Expired Self Test Kits

roger001

Carnival has just warned that the self tests that they have been selling, some have very soon expatriation dates, some before the scheduled cruise date of the guest using them.  If you buy a self test, check that it is going to last long enough to use.  

35 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Carnival has just warned that the self tests that they have been selling, some have very soon expatriation dates, some before the scheduled cruise date of the guest using them.  If you buy a self test, check that it is going to last long enough to use.  

Expiration....not expatriation....auto correct....dam....uh...damn!

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

If they are the BinaxNOW AG tests, the expiration date marked on the packaging has been extended.

EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Shellbelle28 said:

If they are the BinaxNOW AG tests, the expiration date marked on the packaging has been extended.

EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf 149.14 kB · 3 downloads

It did get me thinking.  I have four Everly Well PCR test kits that our health department gave me for future use if desired.  Just looked at their packaging.  It's sealed but no expiration date on it anywhere.  

Some additional shipping and expiration info on the Abbott BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag proctored home tests:

This past Sunday (Sept. 12), we ordered the 6-pack of test kits directly from eMed (the folks who proctor the tests.  They can also be ordered from Optum.)  Their promised 2-business day delivery was spot on; our kits were delivered by FedEx on the morning of Tuesday, Sept. 14.  The original expiration date on the box is Oct. 3, 2021, but I looked up the lot number on line and found an Abbott letter showing that the expiration date is actually Jan. 3, 2022, given the extension they got from the FDA.   

Before we purchased the kits, we noticed that eMed says (in their Refund policy) that the kits they are shipping now have an expiration date as early as December 2021.  I called eMed's customer service to ask exactly what this meant (Dec. 1? Another specific date in December?  All of December?)  I was told that the kits would be good through at least December 2021.  And that's what we got.

Hope this is helpful. 

Edited by Turtles06

It is probably the agent used on the testing spot/tube that expires.  So not a good idea to purchase them far in advance. That is an issue for some of us who plan so well. I guess is that includes many CC members. LOL

These companies really should have  a policy about what day of the month is the expiration date.   Usually it is the last day of the month. But as some have noted that is not always the case. 

Results from an expired test kit may be/probably are unreliable.  

Does anyone have a result that shows the expiration date of the test?  It should be noted in the results report.  And it seems that at least with Carnival, personnel will actually be checking the dates. 

Thanks for the heads up. 

37 minutes ago, milolii said:

It is probably the agent used on the testing spot/tube that expires.  So not a good idea to purchase them far in advance. That is an issue for some of us who plan so well. I guess is that includes many CC members. LOL

I'm glad it's not just me.  I'm already calling pharmacies to see what tests they give and the cost.  My cruise is in December 🙂