Our first MSC cruise and our last - MSC Virtuosa

K8T

We’ve done a fair few cruises since our first in the Canberra in 1996, and had some experiences, but this cruise was notable for all the wrong reasons. 

We booked late,  sailing out of Liverpool on 24th. Not sure what to expect to be honest.  A relative has done 8 MSC and we were matched Diamond so all good. 

The ship is stunning inside, the bars excellent, the staff can’t do enough. 

However MSC were not enforcing masks or distancing, in fact they seemed to have too few staff and we didn’t see an officer all week!   Queuing an hour for water park tickets part under a covered walkway, is not COVID friendly, neither is the free for all buffet, with one small girl trying to get everyone to wash their hands, but after queuing for an hour, they naturally wanted to get straight in! 

The whole back of the buffet was empty, If MSC  didn’t have the staff, they shouldn’t have sold the cabins.  

We couldn’t  use the pools or hot tubs as they were absolutely crammed with kids and no adult area.    Sunbeds all reserved with towels by 8am.  It was MSC Benidorm, but MSC should have pool staff removing them.  If they haven’t the staff, dint take the fares! 

We have a teen and have cruised all her life in the holidays at the busiest times, but have never seen anything like this.  We even saw a family go to the late buffet and bring burgers on a plastic tray to eat in the champagne bar!, but no one said ‘excuse me you can’t bring buffet food in this bar’.  I know they may not want abuse, but come on MSC - standards! 

We have seen families on other ships thrown off for fighting during busy holidays, but MSC seemed to have no officers to deal with issues like this that arose - literally no backbone.  Other cruise lines have strict codes not MSC. 

The staff were excellent and I felt really sorry for them, they are doing their best and dealing with rude passengers.  However MSC shouldn’t have cashed in and filled the ship with cheap fares and stepped back.  

Cleaning was poor for these covid times, dirty tables, the VR rides had no cleaning between users.  Toilets lacked soap, but there was no one to tell.  Usually there is someone in and out toilets on other cruises. The theatre was packed side by side, no one wore masks.  If you don’t wear a mask you shouldn’t be allowed in, but no officers in sight to help support staff. In fact there were no staff in the theatre. 

The MDR for breakfast was unsafe (Blue Danube), we were 5 inches away from the table next to us and took an hour and half before we were even asked what we wanted.  I felt sorry for the staff and would have normally got up and walked out, be we patiently waited. My eggs Benedict was two poached eggs on toast with Hollandaise, I didn’t even bother sending it back.  

Thank goodness we were able to eat in the evening at Minuetto as we had the Aurea package. Although one night the queue was so long - we gave up after an hour - and went to the buffet.  Posh night too! 

We didn’t get any discounts and paid full price over £3,000 but, we didn’t get the cruise we paid for and my daughter tested positive when we got home and did LF tests.   Not surprising to be honest.  She wore a mask and is double vaccinated., but MSc knew there were teens positive for covid on Saturday, who got off, yet didn’t tell those remaining on board - which I now found out is illegal!   They didn’t do any cleaning or test the teens left on board. 

I now hear that someone on the same cruise has sadly passed away from Covid, dozens more testing positive.  

It was absolute carnage and negligence by MSC and they put the whole of cruising at risk of being shut down just to make a quick buck. 

• Like 1

Hopefully what happened on Virtuosa is an exception, and I think it is.  MSC has had a very good track record sailing during the pandemic.  

Here in the US, they are one of the very few ships that are sailing restricted cruises (or any cruises) under a green status.

Whatever happened on the Virtuosa, I believe it will be fixed.

• Like 3

I am so sorry you went through this but glad you are all OK.  

I have several cruises booked with MSC over the next 8 months on the principle they they are exceeding in the US at safety standards.  I too hope this is an outlier.

• Like 1

Hi all from the MSC Seaside,

Here, aboard the Seaside, I am also disappointed of the non respect of COVID rules. I did an excursion on a Double Decker bus, and no one was wearing a mask and bus was at full capacity! In theatre, crew seems to count the guests at the entrance, but the final result is a crowded theatre at ~80% capacity. As I am in Yacht Club, it is not so crowded up there, but in “normal” areas like pool, sooo many people around there. MSC seems to manage to reduce the risk for themselves, not for their guests. I think MSC is fine if less than x% of the guests are tested positive and that’s it. Everywhere it is written “Health is our priority”: I think it is right, but money comes before 😉 

Personally, in YC I am satisfied because it is not so crowded, but I wouldn’t been satisfied if I had a standard cabin. 

• Like 1

Mixing up with other people during excursion was not an issue (for MSC) during our cruise. - I’m not sure I wrote this down in my notes. It was possible, and done, walking in the town. Same at a cultural site. Same at a cafe. After cafe, the group was given 30 mins of free time to visit a so called “only allowed shop” pointed quite far away. Which most tour guests didn’t understand which shop is allowed or not. In effect no control of where you could go or not during that time. And people went.

24 minutes ago, LeCommandant said:

Hi all from the MSC Seaside,

Here, aboard the Seaside, I am also disappointed of the non respect of COVID rules. I did an excursion on a Double Decker bus, and no one was wearing a mask and bus was at full capacity! In theatre, crew seems to count the guests at the entrance, but the final result is a crowded theatre at ~80% capacity. As I am in Yacht Club, it is not so crowded up there, but in “normal” areas like pool, sooo many people around there. MSC seems to manage to reduce the risk for themselves, not for their guests. I think MSC is fine if less than x% of the guests are tested positive and that’s it. Everywhere it is written “Health is our priority”: I think it is right, but money comes before 😉 

Personally, in YC I am satisfied because it is not so crowded, but I wouldn’t been satisfied if I had a standard cabin. 

Were the seats blocked off at all?

Did you have to wear a mask in the theater?

MSC Seashore last week had good social distancing rules in the theatre, dining rooms and excursions.  But pools, hot tubs and lifts packed with no sign of staff controlling numbers.  

They tested everyone the day before disembarking in Barcelona - Spanish regulation I think.  

• 1 month later...

????? I'm confused about this rant - you booked a cruise during the biggest pandemic !!!! If you cant cope with being near other people - dont go on a cruise !  Not everyone wants to be policed on their holiday.  

MSC have one of the best records around covid and cleanliness - they were the first to start sailing in Italy and have been on the seas since June 2020.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

????? I'm confused about this rant

Why confused ?  MSC reneged on they promise.

They advertised very clearly, masks to be worn and social distancing would be enforced.  They Failed on both accounts and the OP is totally justified in complaining and bringing it to the attention of everyone that MSC cannot be trusted to honour their pledges.

• Like 3

Right, no one wants to be "policed" (not my term, puhleeze)....but if you sell a cruise promising certain safety precautions, you are obligated to make a reasonable effort to enforce it.  The airlines do an excellent job on this.   Instead of complaining about having to follow rules you agreed to in order to board, I would say you shouldn't go on a cruise if you are going to be frustrated at the prospect of having the rules enforced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhcruiser said:

Are UK cruisers required to be vaccinated and tested for Covid prior to the cruise?

Adults yes, children at the time of OPs cruise unvaccinated but tested I think.