, can't agree, it was enthralling. If you can get an opportunity to see it, I highly recommend.

6 - Don't be like me, make sure you have your vaccine card before you pack. I found out mine was missing the day before I flew to Seattle and after a mini panic I was able to get a replacement within 30 mins from Hillsborough county in Florida.

7 - Skagway. I did red onion in the morning and had a lot of time after. I talked to one of the madams at the brothel and she recommended a walk I had sort of an idea to do anyway. If you head out from ship and stay right, you come to a walk way to Lake Dewey. I did this myself and it was 3 hours of pure bliss, not another person to be seen. Steep walk but totally worth it, check it out on google maps. It's a great walk and free.

Lastly, they are ironing out some kinks, it won't go perfect, but a the turn of the year we were in a bad place with no vaccine and in September I was cruising. I can let stuff slide. I could cry for the staff though who seem to happy to be back. And remember, washy washy!

Looked forward to seeing Seattle on the 5th. Sadly disappointed. What a dump. Victrola Coffee on corner of Pine and 3rd was really nice though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Old & Retired said:

So you showed up to the pier with no printed cruise docs in hand?

P.S.  You are correct.  Seattle is now a dump.  Used to be so beautiful.

Correct, we had no docs printed, just out passport.

For COVID test I could log into eurofins and it showed we were not he cruise but there was no bar code so I have no idea what that even looks like. However the testing place also found us by name and ID.

The no edocs thing worried us. Leading up to the cruise, every day it said the edocs were not ready yet. Then on the day of the cruise the entire cruise disappeared from the website login. A call to Norwegian said this is normal because we were now "on the cruise" because that was day if departure, even though we hadn't checked in. It was minor process issue and didn't affect the checkin flow overall which was good. Just more annoying and required a nervous call to Norwegian just before leaving for the ship.

Another thing came to mind. There were 4 of us, 2 couples under same reservation and the checkin website annoyingly kept changing the contact address and phone number to the last person checking in, not the person who made the booking. So we had to change it back by calling in.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 9:28 AM, notworkste said:

Correct, we had no docs printed, just out passport.

Thank you for chiming in with your experience! Great points!!!

My mom accidentally packed her boarding docs in her suitcase. The app not having it available on check-in day is a huge hassle, hopefully they fix that. It took mom a tiny bit little longer to get thru each check-in point, but it was fine. 

I'd suggest getting a screenshot of the barcode 1 day before your cruise. (And all other important docs.) On the app it was difficult to find...I can't remember if I had to get it from the webpage or app. It was an orange button at the bottom of one of the pages. I took a screenshot, because internet is not always reliable. 

Screenshot_20210825-224658_Norwegian.thumb.jpg.ff519770f07e63831e1bdc0bb79656b0.jpg

If anyone can add to this info, I'm sure it would help others. 

I've been working on posting YouTube videos from our cruise. It's a bit harder to do on my phone then I thought it would be. 

If anyone is interested in hearing about the other ports (Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau) or have questions about the ship let me know.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 9:17 AM, notworkste said:

5 - Kinky boots was fabulous. Seen reports it went on too long, can't agree, it was enthralling. If you can get an opportunity to see it, I highly recommend.

So they ARE doing Kinky Boots now. Hasn't showed up yet on the NCL site for me. Do you happen to remember the performance schedule? Really want to see it - loved it on Broadway!

11 minutes ago, 2 Fun Guys said:

So they ARE doing Kinky Boots now. Hasn't showed up yet on the NCL site for me. Do you happen to remember the performance schedule? Really want to see it - loved it on Broadway!

No.  This report was from an Encore cruise 2 weeks ago.  Kinky boots and Choir of Man were both suspended last week.  When they are back is anybody's guess.  It will be when the cast is in compliance with NCL's strict covid protocols.

1 minute ago, Old & Retired said:

No.  This report was from an Encore cruise 2 weeks ago.  Kinky boots and Choir of Man were both suspended last week.  When they are back is anybody's guess.  It will be when the cast is in compliance with NCL's strict covid protocols.

Thanks for the quick reply!  Disappointing that they are suspended, but not nearly as upsetting as knowing that anyone is ill. I hope they are all okay. Glad they are keeping to the strict protocols.

8 hours ago, 2 Fun Guys said:

Kinky Boots is back on.  @wink1posted a few minutes ago that it is in the schedule so you might want to post your question to him/her.

Loved KB on Broadway as well!  Hope you enjoy it on the ship.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LoveByrds said:

Thank you for chiming in with your experience! Great points!!!

My mom accidentally packed her boarding docs in her suitcase. The app not having it available on check-in day is a huge hassle, hopefully they fix that. It took mom a tiny bit little longer to get thru each check-in point, but it was fine. 

I'd suggest getting a screenshot of the barcode 1 day before your cruise. (And all other important docs.) On the app it was difficult to find...I can't remember if I had to get it from the webpage or app. It was an orange button at the bottom of one of the pages. I took a screenshot, because internet is not always reliable. 

Screenshot_20210825-224658_Norwegian.thumb.jpg.ff519770f07e63831e1bdc0bb79656b0.jpg

If anyone can add to this info, I'm sure it would help others. 

You do know that barcode gives the information you have scrubbed out? 1789578?? ...... I wont give the last two digits but you did.