Which line would you go to for a less formal experience

cruisenewbies

cruisenewbies, If you like X, why not stick with what you love? There is alternative casual dining available, so on the two formal nights, you could simply choose that as your evening dining venue. I am not trying to discourage you from trying other lines, but you have stated that you have already received a bad vibe from your travel agent and that you like X.

After a baby, EVERYTHING changes. This could be your last REAL vacation for some time. Look at all your options and pick a line based upon what you really want. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful vacation and bring home your best memories of couplehood. :)

Let us know what you decide -- and what criteria you used to make your decision. Good luck!

Cheers,

We have been on both NCL and Celebrity (OK, only one time each :) ) and I have to say, we enjoyed both lines. NCL is what you make it. We enjoyed the specialty restaurants several nights, we were always able to find a quiet spot and we thought their entertainment was great.

I don't understand why many people put down NCL, they have a good product to offer. I'd not be happy with a travel agent who snickered at my choices, especially without an explanation. If they haven't been on that particular ship, they have no right to give any opinion at all. I know my husband had sailed NCL back in the 70's and he was unimpressed at that time. But, when we sailed on NCL Star, we went with appprehension, because of his experience, we were very pleasantly surprised. As much as I like formal nights, it was a pleasure to opt out and not haul along all the formal gear.

A cruise is what you make of it, even our worst cruise we found some things to be enjoyable. We plan on cruising as many lines as possible and are not loyal to one brand. Why not give it a go and see for yourself?

I'm fairly new to cruising, I only have 3 under my belt. My son and my DH returned yesterday from the 7 day E. Caribbean on the Infinity. We loved it, but we sailed in November on the Norwegian Sun and loved it too. They both have goods and betters....no real bads.

For a less formal, more relaxing cruise, I think the Norwegian is a great choice! We thought the food was wonderful on Norwegian, the casual dress made things more relaxing honestly. Prime rib, filet mignon, creme brulee, smallish lobster, beef wellington - to die for soups, fabulous buffets too. I was also a big fan of the many dining choices on the Sun. Room service was minimal. I hear people on the boards say people show up to dinner in rags, but that was not the case in my experience. I thought people were tasteful, but relaxed....like country club casual. It was also nice to just have a table for 2 when we were exhausted from a port day and didn't really feel like socializing. We had 4 sea days on the sun and they had a great band by the pool, it really was like paradise. Tipping is automatic and hassle free, but we found the service to be outstanding.

The Infinity is definitely more upscale- bigger shrimp, thicker cuts of prime rib, fabulous lobster tails and more personal service - the whole dining experience is like going to the opera. It is very rehearsed, and felt special. The specialty restaurant was an absolute dream. We had fun dressing up and even our son was in a tuxedo. In the dining room, we were seated with another threesome and they were delightful. The buffet was great at lunch although a bit repetitive. Salad bar, pasta bar, pizza bar, burgers every single day. The breakfast was the only part of the trip that I almost dreaded! The worst eggs, raw bacon yuck. I stuck with bagels. They had salmon on everything possible which I thought was interesting...omlets, pizza, pasta. The sushi bar was a wonderful treat in the evening. The room service was great too. We ordered several times for lunch. We had the late seating so I loved having a nibble at 6:00. I found the tipping piece to be a little bit of a hassle. We had to run all over the ship chasing folks down with the little envelopes. It was awkward. The ship was beautiful and the concierge class amenities were certainly a plus.

Also, depending on your age, you might find a better fit on one or the other. We felt (in our mid-30s) that we were about the youngest people on the Infinity by about 25 years. It didn't bother us, but it was notable. The jewelry show by the pool was also interesting. I don't mean jewelry for sale, I mean women are wearing tens of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry to lounge by the pool! I found that odd. I'm a little less glitzy of a gal than that.

So, it just really depends on what you want. I think both cruise lines have a lot to offer. If I want a more relaxing, casual cruise, next time I'll go Norwegian. If I want the glamor, I'll choose Celebrity.

Archived