Covid BinaxNow Test kit expiring soon. Need Advice.

Just received the at home test kit that RCCL linked us to.  I decided to do it because in my city, there is no guarantee I will get the results on a free test back in 48 hours of or less, so I decided to go this route to be safe, and because it was cheaper - My city is charging upwards of $150 per test for a rapid test!  🤯

Our cruise is October 15th and the tests I received expire on October 5th!  I called E-Med (the company that administers the result) and they advised the test is good until December.  Not sure if I trust this.  I thought about returning and ordering a new one, but I'm assuming they may just send the same one again. ??   

Anyone else experience this?    I'm afraid of a last minute issue.   

Edited by GetMeToTheSpa

You're safe, but it seems like shady business practices and something of a rip-off, especially given that Royal and Carnival are linking to their sites now and promoting the tests. They neglected to mention that most people are getting near-expired tests, including those who ordered 6 tests, hoping to use them into next year. It seems like they're using cruisers to get rid of their near-expired product. The pack of 3 I got is extended to the beginning of January, but I wouldn't feel comfortable ordering from them again until they start producing and shipping orders that are valid for 12  months. It's really depressing how difficult the cruise lines are making it to travel, with not allowing vaccinated to use the port testing already in place for the unvaccinated, promoting home tests that are about to expire, and shortening the test window, with no recompense if people are unable to get test results. Even Carnival just sent out an email saying their plan for backup port testing is too expensive so they won't do it. The exception continues to be NCL, with free and easy port testing, and Princess at least offers an FCC or full refund if you don't have test results and bought their travel insurance. So I'll be canceling my two remaining RC cruises this year, along with a Carnival one, and I booked one on Princess last night and will go with either a Princess or NCL in November. The other reason I'm going with them is 100% vaccination for passengers, and no indoor masking required on NCL.

I called them, also, and got the same answer:  3 months after the expiration date on the box (the hourglass icon). 

Lucky I got these, as my son is going to Chicago for a concert over the weekend, and one of his buddies just found out his airline AND employer require a rapid test result.  I gave my son 2 of mine for his friend to use, and explained the Navica app and emed.com appointment. 

Emed is now taking 3 days for shipping.

2 minutes ago, rj59 said:

You're safe, but it seems like shady business practices and something of a rip-off, especially given that Royal and Carnival are linking to their sites now and promoting the tests. They neglected to mention that most people are getting near-expired tests, including those who ordered 6 tests, hoping to use them into next year.

That's me above.  I'm calmer now, and have them to share with my family.  Not only what I posted above about the concert in Chicago, but my step-grandson will need several for traveling back from college for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I paid a little over the price for 1 rapid test at a retail pharmacy, so I'm OK with the situation now.

I'm actually delighted that RCCL posted that link to buy 2 or 3-pack.  Much less expensive.  I found that optum.com sells them for the same price in the same quantities, so there's no rip-off going on with RCCL.  The cost is the same, including free shipping, that I paid per kit for 6 of them with shipping costs. 

It's all good.

8 minutes ago, rj59 said:

So I'll be canceling my two remaining RC cruises this year, along with a Carnival one, and I booked one on Princess last night and will go with either a Princess or NCL in November. The other reason I'm going with them is 100% vaccination for passengers, and no indoor masking required on NCL.

Sounds like you'll be happier with these cruises!  I suggest you take a mask anyway, because some of the ports may require them, or may have higher COVID stats.

4 hours ago, rj59 said:

You're safe, but it seems like shady business practices and something of a rip-off, especially given that Royal and Carnival are linking to their sites now and promoting the tests. They neglected to mention that most people are getting near-expired tests, including those who ordered 6 tests, hoping to use them into next year. It seems like they're using cruisers to get rid of their near-expired product.

It's really depressing how difficult the cruise lines are making it to travel, with not allowing vaccinated to use the port testing already in place for the unvaccinated, promoting home tests that are about to expire, and shortening the test window, with no recompense if people are unable to get test results. 

I agree.  I feel like waiting for the hopefully newer batches to come out.

Somehow all this talk of telemed testing erupted within the last 6 weeks to the point of mad dash and scramble.  I feel like they will get hard to find like toilet paper a year ago until more are produced.

But at the port if for some reason even vaccinated somehow picked up the virus, then it is isolation immediately and there ya go.  Now unless you drove, you are stuck.  Better to test at home and they should put back the window to 3 DAY.    CDC just has it in for cruiselines and not other travel or recreational fun.    

On 9/15/2021 at 1:01 PM, rj59 said:

You're safe, but it seems like shady business practices and something of a rip-off, especially given that Royal and Carnival are linking to their sites now and promoting the tests. They neglected to mention that most people are getting near-expired tests, including those who ordered 6 tests, hoping to use them into next year. It seems like they're using cruisers to get rid of their near-expired product. 

ALL of the test kits so far produced were made in Dec/Jan.

There are no newer kits.

I suspect that once we get closer to the new expiration date, FDA will approve another extension.

Edited by SRF