Question on cruising and not owning a credit card...

Buffy2323

Kind of hard to imagine because I travel so much for a living. Especially being in another country I'd hate to have my checking or savings account tied to a debit/check card. Also, can you rent a car without a credit card?

You can do anything with a debit card that you can do with a credit card up to your limit which, as noted by an earlier poster, can be raised by asking your bank. The only difference is that you have to actually have the cash in your account. I don't know for certain but I would think that if you have an automatic rollover from another account (savings, etc) that would give you a lot of flexibility.

There are some banks that will up your limit on your check card just like cc companies do...

My husband has been with wells fargo since before they were wells fargo. He now has a gold check card (I know, ohh la la :rolleyes: ) and when he got the new card last time, his daily ATM withdrawl limit went up and so did the daily spending point of sale limit.

Yeah, our card is a Wells Fargo Gold check card too...still had a limit. Like I said though...not often that I try to purchase windows with it! :rolleyes: Daily life requirement, the limits are usually fairly reasonable and easy to stay within them. And as others have said, if you think that you need more, just call your bank and they will work with you.

Kind of hard to imagine because I travel so much for a living. Especially being in another country I'd hate to have my checking or savings account tied to a debit/check card. Also, can you rent a car without a credit card?

Yes, you can rent a car with a debit card, as long as it is a Visa or MasterCard debit card... I do it frequently. I also travel quite a bit, although most of my travel expenses are run through the company, I use my debit/visa card very frequently. I MIGHT write a dozen checks a year... everything else I use my debit card for... have not had a credit card in years, and don't miss it a bit. Once they came out with the Visa/debit card, I had no use for credit cards any longer... My daily limit is $1000, but I have had it raised without a problem... I actually got a great discount on my mattress a few years ago because of that limit :D So it can be done, and life is no different now than it was WITH credit cards :D

To the OP, not a problem at all as others have mentioned. I used cash to secure my S&S account on 2 cruises... it wasn't a problem at all. There is a minimum she will need to put down (between $200-$350 depending on length of cruise) but she will not have a problem... just have her go to the pursers desk once she boards to set up her account... not a problem at all!!!

Cotton:

If it works for you -- great!!!!

For me, it's a pretty good deal using other people's money -- for free with no fees whatsoever -- provided, of course, you pay in full each month. As I said, I get, in essence, up to a 45 day loan for free each billing cycle, cah back on one card, airline miles on another, and if the card gets ripped off the bank covers me. And, knowing that I have $10K,$15K, $20K depending on the credit limit in case of emergency is a bit comforting.

My point is not to argue credit card vs debit card -- that's silly. My only point is that for me it IS hard to imagine life without a credit card because the banks, because of the tremendous competition, have made it such a good deal -- provided you pay off in full. Which, by the way, is what happens with a debit card.

Middle of last year they sent me convenience checks -- $20,000 no interest for 6 months. I got a $20,000 6-month CD, when it came due I sent the money back -- free money. It's not going to make you rich, but, hey, a dollar here, a dollar there -- soon it's real money.

Take care

CTMak

Cotton:If it works for you -- great!!!!

-- provided you pay off in full. Which, by the way, is what happens with a debit card.

I'm not debating, either:), but I am wondering what that last sentence meant...? I don't pay anything 'off'....whatever I'm purchasing simply comes out of my checking acct. via debit card. Explain, please?:confused:

Cotton:If it works for you -- great!!!!

-- provided you pay off in full. Which, by the way, is what happens with a debit card.

I'm not debating, either:), but I am wondering what that last sentence meant...? I don't pay anything 'off'....whatever I'm purchasing simply comes out of my checking acct. via debit card. Explain, please?:confused:

I think the OP meant that for CC's as long as you pay it off each month.. there is no issue.. that is the same with a debit card.. you need the funds to access and it is paid off ... JM2C

I wanted to add my 2 cents here. We have a visa debit card from our credit union our limit is $10,000 per day (if we have the funds available). We have used it on every vacation we have been on for the past 14 years. We have rented cars, houses, hotels. Paid for plane tickets and even cabs. If you can use a visa card, you can use our visa check card. We pay nothing for our checking or savings account. We pay no monthly fees or yearly fees (as some CC require). We prefer to know we own it and not have to worry about a statement at the end of the month. To each his own. But yes we even paid for the cruise with the check card. We have never ran into a problem. Well once, I was using it at the same time as my husband was using his and one of us got declined until we talked to the bank. They were just making sure it was us using it, same thing a CC company would do.

Anyway to the OP yes, your friend will be fine with just cash. Happy cruising all.

Thanks again to all for the tips. I do have one more question I hope someone can answer.

What if she puts say $350 in cash on her S&S card but then doesn't spend it all? She is a very thrify person and the amount required for her to put down may very well be higher than what she actually spends.

Thanks folks :)

What I find a bit frieghtening is the notion that a hold could be placed on the funds in your checking account if you only use a debit card. If they incorrectly place a very large hold... like $10,000 in stead of $1,000... then you don't have access to any of those cash funds. Of if they incorrectly withdrawl the $10,000 in stead of $1,000... they are holding your money until you prove to them they made the error.:eek:

The same is almost true for a credit card... except cash funds are not involved... only credit.

Could this happen with a Debit Card...?

I think that some people don't understand that just because you have a credit card, doesn't mean you have to charge debt up to your eyeballs. You can use it even essentially like a debit card, charge, keep track so you can pay it all off when the statement comes. A little self control is all you need!!

Have a good cruise!! Tell her to start saving!!! :p

What is self control...........lol

Thanks again to all for the tips. I do have one more question I hope someone can answer.

What if she puts say $350 in cash on her S&S card but then doesn't spend it all? She is a very thrify person and the amount required for her to put down may very well be higher than what she actually spends.

Thanks folks :)

She can settle funds the last night of the cruise or when she gets her final bill she will recieve a check for the difference.

Thanks for this info! I know she'll be relieved about this. If she had $100 left on her S&S card and had to spend it, I'd have one REALLY SICK friend driving home 10 hours the day of debarkation. I know that the money would go towards many shots in the bar.........

:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

How can you go through life without a credit card?

You can give them cash or travelers checks for your sign and sail however if you start to run low or run out mid cruise, the pursers desk will start paging you until you add more money.

Also, you can purchase a prepaid AmEx or Visa card. I think there is a $300 minimum purchase.

I was informed you couldn't use prepaid credit cards or gift cards?

Archived