Disembarkation Test - PCR

wendycook22

Hi Everyone, 

I read one individuals experience with disembarkation PCR testing (Canada requirement for re-entry). I am looking to see what others have experienced.  We would be disembarking on a Saturday, however not flying on until Monday.  We must take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of our flight to Canada.

My questions are: 

1.  Will Celebrity provide us with our test even if we have post cruise plans (our flights are through Celebrity - staying 2 nights post cruise) 
2.  What experience did you have when scheduling your tests pre-embarkation?  What day(s) were testing?  Was there flexibility or able to request the morning of disembarkation?  

3 How are the test results given?
4. What is on the test results provided by the Cruise line?  I seen some say there is no date/time stamps for the actual day the test was taken, it just notes the day the results were provided.  

I am trying to see if we can swing being tested onboard that would meet our pre-arrival testing requirements.  

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

@AlbertaCruisers has a couple of recent posts that will answer most of your questions. Here's one from the Canadian Cruisers board, which you should visit if you haven't already:

Thanks I didn't read through that post - I will look through it now.  I just seen one that was specifically about PCR testing and being Canadian.

I tried to search but the threads I pulled wasn't specific to my questions.   Thanks again for passing it along.

Upon reading that thread it is in fact one of the ones I already read.  It was helpful.  I am trying to see if there is consistency in the process.  She said there appeared to be no leniency in the test appointment scheduling, and that she did not have a date and time on her print out.  I am trying to see if others have experienced a similar situation, and if anyone had issues with the date on their test results print out showing the result date not the test date.  

1 minute ago, wendycook22 said:

Upon reading that thread it is in fact one of the ones I already read.  It was helpful.  I am trying to see if there is consistency in the process.  She said there appeared to be no leniency in the test appointment scheduling, and that she did not have a date and time on her print out.  I am trying to see if others have experienced a similar situation, and if anyone had issues with the date on their test results print out showing the result date not the test date.  

I did not ask to try and change the date of the test as the timing worked for us, but they had a whole process set up for everyone that needed tests for travel and including the unvaccinated kids that need tests, so I'm not sure that they would be able to change that for one couple.  If you get off the Ship Saturday and fly on Monday, it may be possible for them to do your test on the last day of your cruise.  That being said, they were really nice, and really tried to help as much as possible, so they may try and help you as much as possible.

I know that on Ovation of the Seas, one Canadian reported that their test was done on the last night of the cruise around 6 and their test results where in their room when they went back after supper.  In that case it didn't sound like they had many tests to do though, maybe just that one Canadian family.

In relation to a test of departure morning, I'm not sure that will be possible.  They do the test and they have to run it.  I understand from the nurse I spoke to that it can take up to two hours to get the result. 

For the date and time.  Our test result, which they said is the standard form for all Royal and Celebrity ships, did show the date the sample was taken (but not the time - which I now realize is fine and airlines are allowed to use 3 days and not 72 hours when no time is noted (link below)).  That being said, they actually ran the test on the next day and put the date and the time the test was ran on the second page of the results.  The ship felt that it was the date the test was ran that would matter not when the sample was taken.  I was not sure if that was correct as I understood it was the date you are swabbed that matters.  I ended up calling the Canada Health line and the gentleman I spoke to said it was the date the swab was taken that matters (so specimen collected ate) and not when the test was actually ran.  If you can get comfort that it is the date and the time when the test was run, that is for sure on the results.

For the result, the first page says "Royal Caribbean Group" and they said it is used for all Royal and Celebrity cruises.  The first page includes all your personal information, including your passport number and the ship name and it includes Specimen Details: Date Collected, Date Received and Date Reported.  The second page includes "Test Results" and includes Start Time and End Time.  If you find anything that suggests it is the date the test was run that matters and not when the specimen is collected, it would be great if you can report back, as that would be great information to have.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-issued-transport-canada/covid-19-guidance-material-air-operators-managing-travellers-coming-canada-transborder-international-airports#annex_d

• Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  I am completely fine if they are not able to accommodate a test time for us. I am definitely not trying to make the process more difficult for the staff.  I am just trying to wrap my head around the process travelers are experiencing.  I am trying to evaluate if I would need to plan for anther test in FLL or Miami.  I would definitely want to arrange for that ahead of time 🙂.   I believe it would work for us even if they do it the Friday (25th) of the cruise, as I believe based on the three days (72 hours) the Friday would work with a Monday departure (28th)? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wendycook22 said:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  I am completely fine if they are not able to accommodate a test time for us. I am definitely not trying to make the process more difficult for the staff.  I am just trying to wrap my head around the process travelers are experiencing.  I am trying to evaluate if I would need to plan for anther test in FLL or Miami.  I would definitely want to arrange for that ahead of time 🙂.   I believe it would work for us even if they do it the Friday (25th) of the cruise, as I believe based on the three days (72 hours) the Friday would work with a Monday departure (28th)? 

So, really the test is supposed to be administered no more than 72 hours from your scheduled departure from the US to Canada.  So if you are leaving Florida, at say 1:00 pm to fly to Canada on Monday, the test is supposed to be administered no earlier than 1:00 pm on Friday.  That being said, if Celebrity is still not adding the time the test was taken, just the date, based on that link I sent you, arguably anytime on Friday should be accepted by the airline, but I'm not sure if the airlines know that or not!  I printed out the screen shot that shows that 3 day wording and that it is from the "canada.ca" website, just in case the check in agent at the airport isn't aware of this wording, but I hope to not have to fight that battle as that could be a mess if they are only told of the 72 hour option and not this other potential if there is no time stamp.  If they start adding in the time, the 72 hours would apply.

2 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

So, really the test is supposed to be administered no more than 72 hours from your scheduled departure from the US to Canada.  So if you are leaving Florida, at say 1:00 pm to fly to Canada on Monday, the test is supposed to be administered no earlier than 1:00 pm on Friday.  That being said, if Celebrity is still not adding the time the test was taken, just the date, based on that link I sent you, arguably anytime on Friday should be accepted by the airline, but I'm not sure if the airlines know that or not!  I printed out the screen shot that shows that 3 day wording and that it is from the "canada.ca" website, just in case the check in agent at the airport isn't aware of this wording, but I hope to not have to fight that battle as that could be a mess if they are only told of the 72 hour option and not this other potential if there is no time stamp.  If they start adding in the time, the 72 hours would apply.

When you complete the ArriveCAN questionnaire, what information does it require regarding your test? Date and time or just the date, along with the other pertinent information? 

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

When you complete the ArriveCAN questionnaire, what information does it require regarding your test? Date and time or just the date, along with the other pertinent information? 

Nothing was required to be inputted into the ArriveCAN app about the test, you just had to confirm you had it (I think it was just a yes/no answer about having a negative molecular test not more than 72 hours before flight departure).  You had to input your vaccine information and upload PDFs of your vaccine confirmations. The only person that looked at our test results was the Air Canada check in lady in Fort Lauderdale. I believe in most cases someone in Customs in Toronto is asking as well to see it but not for us. 

13 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Nothing was required to be inputted into the ArriveCAN app about the test, you just had to confirm you had it (I think it was just a yes/no answer about having a negative molecular test not more than 72 hours before flight departure).  You had to input your vaccine information and upload PDFs of your vaccine confirmations. The only person that looked at our test results was the Air Canada check in lady in Fort Lauderdale. I believe in most cases someone in Customs in Toronto is asking as well to see it but not for us. 

Thanks. I think I should do a mock entry just to see all the things that are required for the app, and how long it takes to complete it.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks. I think I should do a mock entry just to see all the things that are required for the app, and how long it takes to complete it.

Somewhere on the website they note it is easiest to upload PDFs of your vaccine confirmations and the max size, so I had those scanned and saved before the cruise. I was glad I did, really easy to just pick the files but I’m going to change my naming to have 1 [name] and 2 [name] as on my iPhone the entire name didn’t show and I had 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 at the end of the name - and I couldn’t see it (wasn’t the end of the world as I could see the doc and figure out which was which, but number at the start would be easier). 

13 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Somewhere on the website they note it is easiest to upload PDFs of your vaccine confirmations and the max size, so I had those scanned and saved before the cruise. I was glad I did, really easy to just pick the files but I’m going to change my naming to have 1 [name] and 2 [name] as on my iPhone the entire name didn’t show and I had 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 at the end of the name - and I couldn’t see it (wasn’t the end of the world as I could see the doc and figure out which was which, but number at the start would be easier). 

Great information, and I'll make sure that I have all my docs in a row (pun intended).

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 11:31 AM, wendycook22 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I read one individuals experience with disembarkation PCR testing (Canada requirement for re-entry). I am looking to see what others have experienced.  We would be disembarking on a Saturday, however not flying on until Monday.  We must take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of our flight to Canada.

My questions are: 

1.  Will Celebrity provide us with our test even if we have post cruise plans (our flights are through Celebrity - staying 2 nights post cruise) 
2.  What experience did you have when scheduling your tests pre-embarkation?  What day(s) were testing?  Was there flexibility or able to request the morning of disembarkation?  

3 How are the test results given?
4. What is on the test results provided by the Cruise line?  I seen some say there is no date/time stamps for the actual day the test was taken, it just notes the day the results were provided.  

I am trying to see if we can swing being tested onboard that would meet our pre-arrival testing requirements.  

FYI, if you take a look at the thread entitled "Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog" - it is their last day of this cruise on the Equinox and they are doing all the testing this morning starting at 9:00.  Jim and Iain are doing a B2B so need to be tested, but I asked if they thought they were doing the travel testing as well at the same time and he thinks they are.  I'm hoping this is there new standard, as I would prefer the test on the last day.