Question on cruising and not owning a credit card...

Buffy2323

I will be cruising in October with a good friend who does not have and refuses to own a credit card. I know I saw something a while back about this but I can't seem to find any info. How does it work if you don't have a credit/debit card when you get a sign & sail card. Do you just give them cash when you sign in? Thanks for any help!!

How can you go through life without a credit card?

You can give them cash or travelers checks for your sign and sail however if you start to run low or run out mid cruise, the pursers desk will start paging you until you add more money.

Also, you can purchase a prepaid AmEx or Visa card. I think there is a $300 minimum purchase.

Thanks for the info. I agree, I don't know HOW she does it but she does! I'd think she'd keep one just simply to start acquiring a credit rating. She tried to buy a house recently and due to the zero credit score she was going to have a ridiculously HIGH interest rate. To each his own, I guess!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think that some people don't understand that just because you have a credit card, doesn't mean you have to charge debt up to your eyeballs. You can use it even essentially like a debit card, charge, keep track so you can pay it all off when the statement comes. A little self control is all you need!!

Have a good cruise!! Tell her to start saving!!! :p

I thought you could pre-pay into your account, just like prepaying your gratuties?

Yes you can.. but how do you do that if you don't have a CC.. I guess sending a cheque...:confused:

I am one who didn't have a CC for 18yrs... I survived.. I just got one recently not because I wanted it.. just for the convienence.. I have used it once.. and will be using it again tomorrow LOL... :D

Just something for your friend who doesn't want a CC.. in order to establish credit.. I am unsure how the US works.. but I know here in Canada we can get RRSP's thru the bank.. it is a loan.. you can get say 500.. and pay it back.. that will give her credit.. if in fact it works like that there:confused:

I thought you could pre-pay into your account, just like prepaying your gratuties?
Almost. When you pre-pay your gratuities that amount is added into your total fare and paid at final payment.

But when you pre-pay into your S&S account, Carnival holds whatever money you pay into it and places it on your account at boarding.

You're right Kelly, you can send them a check.

There is a minimum you have to have in your account at boarding if you're paying in cash (sorry, don't know off hand what those amounts are).

Thanks to all for the great suggestions, I'll forward the info on to my friend.

I agree, owning a credit card does not mean you have to go into debt. I own 2 cards and I charge EVERYTHING to them but pay them off each month. One is a GM card where I earn 5% on all charges that I make, I then can use that earned money to make a down payment on a new car. The other is my Bank of America card that I can redeem for travel, cash back, gift certificates, etc. Yes it can be a hassle to keep track of each month but the rewards far exceed the hassles. I'll soon have enough rewards on my card for a free flight, if I save about another year I can get a cruise for free. Not too shabby :)

:D My goodness, folks... It is that hard to imagine life without a credit card?:D

I cut up all my cards about 15 years ago. I purchase everything with my Visa debit card these days.

Cotton: Yeah it IS that hard to imagine. Putting aside the fact that renting a car, booking a hotel room, booking a cruise, sending flowers, is impossible without a cc and, while a VISA debit card is a substitute, it requires a relatively high checking account balance -- not the best use of funds,

A credit card gives you: 1. instantaneous purchasing power -- less than a second for authorization; 2. interest free money for up to 45 days depending when in your billing cycle you buy; 3. access to hard cash at any ATM not only in the US but anywhere in the world; 4. a variety of point schemes and loyalty programs that can get you airlines miles, gifts, hotel rooms, etc; 5. Emergency money in the event you're paycheck didn't clear into your checking account, or you just don't have enough and you are stranded;

Sure, people run up extraordinary debts on credit cards. But it's the discipline that's at fault -- not the product. If one can control oneself, a credit card is, literally, intesrest free money with no fees. What a deal.

CTMak

I agree that you *can* get by without credit cards so long as you have a debit card, but I can't FATHOM not having either, as is the case with my friend. She goes to the bank and withdraws money using a teller every time she needs money, now THAT is just crazy, LOL

I agree that the perks are just too good on a credit card, I couldn't imagine how I'd live without looking forward to those statements each month. Of course, I'd dread those statements if I didn't pay those debts off each month

:eek: :eek: :p :p

Visa Debit card...... it requires a relatively high checking account balance -- not the best use of funds,

CTMak:

I have five Visa Debit cards from four different banks and a minimum amount was never discussed. I do make sure charges are made as 'credit' and not 'debit' to avoid daily use fees.

And the problem that you can encounter to with the debit/check card - with the Visa logo for instance is what I am talking about - is, there is a daily spending limit on them. Even when it is run thru as a "credit". That's how stores will process them unless you specify otherwise with a pin number. That is not what I am talking about. Just running it thru as if it was a 'credit card.'

I use my debit/check card for everything - writing checks drives me bananas - too much to write and I try to rush thru it, and I get sloppy, hate that...Anyway, we have a "house acct" check book for home repairs/improvements. The checking acct is ONLY used for that purpose and has been for five years. Last fall we went to Home Depot to purchase 2 sets of windows for the front of the house, and just out of 'habit' I ran the debit/check card thru and it was denied. Not because I had used it already too much that day - not because the funds weren't available, cuz they were - it was too much to 'charge'/withdraw/whatever you want to call it, at once on it. I wrote a check then, out of the same acct and it was no problem.

The daily limit amount can be a hassle if you have to make even one big purchase.

I very, very rarely use an actual credit card, but it sure is a good thing to have in case of an emergency - an unforseen circumstance beyond your control!

I have five Visa Debit cards from four different banks and a minimum amount was never discussed. I do make sure charges are made as 'credit' and not 'debit' to avoid daily use fees.

Yeah, that's probably the case if it was never discussed, cuz the amount of daily use is fairly high. (ugh...like when I purchased windows :cool: yuck) Can't imagine many people really reach it just on an average day of grocery shopping, filling up the gas tank, picking up junk at Wally World. I don't even have a 'fee' for using it as an actual 'debit' card - for instance to get cash out unless I am 'out of network' or something. Otherwise, no charges if I am at the grocery store, Target etc...it is just processed like a credit card. If it is one of those touch screen things, yea, always click on the 'credit' button otherwise it will think you need to put in a pin # and all that...

But when you pre-pay into your S&S account, Carnival holds whatever money you pay into it and places it on your account at boarding.

You're right Kelly, you can send them a check.

There is a minimum you have to have in your account at boarding if you're paying in cash (sorry, don't know off hand what those amounts are).

I have pre-paid our gratuities. DH and I will use a credit card for our S&S account. My kids will have their own cash to put on their S&S accounts. How does that work? Will they take cash right as you board the ship or do they have to go to the purser's desk once onboard? Also, what do you put on the cruise documents where you're supposed to put credit card info?

I heard that you can purchase Funship dollars in advance and use those against your sign and sail account. I have a prepaid visa card I got from my credit union for my daughter. I can put what ever amount I want onto it. I try and keep $100 on it for her for emergencies. Try one of those. Call carnival and find out what minimum is required for the ship you will be on.

I have pre-paid our gratuities. DH and I will use a credit card for our S&S account. My kids will have their own cash to put on their S&S accounts. How does that work? Will they take cash right as you board the ship or do they have to go to the purser's desk once onboard? Also, what do you put on the cruise documents where you're supposed to put credit card info?

They will have to go to the Purser's desk and add cash to the sail and sign account. Depending on the length of the cruise, the minimum deposit varies. I suggest going to the Purser's desk immediately after boarding to get it over with.

Have a GREAT trip!!!

Cotton: Yeah it IS that hard to imagine. Putting aside the fact that renting a car, booking a hotel room, booking a cruise, sending flowers, is impossible without a cc.......

Well, I have to disagree. I do most of these things on a fairly regular basis, using my debit card, and believe me, it's NOT impossible.;)

A credit card gives you: 1. instantaneous purchasing power -- less than a second for authorization;...

I have the same purchasing power, and authorization IS given in less than a second, every time I use my card.

I also do not have a 'daily fee' of any kind. The only 'fee' I have is a $1.00 monthly charge on my checking account statement.

Anyhoo - to each his/her own. My way works for me.:)

There are some banks that will up your limit on your check card just like cc companies do...

My husband has been with wells fargo since before they were wells fargo. He now has a gold check card (I know, ohh la la :rolleyes: ) and when he got the new card last time, his daily ATM withdrawl limit went up and so did the daily spending point of sale limit.

Neither of us has a credit card (not that I haven't tried but because I have no credit history I can't get one right now) and we haven't missed it. I plan on prepaying our S&S account with funship dollars. Since our cruise is more than a year out, I'm going to buy little installments of them and apply them to the account every so often. I'm hoping to have several hundred on there once it's time for us to go.

:D My goodness, folks... It is that hard to imagine life without a credit card?:D

I cut up all my cards about 15 years ago. I purchase everything with my Visa debit card these days.

Kind of hard to imagine because I travel so much for a living. Especially being in another country I'd hate to have my checking or savings account tied to a debit/check card. Also, can you rent a car without a credit card?

Archived